Poll: Is it worth the price.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Guns View Post
    I'm sorry but that's just stupid; any PC tower can be put next to a 50 inch TV in a living room. I just don't get the appeal. You can connect a controller to ANY PC. So what the hell is the point?? You're paying extra money for a small case that more than likely has airflow issues and can get very hot?
    The appeal is plug in and play. Like a console. This is one reason why console gaming is still just as popular, if not more, that PC Gaming. There is no hassle. You buy it, you open the box, you plug it in and it works. It's simple, for people who are computer illiterate.

Also, yes, you can put any old PC next to your TV and work, but that can look ugly. A small little console like box that you can place on the shelf with your DVD player(that you wouldn't need anymore with one of these I think). It wouldn't look out of place in a home theater set-up like a fill or mid tower would.

You are also paying for the customer service. If it stops working, you make one call, just like a console. If it breaks, you know where to get it fixed at.

Another concern I see posted here is updatability. Sure, it probably is not upgradeable. Neither is a console. That's the whole point, to make a PC that functions like a console.

As I said in my previous post, it is likely not something I would ever buy for myself. I am tech savvy enough to put together my own PC and troubleshoot my own problems. If it goes above me, I know I can come here and get advice or take it to my local PC shop that treats me pretty fairly and isn't too overpriced. That's just me, and likely most of the posters here though, not your average computer users. My girlfriends sister is a perfect example. She lives with her mom who has a 3 year old cheap Dell PC. It was bought as cheap as possible to just browse the internet and check e-mail. She did not understand why it could not play Diablo 3. "It's a PC Game and I have a PC, why won't it work? If I buy a game for the Wii it works, why is my PC different?"
    Last edited by Lathais; 2015-02-11 at 06:02 PM.

The thing about lack of upgradability on console is that games are developed around the console spec so it's OK if consoles can't be upgraded, this will be a problem on PC because games are usually ports and requirements are usually higher relative to console version, this causes low-end PCs to not last long.
    Last edited by Warrax; 2015-02-14 at 01:37 PM.
    Warrax, Fury Warrior
    Silika, BM Hunter

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Warrax View Post
    It's cheap initially but since the specs are rather low-end, you will probably want to upgrade that PC really soon. 4GB of RAM is low and the PSU make it very limited for future upgrades like a video card. It might be fine now, but not for very long. It all depend on what you do with that computer.
    I expect that you would be able to upgrade the RAM. I highly doubt you would be able to upgrade the GPU tho, seeing as it is a mobile GPU. You might be able to, but only to another mobile card I guess. And those tend to be a lot more expensive than normal desktop cards.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Barracks00 View Post
    You would actually consider this box overpriced? The markup seems to be pretty low based on other posts. Yeah, their high end stuff is pretty ridiculous, but this item? Not so much. I would have no problem giving this to someone as a starter.
    I don't know what markup is on this one but i'm pretty sure with alienware it's not low.

Quote Originally Posted by Radoleg View Post
    I don't know what markup is on this one but i'm pretty sure with alienware it's not low.
    It can't be that high, just look at the components you get for the price. I mean, I did a build back on the first page with pretty much identical specs and was only $50 or so cheaper than the thing. That's with a cheap case and normal sized PSU. The ones in that thing are certainly more expensive then the ones I picked as they are much smaller.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    It can't be that high, just look at the components you get for the price. I mean, I did a build back on the first page with pretty much identical specs and was only $50 or so cheaper than the thing. That's with a cheap case and normal sized PSU. The ones in that thing are certainly more expensive then the ones I picked as they are much smaller.
    Although alienware as a big company buys in bulk and probably gets some nice deals for those random no name psu's, ram, hdd's etc. I still get your point though.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    To be honest, trying to match the CPU is a waste because it's an unnecessary low power consumption CPU. A G3258 could be overclocked to outperform it which would save you ~$50. Also, A 750ti is a lot more powerful GPU than what's in the Alpha as it's apparently a custom GPU based on the 860M so you can do some serious knocking down of price with that as well. And then yea, you have to account for the no name PSUs, RAM, and HDDs.
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |

If you'd ignore the OS / controller / games, yeah, it would be overpriced for what your getting hardware wise, but including those into the $549 price, it actually isn't an bad deal. A̶l̶t̶h̶o̶u̶g̶h̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶w̶o̶u̶l̶d̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶e̶n̶j̶o̶y̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶ ̶1̶0̶8̶0̶p̶ ̶g̶a̶m̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶.̶.̶.̶.̶

EDIT: Actually just got around to watching the video, correction, you won't be enjoying any SIXTY frames per second 1080p gaming.
    Last edited by Bareno; 2015-02-13 at 03:16 PM.

Good enough for WOW on medium, BGs/raids on LOW.

Some mobas, D3, HS etc

Quote Originally Posted by Arbiter View Post
    To be honest, trying to match the CPU is a waste because it's an unnecessary low power consumption CPU. A G3258 could be overclocked to outperform it which would save you ~$50. Also, A 750ti is a lot more powerful GPU than what's in the Alpha as it's apparently a custom GPU based on the 860M so you can do some serious knocking down of price with that as well. And then yea, you have to account for the no name PSUs, RAM, and HDDs.
    Yeah, but my point was that while yeah, there's obviously a markup, it doesn't seem to be as high as their regular PCs. It seems they are really trying to get into this market of PCs that are more like Consoles. As I said in my first post on the subject, for what it is, it's a decent price. I certainly understand you can get far more for the price, and even more for just a little extra. However, for someone who is typically a console gamer, not really into PCs, doesn't want the hassle of building themselves and wants good Customer Service/Warranty, it's not a bad deal. It's still not a great deal and certainly not something I would do, but for what it is it's pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    I expect that you would be able to upgrade the RAM. I highly doubt you would be able to upgrade the GPU tho, seeing as it is a mobile GPU. You might be able to, but only to another mobile card I guess. And those tend to be a lot more expensive than normal desktop cards.
    Oh I thought it was a custom dedicated card based on a mobile chip...well, the value just pummeled ever further lol. About the RAM, sure you can upgrade it, but you WILL upgrade it, that's my point. My system almost use 3GB while WoW is running and that's with everything else closed.
    Last edited by Warrax; 2015-02-14 at 01:46 PM.
    Warrax, Fury Warrior
    Silika, BM Hunter

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    This. X100

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor ($74.99 @ NCIX US)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-DS2 Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard ($59.99 @ Directron)
    Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($62.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.00 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 270X 2GB DirectCU II Video Card ($158.79 @ Newegg)
    Case: Fractal Design Core 1300 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($32.99 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
    Total: $507.73
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-14 21:43 EST-0500

You can easily get a legit windows key for 20$ from various online site and on Reddit.

I went with an AMD CPU (the 860K has Steamroller cores), its not great for WoW ... or you know any CPU bound games in general but for a gaming machine that will play BF4 and console port, the FPS will be mostly determined by the GPU anyway. So id rather have a stronger GPU like the 270X plus it come with 3 free games =) this add value! Ive even been able to squeeze a 212 plus in there so that CPU can easily be OCd to 4.5ghz!!
    Last edited by DarkBlade6; 2015-02-15 at 02:56 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkBlade6 View Post
    CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor ($74.99 @ NCIX US)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-DS2 Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard ($59.99 @ Directron)
    Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($62.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.00 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 270X 2GB DirectCU II Video Card ($158.79 @ Newegg)
    Case: Fractal Design Core 1300 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($32.99 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
    Total: $507.73
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-14 21:43 EST-0500

You can easily get a legit windows key for 20$ from various online site and on Reddit.

I went with an AMD CPU (the 860K has Steamroller cores), its not great for WoW ... or you know any CPU bound games in general but for a gaming machine that will play BF4 and console port, the FPS will be mostly determined by the GPU anyway. So id rather have a stronger GPU like the 270X plus it come with 3 free games =) this add value! Ive even been able to squeeze a 212 plus in there so that CPU can easily be OCd to 4.5ghz!!
    I love that build but you have to include an OS. Where do you get a Windows key for $20, cause I'd want to know. But it won't be long before you can just point people to Mint or Ubuntu and call it a day. It's getting to the point where it could become an option.

But lets be honest here the Alpha has it's place. It's cheap, and small, and comes with a Xbox 360 controller. It wasn't meant for anyone here. It was meant for a teenager who can't bare to look at a keyboard and mouse cause he's too use to gamepads, but he's heard about how awesome the PC master race is and Steam sales. Pretty much what SteamBox's were meant to do, except Alienware wanted their money sooner than later.