Deleted

Computer hardware keeps running after shutdown.

On and off for a while now I've been having problems with my computer not turning off and on without me turning off the power supply. I'll click "Shutdown" and Windows 7 will shut down like it should, I then hear a sudden change of rythm from the case and harddrive fans but they won't shut off even when I press the power button. I have to turn off the power supply for the computer to shut down.

Also, from time to time, I'm not able to turn on the computer. This happens rarely however. Basically it will start tup as usual until the Gigabyte flashscreen, where it will enter an infinite loop until I turn off the PSU.

I built this computer in 2011 and have since upgraded it several times. This issue, however, doesn't seem to be related to any hardware upgrades. I've tried looking for help before but haven't managed to find anyone who was able to help me solve my problem. I recall having tried flashing my BIOS and resetting my motherboard battery but it didn't solve my problem.

The specs are in the signature, I'm also running Windows 7 64bit Ultimate

Sounds like a misbehaving power supply to me. Have another you can test with?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciddy View Post
    Sounds like a misbehaving power supply to me. Have another you can test with?
    Could be the issue. However, the only other power supply I have is from a shitty HP desktop, maybe 250W which I wouldn't dare put in my baby.

Try disconnecting your case from your motherboard. I had experienced exact same issue and it turned out that one of the case buttons were broken, making motherboard think they're held down all the time.
    Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.7GHz | MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G x2 in SLI | ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 Motherboard
    8 GB of Kingston HyperX DDR3 | Western Digital Caviar Green 1 TB | Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB
    2x Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB + Corsair Force 3 120 GB SSDs (three-way raid 0)
    Cooler Master HAF 912 plus case | Corsair AX1200 power supply | Thermaltake NiC C5 Untouchable CPU cooler
    Asus PG278Q ROG SWIFT (1440p @ 144 Hz, GSync + 3D vision)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunius View Post
    Try disconnecting your case from your motherboard. I had experienced exact same issue and it turned out that one of the case buttons were broken, making motherboard think they're held down all the time.
    I'll have to try this tomorrow as I'm going to sleep. I just want to add that when my computer enters this state after shutdown a red LED turns on labeled "PHASE LED" on the motherboard.

- - - Updated - - -

Turns out there are 4 LEDs. The top one is red, the second one is yellow and I think the bottom two are green.

7+ Year Old Account
    When this happened to me it turned out that one of my case USB ports (on the top in my case) had been shorted by cat barf. Kitty barfed on top of my case, and a small amount got into one of the USB ports. I cleaned everything out completely, but one USB port didn't work after that. I didn't really think anything of it since I didn't need all the USB ports anyway...but I found out that non-functioning USB port was keeping my computer from shutting down properly.

I disconnected the header that went to those ports (the USB 3.0 ones) and the computer started shutting down properly again. Then I spent $10 and replaced the case USB ports (which wasn't too difficult), and everything works fine again with all ports connected.

Now, in my case it was a broken port. But I imagine a misbehaving USB device might be able to cause the same thing.

Deleted
    The back USB headers and the case don't appear to be the problem. I unplugged everything connected to the case and removed all USB and audio equipment after scheduling a timed shutdown. The problem could be with the motherboard or PSU but I don't have any way to test that and I doubt my warrenty is still valid since I bought them in Nov 2011.

Any suggestions?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Platinus View Post
    I doubt my warrenty is still valid since I bought them in Nov 2011.

Any suggestions?
    Worth double checking.

Often components like RAM will have a lifetime warranty,
    PSU's range from 1 year to 10years. (Typical marker for good PSUs are 5-7 years)
    Motherboards are usually 2-3.

Can't remember if any cases come with warranty since they are usually expected either be broken on arrival, or work flawlessly till they get thrown away.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Platinus View Post
    The back USB headers and the case don't appear to be the problem. I unplugged everything connected to the case and removed all USB and audio equipment after scheduling a timed shutdown. The problem could be with the motherboard or PSU but I don't have any way to test that and I doubt my warrenty is still valid since I bought them in Nov 2011.

Any suggestions?
    If you've narrowed all that out and the system is working fine otherwise, it could just be a software/OS issue. Might be worth reinstalling Windows to see if that fixes it.