10+ Year Old Account

Budget: 1000-1300 Help me convert my friend!

Hey guys, my buddy has an extra 1300 buck or so, and I need help building him the ultimate rig
    All we need is the case and hardware, no extra peripherals
    He just wants a beast gaming rig, he wont do any video editing or anything
    Thanks guys!

Edit: just realized I posted this in the wrong sub, could a mod move it to computer build please?
    Last edited by Sabence; 2015-02-09 at 01:17 AM.

I'm not a pro tech head but I can tell you that my i5 4670k (last gen) overclocked to 4.2Ghz with a Cooler Master aio water cooler + a single gtx 970 gets 150-270 fps on ultra everything maxed open world. Everyone says in raid environments no one gets solid steady 60fps but Since I have 60hz fixed refresh monitor I use v sync and in raids this setup is very smooth same settings. 8gb RAM is all you need. An ssd is highly desirable for load times (I don't even use an hdd but personally prefer a larger SSD 240gb and up). Here's an example of something like I would pick.
    http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Pharst%C3%85r/saved/X79XsY
    I'm sure someone more versed may edit/adjust, but for WoW, Intel cpu's are better, i5 is optimal, overclocking with water is best thing you can do for solid fps gain and a gtx 660 and up is all you would really need. I think a 960 would be perfect but the 970 has double vram which is good for other games too. 980 is way overkill price/performance wise. AMD side gpu would be R9270/270x through R9280/280x, even a 290 or 290x since there is a price way with the release of the new Nvidia Maxwells ( I prefer Nvidia for reliablity and way less TDP) With this pick you could lessen the storage on the ssd for savings or eliminate the hdd is this will solely be a gamer. Cooler Master also has windowed versions but you want to poke around to see what case appeals to you best.

With a budget like that you don't even need to build it yourself. Go to newegg.com and then go to their pre built systems. You will find an EPIC set up for within that budget including getting a monitor.

The thing about computers is that there is always something new and slightly better. Ultimately the top end PC from three years ago, will still run 99% of the stuff out now on ultra graphics. Get on that site, and then find one just start looking at the reviews of them until you find one your want. I personally wish I had gone with Nvidia, but AMD is just as good if all he wants to do is game.

Quote Originally Posted by Damerflinn View Post
    With a budget like that you don't even need to build it yourself.
    ... But if you can, you definitely shouldn't waste money on pre-builts... Because that would be silly.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Damerflinn View Post
    With a budget like that you don't even need to build it yourself. Go to newegg.com and then go to their pre built systems. You will find an EPIC set up for within that budget including getting a monitor.

The thing about computers is that there is always something new and slightly better. Ultimately the top end PC from three years ago, will still run 99% of the stuff out now on ultra graphics. Get on that site, and then find one just start looking at the reviews of them until you find one your want. I personally wish I had gone with Nvidia, but AMD is just as good if all he wants to do is game.
    This is terrible advice.
    Never buy a prebuilt if you can do it yourself.

At $1300.00 he can build a decent gaming rig.

I threw this together real quick as a idea, you can obviously get these parts from any manufacturer.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($214.89 @ OutletPC)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! PURE ROCK 87.0 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.90 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($70.98 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($101.99 @ Adorama)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.88 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card ($333.98 @ Newegg)
    Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($67.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic S12G 550W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($74.98 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $1165.56
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-11 21:55 EST-0500