10+ Year Old Account

Lightbulb Winds of Change (Fan Made Lore Idea)

Hello All,

This is a topic I've spoken about in the past, but never really pieced it together until now to give an idea of how it might work should Blizz ever follow this path. Faction unlocks across the board is not a bad idea, but for the purpose of Lore, would not make a great deal of sense as it relates to your specific character. Also, without its own starting Zone, like Death Knights, there would be no real back story as to why you woke up as a Gnome in Durotar. So, the goal here would be to stick with Lore as closely as possible, while also making the transition a choice. Let's begin.

Alliance version
    Quest: Winds of Change (Alliance)
    At Level 20, you receive two letters in your mailbox. One is from Master Mathias Shaw whom you've had dealings with in the past on a few items, including the investigation leading to your arrival in Twilight Highlands, and a certain mission in Pandaria. The other letter, from someone you've never met... Thalen Songweaver, a member of the Horde who helped Garrosh during his war crimes, and escaped during the confusion at the trial. How this letter ended up in your mailbox is a complete mystery.

Shaw's Letter (Alliance):

"It has come to my attention that some members of the Alliance are being targeted for recruitment by the Horde in some effort to infiltrate the Alliance, or simply take from us denizens who are loyal to the crown, and King Varian Wrynn. Please come see me at the location marked on your map (Elwynn forest near Mirror Lake) and confirm your allegiance to the Alliance to curb any worries of retribution from any member of the Alliance."

Thalen's Letter (Alliance):

"Greetings Citizen of Azeroth. You are likely wondering about this parchment in your hand, and how it came to be in your daily post. Well, that is of little concern. What is of greater concern would be its purpose. I am someone who has a great interest in your future on Azeroth. My spies tell me your training is progressing at a rate far more advanced than your peers, and you are showing great promise. We could use someone like you to help champion our cause and help bring us to the very pinnacle of success. Seek me out at the location marked on this map (Durotar, about 500 feet from Orgrimmar near the river) and we can further discuss your glorious future as a member of the Horde. Farewell!"

Completion (Alliance):

Option 1 - Visit Matthias Shaw, and pledge your allegiance to the Alliance. The quest ends, and you are rewarded with 10k rep for Stormwind and 100g.

Option 2 - Visit Thalen Songweaver, sign his contract with your own blood, and begin a 12 quest chain now hated by the Alliance, and Neutral with the Horde, ending with a final reward of 10k rep for Orgrimmar and 100g.
    Horde version
    Quest: Winds of Change (Horde)
    At Level 20, you receive two letters in your mailbox. One is from Master Mathias Shaw whom you've only heard whispers about. How this letter ended up in your mailbox is a complete mystery.The other letter, from Thalen Songweaver, a member of the Horde who helped Garrosh during his war crimes, and escaped during the confusion at the trial.

Thalen's Letter (Horde):

"It has come to my attention that some members of the Horde are being targeted for recruitment by the Alliance in some effort to infiltrate the Horde, or simply take from us denizens who are loyal to the council, and our warchief Vol'jin. Please come see me at the location on your map (Durotar, about 500 feet from Orgrimmar near the river) to swear your allegiance to the Horde in your own blood, and you will no longer have any worries of retribution from any member of the Horde."

Shaw's Letter (Horde):

"Greetings Citizen of Azeroth. You are likely wondering about this parchment in your hand, and how it came to be in your daily post. Well, that is of little concern. What is of greater concern would be its purpose. I am someone who has a great interest in your future on Azeroth. My spies tell me your training is progressing at a rate far more advanced than your peers, and you are showing great promise. We could use someone like you to help champion our cause and help bring us to the very pinnacle of success. Seek me out at the location marked on this map (Elwynn forest near Mirror Lake) and we can further discuss your glorious future as a member of the Alliance. Farewell!"

Completion (Horde):

Option 1 - Visit Thalen Songweaver, and swear your allegiance to the Horde. The quest ends, and you are rewarded with 10k rep for Orgrimmar and 100g.

Option 2 - Visit Mathias Shaw, sign his contract with SI:7, and begin a 12 quest chain now hated by the Horde, and Neutral with the Alliance, ending with a final reward of 10k rep for Stormwind and 100g.
    Achievement tied to the questline for a successful defection to the opposing faction:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are several factions currently in WoW that have Horde and Alliance races cooperating. Twilight's Hammer, Darkmoon Faire, Cenarion Circle, The Argent Crusade, and more. The best part is, not everyone will want to do it, so defectors would be few and far between. You would have to hit lvl 20 just to get the quest, and then complete all of the steps. This would prevent Orgrimmar/Stormwind from being flooded with lvl 1s. Only those who are serious would even go for it. Everyone else will head straight to their guy for some free rep and gold to help them pay for riding and get some new gear as a thank you for their allegiance to their home faction.

So, there is my topic. Have of it what you will. I hope you enjoyed the read.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well I have to admit it makes sense to have thalen being there, but again not so much as you see he blew up theramore and now you are able to go to alliance [I]through him? it would make sense if it was a spy quest.[/I]

Edit: Sorry I misread that second line, Does this mean we are abe to get alliance orcs blood elves etc? if so......

For me the paladin/shaman issue back in bc was kind of a big deal.. having a quest series to get to the other side.. which makes me think of a HUGE group of people who wanna be high elves...if that is true, il would give it a nogo.
    Last edited by Alanar; 2015-02-08 at 01:32 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alanar View Post
    Well I have to admit it makes sense to have thalen being there, but again not so much as you see he blew up theramore and now you are able to go to alliance through him? it would make sense if it was a spy quest.

Edit: Sorry I misread that second line, Does this mean we are abe to get alliance orcs blood elves etc? if so......

For me the paladin/shaman issue back in bc was kind of a big deal.. having a quest series to get to the other side.. which makes me think of a HUGE group of people who wanna be high elves...if that is true, il would give it a nogo.
    That is exactly what it would mean. At level 20, your Blood Elf gets two letters. The one from Mathias Shaw directs you to Elwynn Forest near Mirror Lake. You accept his challenge, instantly making you Neutral with the Alliance and 36k HATED by the Horde. You are no longer subject to attack by the Alliance. You finish a quest chain, and are rewarded with 10k rep for Stormwind, and are now a Blood Elf for the Alliance. Voila! Now you are pretty much a High Elf, save for the eye coloring.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    I absolutely love how they measure your loyality by asking you "Dude are you loyal ? Yes ? That so rad bro, here have 100g !!!"

Also nothing beats sending offer of betraying your country in public mail.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    I absolutely love how they measure your loyality by asking you "Dude are you loyal ? Yes ? That so rad bro, here have 100g !!!"

Also nothing beats sending offer of betraying your country in public mail.
    I'm sure the specifics could be handled a bit better. But to make it a tad more immersive than a quest that pops at 20, like learning to ride at 20, I figured the mailbox from an anonymous source was a nice touch. Also, the gold and rep for not betraying your faction should be just as big a reward for someone who doesn't want to switch, as someone who does.

Deleted
    Thalen Songweaver is no longer associated with the Horde, given that he was instrumental in Garrosh's escape. You seem to already know this which confuses me somewhat as to why you'd use him as a Horde recruiter?

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonticus View Post
    Thalen Songweaver is no longer associated with the Horde, given that he was instrumental in Garrosh's escape. You seem to already know this which confuses me somewhat as to why you'd use him as a Horde recruiter?
    If transdimensional traitor responsible for nuclear attack send you a letter in which he wants you to betray your country would you refuse ? Guy seems honest and will definately not use you.

10+ Year Old Account
    He was the only Horde Spy I could think of who might equal Mathias Shaw. But for the purpose of the topic, please feel free to insert your own Horde spy into the part of the Horde recruiter.

Deleted
    Thanks for the interesting read. I really like your spin on this matter. Good job.

But the betrayer-angle doesn't really tickle my fancy. I don't want to be made a traitor simply because I might find one faction better than the other. After all, I was born into my original faction. Should I be labelled because of it?

Take Wrathion for instance. His primary objective is to save Azeroth, and he will work with whomever he feels is better at the task.

So while I think your way of initiating the quest is great, I would prefer if it took you on an emotional roller-coaster instead. You could be sent on a special mission to rescue prisoners from somewhere. In the process, you end up being taken prisoner yourself along with someone from the other faction. You might be forced into cooperation just to get out alive, and along the way you see new landscapes, meet interesting people, and experience a side of the other faction you never thought existed.

Eventually, you might deliver your new friend to its Horde / Alliance peers, having saved him / her. Perhaps you even get to meet the Warchief or King, if it was someone important. There, you're faced with a choice. Either leave in peace and return home a hero, or stay and make a new life for yourself as an honorary member of this new faction.
    Last edited by mmocf747bdc2eb; 2015-02-08 at 03:34 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Totally into the spy aspect of this. during LK where would my belf rogue hang out? Org? Nah. Too spikey. Silvermoon? Are you kidding? Way out of the way? Lagaran? <-- see obvious joke. Nope. He would hang out in Stormwind. Killing any flagged Alliance just wandering around. Harrassing the locals. Stealing. Generally being a spy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Risin View Post
    Thanks for the interesting read. I really like your spin on this matter. Good job.

But the betrayer-angle doesn't really tickle my fancy. I don't want to be made a traitor simply because I might find one faction better than the other. After all, I was born into my original faction. Should I be labelled because of it?

Take Wrathion for instance. His primary objective is to save Azeroth, and he will work with whomever he feels is better at the task.

So while I think your way of initiating the quest is great, I would prefer if it took you on an emotional roller-coaster instead. You could be sent on a special mission to rescue prisoners from somewhere. In the process, you end up being taken prisoner yourself along with someone from the other faction. You might be forced into cooperation just to get out alive, and along the way you see new landscapes, meet interesting people, and experience a side of the other faction you never thought existed.

Eventually, you might deliver your new friend to its Horde / Alliance peers, having saved him / her. Perhaps you even get to meet the Warchief or King, if it was someone important. There, you're faced with a choice. Either leave in peace and return home a hero, or stay and make a new life for yourself as an honorary member of this new faction.
    Thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate the fresh perspective and input. I certainly don't expect my idea to be implemented, but it would be nice to have it spark new interest in some sort of Defection/Betrayal quest. I do like the idea of capture and escape. A bit akin to the Ramken story opening Uldum.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    If transdimensional traitor responsible for nuclear attack send you a letter in which he wants you to betray your country would you refuse ? Guy seems honest and will definately not use you.
    I'd kill him.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd kill him.
    Unless you are tired of being kicked around by the Alliance, and unappreciated for your efforts. Sometimes your worst enemy becomes your closest ally to help eliminate your new worst enemy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teebone View Post
    Totally into the spy aspect of this. during LK where would my belf rogue hang out? Org? Nah. Too spikey. Silvermoon? Are you kidding? Way out of the way? Lagaran? <-- see obvious joke. Nope. He would hang out in Stormwind. Killing any flagged Alliance just wandering around. Harrassing the locals. Stealing. Generally being a spy.
    I am too. On an RP realm, it comes in handy as a rogue pretending I work for SI:7 but secretly working for the Horde. With this, my rogue could defect to the Horde and I could actually be a Horde based spy as a gnome, and not just have to use my imagination all the time. I would pretend I was adopted by the Tauren family who found me and made my way to Undercity to become a spy for the horde.