The Daily Show Breaking News!

Jon Stewart will be stepping down. NOOOOOOO!

He's an icon, a hero, and an honest human being. Who will mock the moronic American mass of idiots if not Stewart?

10+ Year Old Account
    It's OK, we'll have about a bazillion year's worth of reruns to watch.

Yeah, I saw that. I wonder what prompted it? I'd love to see a presidential bid (in all seriousness) but I doubt he'd run. Won't be the same this next election cycle without him and Colbert, that's for sure. =(

Quote Originally Posted by Sibut View Post
    Yeah, I saw that. I wonder what prompted it? I'd love to see a presidential bid (in all seriousness) but I doubt he'd run. Won't be the same this next election cycle without him and Colbert, that's for sure. =(
    He talked about it briefly on Jerry Seinfeld's web show.

Quote Originally Posted by Sibut View Post
    I'd love to see him run, he'd have my vote. The man is brilliant. I was convinced of his astuteness after he demolished Papa Bear Bill O'Reilly in that debate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Northy View Post
    I'd love to see him run, he'd have my vote.
    i doubt he'd seriously try to run for president in 2016. The man is a comedian and director (Rosewater?), he wants to try different things; but running for president? really? dont see it happening lol
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Hedleyazg View Post
    He talked about it briefly on Jerry Seinfeld's web show.
    Oh? What'd he say?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Northy View Post
    I'd love to see him run, he'd have my vote. The man is brilliant. I was convinced of his astuteness after he demolished Papa Bear Bill O'Reilly in that debate.
    Yeah, I'd vote for him too. I'm not sure how well that transition would go. I have no doubt that he has the skillset, but I can't see him going on tour to foreign nations and meeting with leaders without just busting on them. =)

EDIT: Also, I wonder how O'Reilly would handle Stewart's candidacy if he made a serious bid for president. Think he'd toe the Fox News line, or maybe even endorse him a little?

Oh my god, I didn't even think of the political aspect. What if Hillary poked him in the back and was like, "Hey....do you want to be the first Jewish Vice President?"

/mindblown

Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    i doubt he'd seriously try to run for president in 2016. The man is a comedian and director (Rosewater?), he wants to try different things; but running for president? really? dont see it happening lol
    Regan was an actor before running for President. I don't see what the problem is. It's not like he's not politically savvy. He knows what he's talking about.

I'm wondering who's going to replace him. I'd like to see Jason Jones, of the current cast members, replace him. Jon Oliver did a great job but it's unlikely he'll give up his HBO gig to come back for it.

Even more recent than Reagan, and more related to Stewart, Al Franken went from an SNL/stand-up comedian guy, to being one of 100 Senators.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Even more recent than Reagan, and more related to Stewart, Al Franken went from an SNL/stand-up comedian guy, to being one of 100 Senators.
    Ah yes, good point.

Oh my god, I didn't even think of the political aspect. What if Hillary poked him in the back and was like, "Hey....do you want to be the first Jewish Vice President?"

/mindblown
    Hillary is way too conservative for him, and most true Progressives. I want to see a Warren/Stewart ticket.

Stewart has claimed he is a moderate himself. In American politics you have this weird split personality among progressives: you might have very progressive ideas, but politically you tend to be more moderate. Hillary is a prime example of this, after all, she tried to push for Universal Health Care in 1994, when she was First Lady, but when she actually entered politics she voted more moderately. Personally, as a progressive myself, I feel it has to do with a distaste on the American Left for extremism in general.

Anyways, when I thought about it for a second, it doesn't make much sense as a ticket geo-politically. Stewart was raised in NJ, is associated with NYC, and Hillary was a Senator from NY. The consensus is that you usually bring in a candidate for VP who is diverse from you to unify the base. The Clintons have widespread support in many other places, but I think Hillary is more associated with NY than Arkansas these days. Stewart would help bring in young idealistic voters, but most of them would go with Hillary anyways (if she's the Democratic nominee).

Maybe Stewart will just make movies. Wasn't Rosewater supposedly good? I never saw it.

Maybe Stewart will just make movies. Wasn't Rosewater supposedly good? I never saw it.
    Heh, I didn't either and heard the same thing. Maybe that's why it bombed.

I'd love to see Stewart in a debate setting, be it for president or vp. Can you imagine him debating Sarah Palin? I mean seriously, imagine with me the carnage for a second. She got her ass handed to her in '08 by Joe Biden in the vp debates. Joe. Biden.

I'm seriously sitting here cackling right now imagining that debate. It'd be like the best ~2 hours of tv of my lifetime.

Hmph. Never heard of him.

"For people under 30, Jon Stewart leaving the Daily Show is the equivalent of the Beatles breaking up."

At least someone had the competence to tell us 30 and younger people about the Beetles in the first place... which I guess means that Stewart wasn't really important at all in the long run of history?

Deleted
    He needs to not go. Or - Put Steve Carell in his place!

Quote Originally Posted by Papasmurfo View Post
    He needs to not go. Or - Put Steve Carell in his place!
    He's really just an actor now, I don't think he has an eye on policy or politics.

Never cared for him, I quit watching the show after he took over

Because Craig Kilborn was such a riveting host. His first show after 9/11 was probably the most honest, genuine moment in late night television in the past 2 decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    Hmph. Never heard of him.

At least someone had the competence to tell us 30 and younger people about the Beetles in the first place... which I guess means that Stewart wasn't really important at all in the long run of history?
    In the long run of history none of us are.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."