How best to upgrade an HP500B MT on a small budget?

So my company just finished a big round of system upgrades and decided to give away the previous systems to employees. I received an HP 500B Microtower (specs below) and was thinking about using some of my tax return to buy a few bells and whistles to improve its ability to play games (WOW, SW:TOR, Batman Arkham games, Minecraft, etc) and do video editing (Using Adobe Premiere Elements 10 currently). Figured I would toss this out and see what people might suggest.

MFG: Hewlett-Packard
    Model: HP 500B Microtower
    Processor: Intel Core2 Duo CPU, E7500 @2.93 GHz 2.94 GHz
    Installed Ram: 4.0 GB (3.0 GB Usable) DDR3 (This is also the maximum RAM supported)
    Operating System: Windows 7 Professional, 32 Bit
    Hard Drive: 350 GB SATA
    Power Supply: 300W

Expansion Slots:
    (1) Full-Height PCI 2.3 slot
    (2) Full-Height PCIe x1 slots
    (1) Full-Height PICe x16

Not being a hardware guy, my knowledge is a bit limited, but my first thoughts were that it needs a new power supply, a graphics card and an additional hard drive. If you disagree with this assessment, please tell me why and what you would do instead. If my thoughts are sound, then I am looking for advice on power supply, graphics card and hard drive that won't cost too much. I am probably working on a budget of $50-$100 per component, or $150-$300 overall, as I need to be able to talk my wife into allowing each purchase. (She's on board, as she games too, but we are on a budget and don't make purchases like this without being in agreement.)

** Also, the "3.0 GB Usable Ram" is due to my Windows 7 being the 32 bit version, correct? (So if I wanted to use the full 4 GB, I need to upgrade to a 64 bit OS, right?)

10+ Year Old Account
    At this point, I probably wouldn't even bother putting any money into this system. You're putting cash into a sinking ship.

I would do a couple things.

1) Overclock the E7500 to squeeze some CPU life out of it.
    2) Sell the system, use the $100 you'd probably get out of it towards a newer system

What are you currently playing on now? Why should this system be upgraded if you and your wife already have gaming systems?

Alternatively

3) Get a 750ti GPU that will eventually be put into a newer, current system.

Also, moving this to the build/upgrade subforum
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

We don't currently have a gaming PC. We've been console gaming for the past few years and our last gaming computer is quite out of date now - it won't even run WOW anymore due to updated system requirements. We are not currently playing any real PC games right now (my kids play Plants vs Zombies and Peggle), but I have a backlog of games I picked up really cheap on Steam sales and Humble Bundles. I have considered getting back into WOW and/or SW:TOR, and I'd like to be able to play the Batman: Arkham games that I own via Steam.

I don't have a lot of cash right now ($300 is pretty much the most I can spend total), so I don't think I could get a better PC right now, and it would probably be at least a year before I'll have more I can spend on one, so I was hoping to take this free PC and boost it just a little bit to better handle the stuff I want to do right now.

Thanks for the move - I didn't notice the subforum.
    Eat until you're full, sleep until you wake,
    laugh until you cry, love until you die.

Quote Originally Posted by Daltarian View Post
    We don't currently have a gaming PC. We've been console gaming for the past few years and our last gaming computer is quite out of date now - it won't even run WOW anymore due to updated system requirements. We are not currently playing any real PC games right now (my kids play Plants vs Zombies and Peggle), but I have a backlog of games I picked up really cheap on Steam sales and Humble Bundles. I have considered getting back into WOW and/or SW:TOR, and I'd like to be able to play the Batman: Arkham games that I own via Steam.

I don't have a lot of cash right now ($300 is pretty much the most I can spend total), so I don't think I could get a better PC right now, and it would probably be at least a year before I'll have more I can spend on one, so I was hoping to take this free PC and boost it just a little bit to better handle the stuff I want to do right now.

Thanks for the move - I didn't notice the subforum.
    Wouldn't recomend upgrading that computer, that cpu is far 2 old, not even with an oc will sufice (while playing mmorpgs).

You can always try to get a i3 + cheap mobo + decent gpu + better PSU + +4gb ddr3. With those $300 it's feasable.
    I recently bought a g3258, when oc it has a great performance while playing non demanding or non multicore games (excellent for mmorpgs).

Please note, a decent sized HDD needs to be part of this deal due to video editing requirements. Right now it only has a 350 GB SATA HDD, and I am really wanting a 1TB or larger which I know is going to cost me at least 25-30% of my total budget for a decent one. I haven't seen any newer CPU/mobo/GPU/RAM/PSU combos in the $200 range, so that's why I am hoping to use what I have and just get it a little better. I don't need to run Crysis on High or WOW at best specs or anything.

(For reference, my previous "gaming PC" which is now pretty much useless was running 2GB ram, a dual core sub-2 GHz processor and running Windows Vista - so I'm not exactly used to having a really powerful PC, and this one is already a bit of an upgrade for me.)
    Eat until you're full, sleep until you wake,
    laugh until you cry, love until you die.

Quote Originally Posted by Daltarian View Post
    Please note, a decent sized HDD needs to be part of this deal due to video editing requirements. Right now it only has a 350 GB SATA HDD, and I am really wanting a 1TB or larger which I know is going to cost me at least 25-30% of my total budget for a decent one. I haven't seen any newer CPU/mobo/GPU/RAM/PSU combos in the $200 range, so that's why I am hoping to use what I have and just get it a little better. I don't need to run Crysis on High or WOW at best specs or anything.

(For reference, my previous "gaming PC" which is now pretty much useless was running 2GB ram, a dual core sub-2 GHz processor and running Windows Vista - so I'm not exactly used to having a really powerful PC, and this one is already a bit of an upgrade for me.)
    My former computer was an e8400, 8gb ddr3 and an hd4830(which I still use).
    I was able to play the 1st 2 batman games with better than playable performance. WoW, not so much(raiding 25 man mythic at the time).

The only thing I changed on my build was cpu and mobo, oced the cpu to 4.0ghz and now I can stream WoW with decent quality while raiding with no loss of performance (720p).

I would advice to check prices for an i3+ low budget mobo + 1tb hdd + decent PSU. You can use the gpu from the i3 temporarily while saving for a decent gpu (gtx750 ti or r7 260x). You won't have good performances with the i3's gpu, but it's only temporary.