Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Banjo Kazooie Spiritual Successor in this month's EDGE.

Playtonic Games, a new studio formed by six veterans of Banjo-Kazooie developer Rare, has announced its debut game, “Project Ukulele,” which it says will be a “worthy spiritual successor” to the platforming adventures of Rare’s past.

In the latest issue of Edge Magazine, the studio says it has funding for the title, but would like to work with a publisher if it is mutual. The game is planned for release on Steam Early Access and consoles.

http://gematsu.com/2015/02/rare-vete...ooie-successor

What are your thoughts on this? Can the game be successful, or is it too niche?

Honestly, I never played the earlier ones but I loved Nuts & Bolts. The creative freedom and fun I had playing that with my son was just awesome. I bought multiple copies and played on 360, so if they've got similar functions, I'd be all about it.

Quote Originally Posted by VGAddict View Post
    What are your thoughts on this? Can the game be successful, or is it too niche?
    Granted, I've only played the first Banjo-Kazooie (but really wanted to play Tooie!), but I would love another Banjo game. Is it too niche? Eh, I don't think so. I know plenty of people who very much enjoyed the franchise. I don't think it'll be as ridiculously popular as a Mario game or anything, but it doesn't need to be to be ''successful''.

Niche games have their place. OP, how do you define ''successful''?

10+ Year Old Account
    Hm, this sounds pretty cool although I wonder if this is going to be just a little download game or an actual retail release on disc. I usually don't bother buying download only games as I rather spend my money on physical games because I like the feeling of actually owning a copy of a game and not just a download file that can easily be lost. BUT, it depends on how good this game turns out to be which if it's coming from the original creators of Banjo Kazooie from the Old God, Rareware then this will probably be an awesome game. Also considering the fact that they are calling this the spiritual successor to Banjo Kazooie. Please don't disappoint you guys, this is your chance to make a comeback.
    Last edited by Pony Soldier; 2015-02-10 at 11:48 PM.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

My body is ready. VERY ready.

eerrrrmaaawwgawwwrddd

I am ready. Lets hope it's not botched in the end. Banjo kazooie/tooie and donkey kong 64 were one of the best games of all time.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

oh

my

god

if this comes to WiiU I will blow the fuck up

Quote Originally Posted by BlaiseDad View Post
    Honestly, I never played the earlier ones but I loved Nuts & Bolts. The creative freedom and fun I had playing that with my son was just awesome. I bought multiple copies and played on 360, so if they've got similar functions, I'd be all about it.
    Nuts & bolts, compared to the two originals was terrible.

It was also completly different, so expect a 'spiritual successor' to be nothing like it and more like the original adventure games. Thats where the true Banjo Kazzooi are.

Yea Nuts and bolts was 100% different game with the banjo kazooie skins slapped on it. Really they are nothing alike.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Yea Nuts and bolts was 100% different game with the banjo kazooie skins slapped on it. Really they are nothing alike.
    A comparable well known game would be Super Mario 64, but imagine more collecting than just stars.

I would be extremely happy, although I still want an actual Banjo Kazooie game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Banjo Kazooie is still one of my favorite games of all time, and I loved it just as much as an adult when they released it on the XBLA. I know that I would buy it day 1 and love it. There seems to be a lot of change going on in the game industry right now, people are buying fewer FPS games, horror made a dramatic come back, and a card game was one of the biggest games of the year. So, I think there is definitely a chance if the game is good that it could sell well as people seem to be interested in new things.

10+ Year Old Account
    My everything is ready. I haven't seen a decent 3d platformer/collector since Banjo-Kazooie/Tooie.

Mario 3d land was a weird one, so it don't count in my opinion.
    By Blizzard Entertainment:
    Part of the reason is that Battlegrounds are like ducks.
    My Nintendo FC is 2208-5726-4303.

10+ Year Old Account
    I ummm need to go find my Xbox 360 and play Tooie, Tooie on the Xbox 360 Arcade was better than the 64 version since there aren't framerate drops and it's still the exact same game.

Banjo Kazooie on the other hand, it's way easier on the 360 version since you don't lose notes if you die or whatever it is. I personally think to get the best experience you should play that one on the 64.

With that all said, I'm pretty happy to see that there will be a spiritual successor but I want a full game with an awesome overworld, the rest can be up to them but make it huge and have a lot of collectibles etc.
    Hey everyone

Yes please.

Fuck Micro$oft and what they did to Rare.

I want to see this back, hell, just bring back Grant's soundtrack and I'll buy it.

Apparently a lot of people in the newspost have been lightening the screen and they're pretty much in agreement the protagonists are a red bird and a breed of jungle cat, most likely a tiger.

I spend quite some time on the N64 game, always wanted to play banjo tooie but never gotten to it in the end.
    The first game was pretty fricking epic if you ask me.

Banjo Tooie is monsterous in size compared to Banjo Kazooie. I played it recently and it really holds up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Auxis View Post
    My everything is ready. I haven't seen a decent 3d platformer/collector since Banjo-Kazooie/Tooie.

Mario 3d land was a weird one, so it don't count in my opinion.
    i actually loved mario sunshine to no end, I loved how tight the movement felt and the setting of it, but the world design falls flat and some shines are just too annoying to get.
    Mario galaxy is quite good!
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

Banjo Tooie is monsterous in size compared to Banjo Kazooie. I played it recently and it really holds up.
    Tooie is too much of a good thing, imo. Its a fantastic game still, but I really do like Kazooie better. The levels take WAY too long in Tooie.

The reason why people seemed to love or hate Click Clock Wood was because it took a long time to get a lot the jiggies, but the comparison was that other levels were relatively quick.

Even on the very first level of Tooie, it takes a long time to start clearing the level. I don't mind long levels occasionally, but it just gets worse and worse by the time you get to the end of the game. For example, Grunty Industries is way more than an hour+ level. And after a while you just tire of being there so long.

But the game is still great, its just might be a bit too much of itself.

Mario galaxy is quite good!
    Honestly feel like Galaxy is the best Mario platforming they've ever done in the Mario series. Galaxy 2 is good too, but I also feel like it suffers from too much of itself, like Tooie does.
    Last edited by KrazyK923; 2015-02-13 at 05:08 AM.