Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nindoriel View Post
    How do you know they do it to "hone their hunting skills" and not just because it's fun? And the "honing of the hunting skills" is just a side effect of it being fun to them. Our cats know when we see them bringing in mice, we will take them away from them. So they try to sneak them in without us seeing. If they were really meant as a gift, and maybe sometimes they are, then they would always directly kill them and bring them to us and not run off with them into some remote corner of the house and play with them.
    I didn't say it was purely for hunting skill, it is partially for fun. The main factor though is that the parents are the ones that teach the kittens how to hunt in the first place. Everything a kitten learns from its parents within the first few weeks of opening their eyes is how to survive and how to kill. All those adorable traits and behaviours they exhibit all have their basis in hunting. The times they bring them to you dead is actually alpha behaviour in which they see you as dependent on them and they are supplying you with fresh food ^^ This is all covered in basic animal behaviour course.

But like i said playing happens too but it doesn't mean it doesn't have other purposes...

Quote Originally Posted by Omgodzilla View Post
    If another species were to eventually evolve into intelligent beings capable of forming complex civilizations, I'm sure you could find plenty of things to criticize them for.
    Hmm...

He actually developed his own technique to make stone tools from being taught to make them a certain way by anthropologists. Kanzi has the understanding of language in comparability to a seven year old.

Its because people think all predators kill cleanly and painlessly like humans do. When in reality the prey can bleed out for 20+ minutes while its ass end and legs are being chewed off.

Animals don't think about anything but themselves. The only group to further their existence, while some have a vague idea of family and loyalty.

If you get mad and want to punish a wild animal for being a wild animal, you are not helping anything. You are hurting the pack by allowing it to live and make more babies that been to be protected by humans.

Don't intervene unless it is your pet or another human. This is nature, and getting involved doesn't just save the prey animal, but it hurts the predator.

You can blame any movie that portrays predators as a monster for this by the way. Like Lion King. Remember?

Lions are OK, they don't eat meat, but those ugly Hyenas, they are bad and murder the innocent plant eating animals, and somehow cause rivers to dry up and kill all the Savannah. lol

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Miyani View Post
    I didn't say it was purely for hunting skill, it is partially for fun. The main factor though is that the parents are the ones that teach the kittens how to hunt in the first place. Everything a kitten learns from its parents within the first few weeks of opening their eyes is how to survive and how to kill. All those adorable traits and behaviours they exhibit all have their basis in hunting. The times they bring them to you dead is actually alpha behaviour in which they see you as dependent on them and they are supplying you with fresh food ^^ This is all covered in basic animal behaviour course.

But like i said playing happens too but it doesn't mean it doesn't have other purposes...
    I believe most of that, though I have a hard time believing that they see me as dependent of them and think they have to bring me food. Because I feed their asses every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Mancowski View Post
    Its because people think all predators kill cleanly and painlessly like humans do. When in reality the prey can bleed out for 20+ minutes while its ass end and legs are being chewed off.

Animals don't think about anything but themselves. The only group to further their existence, while some have a vague idea of family and loyalty.

If you get mad and want to punish a wild animal for being a wild animal, you are not helping anything. You are hurting the pack by allowing it to live and make more babies that been to be protected by humans.

Don't intervene unless it is your pet or another human. This is nature, and getting involved doesn't just save the prey animal, but it hurts the predator.

You can blame any movie that portrays predators as a monster for this by the way. Like Lion King. Remember?

Lions are OK, they don't eat meat, but those ugly Hyenas, they are bad and murder the innocent plant eating animals, and somehow cause rivers to dry up and kill all the Savannah. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    Hmm...

He actually developed his own technique to make stone tools from being taught to make them a certain way by anthropologists. Kanzi has the understanding of language in comparability to a seven year old.
    I don't really see the relevance to what I said. Kanzi is a rare specimen. Bonobos as a whole are nowhere close to the point of being able to form complex civilizations.

I believe most of that, though I have a hard time believing that they see me as dependent of them and think they have to bring me food. Because I feed their asses every day.
    Cats are funny like that. We had a male short hair British blue who hunted every day and brought us at least 2 mice a day, he would come in with the still live mouse and give it to the female British blue (not related) as a present and she had zero interest in mice and would hit him round the face and walk away. He would sit their looking confused every time, then look at us, look at the mouse, look at us and let the mouse go -.-

Cats can be very hard to figure out and the minute you do they will change just to keep you guessing. Our dog was a much simpler creature and portrayed the dumb blonde stereotype very well with her fur colour. Though cats will always be my favourite even if they are genocidal maniacs.

My experience with some great apes can tell you that they aren't instinctual as other animals, but besides from that most other animals use their instinct as a guiding tool. Hell, humans do too as much as we like to deny it, everything we've built has been based off one instinctual occurrence.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHSI4_7xs_g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysa5OBhXz-Q

Hope you like the videos.
    The wolf video is incredible!

Deleted
    And then there's people who'd like to uplift all kind of animals and give them a decent shot at us by actually supporting them both with resources and land. Oh wait, one of them is already in this thread completely missing the part where even the most docile animals happily eat other animals and kill them if given the chance.

15+ Year Old Account
    People have a very Disney-esque view of nature that is far removed from reality. It's not completely on topic, but I quite like this quote from Slavoj Zizek.

"Nature itself is not natural, it's naturalized. Nature tinkers, improvises. With great losses and catastrophes accompanying every limited success. Nature is not a harmonious pattern of seasons, change, balance, reproduction. Nature is one big chaotic catastrophe which is from time to time contained in a fragile balance and then explodes again."

Deleted
    because people are fucking stupid

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    Yea yea we can add that too. How could I ever forget the mice and bird present my Loke gave me.

Mine left a rabbit in my closet for me one day.

Deleted
    you seem to be very upset about what other people think
    perhaps they are trolling you?

That's not true. My cats kill animals all the time just to play with them.
    Animals can also befriend all other animal species, i can show you pig/tiger, lion/dog, pitbull/kitty, bird/cat, cat/mouse etc etc show me a ISIS member befriending a christian.

Quote Originally Posted by Omgodzilla View Post
    When I first read the title of this video, I thought it was referring to actual Saudi Arabian people lol.
    So you saw "Saudi Arabian Baboons..." and then though it is referring to Saudi Arabian people?

aight.

- - - Updated - - -

I am enjoying the videos posted in the thread so far

Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    And then there's people who'd like to uplift all kind of animals and give them a decent shot at us by actually supporting them both with resources and land. Oh wait, one of them is already in this thread completely missing the part where even the most docile animals happily eat other animals and kill them if given the chance.
    Yes and I made that thread, but again. That's not entirely true what you said, because apes aren't generally as quick to consume any sort of flesh, even regarding chimps as they are behind humans the most carnivorous.

Yes and I made that thread, but again. That's not entirely true what you said, because apes aren't generally as quick to consume any sort of flesh, even regarding chimps as they are behind humans the most carnivorous.
    Most apes are omnivores so... if meat is dropped in front of them, even with a mostly vegetarian diet they will still eat it in most cases.
    Chimpanzees are the most common after humans to eat meat then the baboons.

Some interesting reading on diet intake of different apes - http://www.beyondveg.com/nicholson-w...erview1e.shtml

And at the very end the orangutan likes to eat bird eggs 0.0
    Last edited by Miyani; 2015-02-10 at 11:49 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's like people don't realize that animals don't go to grocery stores to get their food. It's a kill or be killed world out there, very unlike how we humans live. So to see one animal kill another and proceed to eat it is just part of nature. It's probably it's first decent meal after a week or something of not having much to eat so good for the killer. Then there are those people who hate the animals that kill people. What the fuck do you expect when you trespass in say a wolf's territory? To the wolf you are like some stranger walking around in your backyard. Since no decent person would just enter your yard and start looking around your house with no permission you would assume he's there for malicious reasons. Same with the wolf, some human enters it's territory in a kill or be killed world, the wolf is going to think you're an enemy so it's going to defend itself and it's family (if it has one). But no lets have hunters shoot them because they're harmful to people.
    Last edited by Pony Soldier; 2015-02-11 at 01:29 AM.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    So you saw "Saudi Arabian Baboons..." and then though it is referring to Saudi Arabian people?

aight.

- - - Updated - - -

I am enjoying the videos posted in the thread so far
    I thought it was some kind of racial/cultural insult or attack. Shouldn't be surprising. Saudi Arabia isn't exactly the most loved country in the world.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    Animals can also befriend all other animal species, i can show you pig/tiger, lion/dog, pitbull/kitty, bird/cat, cat/mouse etc etc show me a ISIS member befriending a christian.
    See, its hard to take you seriously when you say ALL animals. Especially since there are plenty of animals that have no way of interacting with each other. A Blue whale cannot befriend a Butterfly. All the examples you gave are mammals (except for the bird), which are only a super tiny fraction of all the animal species on Earth. There are just above 5000 species of mammals. By comparison, there are millions of species of insects.

Also, the thing about ISIS and Christians doesn't really prove much. Yeah, certain humans and human groups are unlikely to get along. There are also plenty of animal individuals or groups that are unlikely to get along. A pit bull trained to be super aggressive is much like a terrorist who was trained to be hateful and resent infidels. The pit bull is just as unlikely to befriend a kitten as the terrorist is to befriend an "infidel".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Varabently View Post
    Because people are concerned with how things feel to them, not whether they are true or how their actions will impact anything else. It's just "how does this make me feel? Bad? Then it should stop."
    I agree. Even if not your point I feel the need to add to it. I remember how one guy fed his piranhas with frogs. He would laugh at the frogs when they tried to swim away with their legs already off. Or mouses being dropped to a tank with tortoise, another laughing in background.

I had a constrictor snake in the past and know that nature needs to be fed. But one thing is caring for your animal, and the other seeing enjoyment in the brutal ways it kills other animals that have well-developed nerve endings and are dying in excrucriating pain and anxiety.