Thread: dark souls

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

dark souls

im at the level before bell gargoyle. i play as the knight, but rolling and dodging attacks is a nightmare. its way too slow. any tips ?

also how to kill the gargoyle ?

Deleted
    Get your vitality up so you can wear heavy armor without being encumbered. Or you can just equip lighter armor. Otherwise if you're going as a full warrior/knight person you could invest points into adaptability to get agility up for more dodge frames and an easier time all around, you will still be slow.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're playing ds1 so the comment above this one (alexton) isn't fully useful since adaptability doesnt exist in ds2, what that stat does is that it increases the invincibility frames when dodging, DS1 doesn't have that, the way this one works with invincibility frames is different, it's tied to your rolling speed.

There are a few things you might wanna get in check first:
    -In DS its always better to be good at roling than blocking.
    -In DS you always want to have a good ammount of vitality for your first runs, but be wary of diminishing returns, around 35-40 vit is quite good (50 is ideal for pvping mostly).
    -Never level up resistance.

Now to the basics of rolling:
    -Weight affects your rolling speed, invincibility frames and your stamina recovery, always wearing heavy gear will give you a harder time for stamina management, once you get used to that you'll get the hang of it.
    -Ideally for gargoyles i tend to go with really light gear, mostly leather for an easier time dodging.
    -You could get a certain ring called ring of fire and protection, i wouldn't recommend it for your first run since it's quite "overpowered" but it's good, i tend to use it in all my builds =P (it gives you extra hp/stamina/weight capacity).
    -To achieve more weight capacity you can also get havel's ring (for this one you'll need to get good at dodging so atm is off the charts, as i said before, don't get it because it might ruin your experience in the game, kinda trivializes gear on your first run).

For gear:
    -Do try to remain with a good ammount of humanity on your counter, humanity is the big number next to your hp/stamina, this will increase enemy droprate (up to like 210% item find at 10 humanity, that's the cap) and curse resistance, this is specially good once you get to the sewer because you can farm rats that give you humanity really easily.

For estus flask:
    -Remember to use the fire essences on the firekeeper so you get +1 on your estus flask, increasing the hp you gain.
    -You can use bonfires to return to human and then kindle the bonfire (that means losing 1 humanity for turning human and another one for kindling) to get an extra 5 estus flask charges everytime you sit on that bonfire (later on you'll get an item that allows you to kindle your bonfire 2 times more).

*ALWAYS REMEMBER YOU CAN UPGRADE YOUR GEAR ON THE BLACKSMITH BEFORE THE GARGOYLES, he's on an area at the right of the church near a bonfire.
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

Kill the first before the second one comes... Maybe grind a balder side sword in the area before it.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

10+ Year Old Account
    Another thing that i'd like to say:
    -Remember that shields bocks will burn your stamina faster than rolling and some shields weight a lot, or theey don't even mitigate 100% of the damage you take, i got 2 examples for you:

a) Heater shield -> Can be bought on the merchant, this shield is extremely good because it only weights 3.0 and it has 100% normal damage mitigation, it's so good for casters that you'll se meta builds using them.
    b) Dragon crest shield -> Huge fire dmg mitigation but not total normal damage mitigation, it's specially good vs the gargoyles fires =P
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by barackopala View Post
    Another thing that i'd like to say:
    -Remember that shields bocks will burn your stamina faster than rolling and some shields weight a lot, or theey don't even mitigate 100% of the damage you take, i got 2 examples for you:

a) Heater shield -> Can be bought on the merchant, this shield is extremely good because it only weights 3.0 and it has 100% normal damage mitigation, it's so good for casters that you'll se meta builds using them.
    b) Dragon crest shield -> Huge fire dmg mitigation but not total normal damage mitigation, it's specially good vs the gargoyles fires =P
    ive been watching bloodborne alpha gameplay (that i wont ever play as i dont own ps4 and definately wont get it, any console for that matter) and guy there doesnt use shield at all, he only dodges and does it REALLY fast and efficient.

i know its a different game (soulish nonetheless) but what would be the best gear/class choice in dark souls to achieve that ?
    it seems way more enjoyable, paying attention to monster mechanincs and actually dodging it, than trying to block and trying to dodge as knight but infact getting shrekt to death

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AC3w3moXwAQ the video

10+ Year Old Account
    You don't need any kind of class to begin with, all the class choice does is differ in starting gear and stat allocation, just change your gear to fit around the 25% weight cap, you can even go without any gear whatsoever.

Imo the best gear is the one you find in the darkroot basin (elite knight set) due to its poise, good armor and resistance whilst looking cool, the other good set might be the one at the ceaseless discharge but you won't get there until later on (you can rush to this boss once you get "better" after a few runs, i love doing faster and faster runs, no speedrunning tho, i suck at that!).

I'd recommend you getting some endurance and possibly the FAP ring (but remember, it may be a bit too good at the beggining, if you wanna get it go for it, it's quite nifty, wiki it or look on a youtube guide on how to do it). One of the other tips for gargoyles is using one of the gold pine resins you find before the bridge boss (taurus demon), the gargoyles are weak to lightning damage.

You can also use summoning before gargoyles (summon solaire) but imo it makes the fight so easy that you won't learn much nor enjoy the beautiful experience of slaying the gargoyles, in my first run i "punished" myself to not use any summons whatsoever on ANY fight, it definately made future runs faster and even easier, you'll definately get better!

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't avoid swapping to different armor for certain fights too much. My favourite playstyle on DS is very heavy Str characters and on a few fights you'll be best off swapping to light armor (especially w/ high resists) or even no armor at all on one or two.
    Her hall is called Eljudnir,
    her dish is Hunger,
    her knife is Famine,
    her slave is Lazy,
    and Slothful is her woman servant.

Deleted
    You're playing ds1 so the comment above this one (alexton) isn't fully useful since adaptability doesnt exist in ds2, what that stat does is that it increases the invincibility frames when dodging, DS1 doesn't have that, the way this one works with invincibility frames is different, it's tied to your rolling speed.

There are a few things you might wanna get in check first:
    -In DS its always better to be good at roling than blocking.
    -In DS you always want to have a good ammount of vitality for your first runs, but be wary of diminishing returns, around 35-40 vit is quite good (50 is ideal for pvping mostly).
    -Never level up resistance.

Now to the basics of rolling:
    -Weight affects your rolling speed, invincibility frames and your stamina recovery, always wearing heavy gear will give you a harder time for stamina management, once you get used to that you'll get the hang of it.
    -Ideally for gargoyles i tend to go with really light gear, mostly leather for an easier time dodging.
    -You could get a certain ring called ring of fire and protection, i wouldn't recommend it for your first run since it's quite "overpowered" but it's good, i tend to use it in all my builds =P (it gives you extra hp/stamina/weight capacity).
    -To achieve more weight capacity you can also get havel's ring (for this one you'll need to get good at dodging so atm is off the charts, as i said before, don't get it because it might ruin your experience in the game, kinda trivializes gear on your first run).

For gear:
    -Do try to remain with a good ammount of humanity on your counter, humanity is the big number next to your hp/stamina, this will increase enemy droprate (up to like 210% item find at 10 humanity, that's the cap) and curse resistance, this is specially good once you get to the sewer because you can farm rats that give you humanity really easily.

For estus flask:
    -Remember to use the fire essences on the firekeeper so you get +1 on your estus flask, increasing the hp you gain.
    -You can use bonfires to return to human and then kindle the bonfire (that means losing 1 humanity for turning human and another one for kindling) to get an extra 5 estus flask charges everytime you sit on that bonfire (later on you'll get an item that allows you to kindle your bonfire 2 times more).

*ALWAYS REMEMBER YOU CAN UPGRADE YOUR GEAR ON THE BLACKSMITH BEFORE THE GARGOYLES, he's on an area at the right of the church near a bonfire.
    That's a load of shit, if you get a good shield you can block everything without any worries or without running the risk of failing a dodge.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Khatolic View Post
    im at the level before bell gargoyle. i play as the knight, but rolling and dodging attacks is a nightmare. its way too slow. any tips ?

also how to kill the gargoyle ?
    What kind of a weapon are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by David Coppershield View Post
    That's a load of shit, if you get a good shield you can block everything without any worries or without running the risk of failing a dodge.
    Cool casual granny strats bro.

Real men dodge and kill the boss faster, with swag.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post

That's what I do, but I wouldn't suggest it to a beginner like an asshole.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post

Real swag is having an endurance bar the length of your screen and never having to move at all .
    Her hall is called Eljudnir,
    her dish is Hunger,
    her knife is Famine,
    her slave is Lazy,
    and Slothful is her woman servant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by David Coppershield View Post

- - - Updated - - -

That's a load of casual, it's always fun to kill the newbies that blockspam, have fun on S&O when blocking or vs anyone running combustion or black flame, destruction ensues, if you dont have good poise then it's over mang.
    Blocking burns stamina way faster and is easily punishable, any player capable of using a shotel or just zweispam will wrek the shit out of a newb.

Seriously, just learning how to dodge will save you most of the time, then you get to learn how to parry in anor londo and it's all ez pz, blocking is not inherently bad but it's way too easy to get punished for blocking, specially in anor londo on the archer part.
    Last edited by barackopala; 2015-02-08 at 03:43 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    im using the hellkite drake sword + shield

im using the hellkite drake sword + shield
    please for the love of god stop using the drake sword and stop reading a guide. those completely ruin the game.
    if you really can't do it, try summoning solaire by going human (using a humanity at a bonfire), and using his sign before the boss fight. if it's not there, then you didn't talk to him before the hellkite drake on the platform. if you want to use a good weapon, try grabbing the claymore on the dragon bridge (if you can).
    Last edited by Allyosaugh; 2015-02-08 at 08:03 AM.
    hey

If you want to ignore blocking entirely and just dodge everything, no gear is the best. Seriously, go naked except for rings and a weapon. In Dark Souls, damage is far superior to defense. Resins, two handing shit and eventually using Red Tearstone Ring allows you to murder anything in just a few hits.

To give you an idea of what I'm talking about, speedrunners kill the boss you're stuck on in like 15 seconds. It's just a case of constant aggression and two handing a weapon with gold pine resin.

I personally find it more fun to get the heaviest armor and shield possible, turning myself into a wall of fuck you. Dodging is superior though.

That's a load of casual, it's always fun to kill the newbies that blockspam, have fun on S&O when blocking or vs anyone running combustion or black flame, destruction ensues, if you dont have good poise then it's over mang.
    Blocking burns stamina way faster and is easily punishable, any player capable of using a shotel or just zweispam will wrek the shit out of a newb.

Seriously, just learning how to dodge will save you most of the time, then you get to learn how to parry in anor londo and it's all ez pz, blocking is not inherently bad but it's way too easy to get punished for blocking, specially in anor londo on the archer part.
    PvP isn't the subject.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    If you want to ignore blocking entirely and just dodge everything, no gear is the best. Seriously, go naked except for rings and a weapon. In Dark Souls, damage is far superior to defense. Resins, two handing shit and eventually using Red Tearstone Ring allows you to murder anything in just a few hits.

To give you an idea of what I'm talking about, speedrunners kill the boss you're stuck on in like 15 seconds. It's just a case of constant aggression and two handing a weapon with gold pine resin.

I personally find it more fun to get the heaviest armor and shield possible, turning myself into a wall of fuck you. Dodging is superior though.
    Becoming a wall of absolute retardation and immobility has always been my goto for Dark Souls. In 2, I used all heavy armor, a greatshield, and a greatsword. I didn't give a fuck, I just like being a juggernaut, even if I'm making it needlessly difficult on myself.

10+ Year Old Account
    i think i have some claymore, yeah.

about summoning solitaire, before u mean before entering the mist door or after when im on the roof ?

10+ Year Old Account
    i think i have some claymore, yeah.

about summoning solitaire, before u mean before entering the mist door or after when im on the roof ?
    Before entering the mist. You need to be human to see his summoning sign.

Edit: Also ignore the guy saying to not use the Drake Sword. It's one of the best weapons in the game at your level, you aren't going to have proper stats yet to make anything scale better than the high base damage it provides. I agree with him saying to not look at guides your first time through, but saying not to use the drake sword is terrible advice. It's really powerful if you have it right away, which you do.

As for the gargoyles, just keep blocking and moving around and watch their attack patterns. Make sure you avoid their breath and avoid running out of stamina. Don't attack unless you have an opening when they're recovering from their own attacks. This boss fight is pretty much there to teach you the basics of this game's boss combat.
    Last edited by Uoyredrum; 2015-02-08 at 12:30 PM.