Mage DPS help please

Hello, my guild has almost finished with normal BRF and would like to start pushing through through heroic. I have been told that my 22-23k dps is too low for my ilvl but I believe it is because my gear has different stat values all of over the place. I have tried my arcane spec on training dummies and found that I do less DPS than frost. If my gear is suited for a better spec please recommend it. I have time today to do some highmaul and get some more logs.
    My character name is chuckki.

I cant post links yet, if you would like me to send you logs please send me a PM.
    For my armory I am chuckki on Illidian
    Thanks for any assistance.
    Last edited by chuckado; 2015-02-07 at 04:22 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here's the armoury.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...uckki/advanced

22-23k does sound a bit low for 665, what bosses were you doing that on? I did 20.7k at 648 on Gruul progress whilst being too busy calling out stuff hence I completely ballsed up my rotation.

Can you send me the logs please, I'll post them on here for you - or at least tell me the guild name and the server and maybe I can find them. Not sure I can be of much help on them but I'd like to take a look.

Edit: dw I found your armoury so I can easily find the logs, duhh... sec lemme check.

Edit 2: I found this... https://www.warcraftlogs.com/guilds/62035

This is you guys I imagine. Can't really tell much from a singular iron maidens kill. DPS doesn't look too bad for that from first glance but it is low. As frost, your secondary stats are all worth very similar values so the gear argument kinda doesn't float for frost from what I understand. You need to go learn arcane. Only 19 water jets on a 10 minute fight? Either my maths is wrong or that's low. Your gear isn't badly set up for arcane at all, your haste is really low which will be your second best stat after mastery but other than that it's not the worse.

People who think they're being held back by their secondary stats are overestimating the gaps between them. It's not like it used to be. There is a difference but it's not as if they do nothing.
    Last edited by MerinPally; 2015-02-07 at 04:38 PM.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

I did heroic highmaul as arcane and I am not sure what my issue is. I feel like have the basic rotation down. Any pointers would be awesome. If you could add my logs for me it would be greatly appreciated.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you send them to me that'd be grand and I'll post them, maybe even go through them when I'm sober. I just checked the log page that I found again and got nothing so I kinda need you to have some input here
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckado View Post
    I did heroic highmaul as arcane and I am not sure what my issue is. I feel like have the basic rotation down. Any pointers would be awesome. If you could add my logs for me it would be greatly appreciated.
    This concerns Frost spec because arcane is clunky and dumb.

First of all you are manually casting your pets water jet right? Cast it as soon as you start a series of 2 frostbolts when you have no procsand be ready to fire off the FoF procs when they come in after the second frostbolt leaves.

Secondly, at least for me after I managed to get the pull down my Dps rose considerably, most of frosts DPS relies on a good pull where all our CD's are up at the same time.

Here are the logs from heroic highmaul where I tried arcane. From the looks of them it seems like I did not cast arcane blast enough and possibly did not cast arcane missiles enough. I also noticed that I only casted evocation once, this is because after getting to 50% mana during my burn phase i finished my rotation of missiles before doing evocation and I found that I was quite close to 80-85% so I did not cast evocation was this the wrong approach? Should I have done arcane blast to 50% then just used evocation? I will also be switching nether tempest to supernova because I think it goes much best with crystal.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/LHtgWvzqPA4NVbTj

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckado View Post
    Here are the logs from heroic highmaul where I tried arcane. From the looks of them it seems like I did not cast arcane blast enough and possibly did not cast arcane missiles enough. I also noticed that I only casted evocation once, this is because after getting to 50% mana during my burn phase i finished my rotation of missiles before doing evocation and I found that I was quite close to 80-85% so I did not cast evocation was this the wrong approach? Should I have done arcane blast to 50% then just used evocation? I will also be switching nether tempest to supernova because I think it goes much best with crystal.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/LHtgWvzqPA4NVbTj
    If you doing a burn phase and you end on 80-85% mana that means you're not burning correctly. The whole point of the burn phase is that you are mashing Arcane Blast until your finger goes through the keyboard and use missiles procs. On a missile proc you hit that then go back to pounding the Arcane Blast key. When you hit 50% mana and you have no missiles charges, that's when your burn phase is over.

Unless I'm reading it wrong, your Butcher kill which is as stand still and nuke as it gets, is that a 46% Nether Tempest uptime? That's probably some of the problem. No second potion on that fight either, and you got 20 missiles procs which is 5 bolts each so 100 casts but you only managed 83? That seems a little on the low side, I don't know if you got a fair few interruptions.

I mean lets compare to a similar length fight that I had recently - a Gruul kill on which I played like shit, to say the least.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...-done&source=9

On a 4:42 fight I got 81 blasts off and 135 missiles. That's a large gap in a 40 second fight difference, more than is possible to cast (maybe). I'm going to assume my numbers are slightly inflated due to messing up the rotation as I was too busy talking down mumble. Notice also how my Supernova did more damage than your nether tempest, and you're a lot better geared, so imagine what you could be doing with that spell. Hell I even missed a Prismatic Crystal I played so badly, it's rather embarrassing.

But you get the picture - it looks like you're not mashing buttons quite enough. If you were pressing your buttons as much as I was (and I'm sure I could do more) then to match fight length, you'd have needed to get another 80 casts off in 40 seconds which is... ambitious. That plus an incorrect sounding burn phase.

Most of your questions can be answered from the Arcane guide:
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-*6-1-updated*

I did 23k with my 647 Arcane mage on butcher HC last time. so you are doing something wrong.

At your gear level I would recommend sticking with frost arcane doesn't start out scaling frost until around 680. But looking over your logs I can give you some tips with arcane at least.

First of all i recommend using supernova over nether tempest it is much easier to use and a single target dps increase.
    This is analyzing your heroic butcher log.
    You start the fight with PC and proceed to arcane blast it without 4 stacks of arcane charge, you do however pop arcane power when you do reach 4 stacks of arcane charge which is correct you should be holding your crystal til you get 4 stacks of arcane charge as well.

Opener should look like this
    Prepot
    Precast arcane blast
    arcane blastx3
    prismatic/arcane power/any on use trinkets or racials
    supernova to get the cd rolling
    Then proceed to dump arcane blasts/missile proccs onto crystal(try not to clip your last cast on the crystal) once you reach 50% evo and then proceed to conserve phase.

You also used barrage before evocating you want to evocate with 4 stacks of arcane charge for the increase regen on mana so you won't sit there evocating for 6 seconds like you did instead if you evocate at 50% with 4 stacks of arcane charge you should wait for 2 ticks which by then you'll be back up to 100% or if you evo with bloodlust/heroism you should be topped off with one tick.