Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shink View Post
    You do know...by the time they actually can...Reasonably... do that, they won't be classified as children anymore :x
    and the winner of this thread, Shink.

Deleted
    Wait they're not?

Oh shit.

I've made a huge mistake on crafting Nike gear.

Deleted
    lies!
    i'm renovating my 5 year old into a monstrosity

I don't understand the point of this post. The only thing I got out of it is children aren't property and don't refer to them as "it."
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrion Lannister View Post
    Congrats Blizz. Everyone who wanted a Vanilla realm will get it with WoD. So much for never moving backward. Though, it will not be a pure vanilla server since you can still fly in the old content, and you don't have to farm things just to raid. Just wanted to congratulate Blizz for giving the folks what they wanted, a classic vanilla world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrion Lannister View Post
    Or, maybe instead of making a strawman, they could just get a lvl 1 pony after they complete a quest in the starting zone

Quote Originally Posted by Rabblexthree View Post
    I don't understand the point of this post. The only thing I got out of it is children aren't property and don't refer to them as "it."
    Just another round about way of a bunch of childless morons to tell people with kids that they are wrong in how they raise them. According to their logic, if your 7 year old wants to join ISIS they should be fully allowed. We can't be controlling our children after all!

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Kids don't belong to their parents anyway, they belong to the community...

Thats rather funny tbh, its going full circle.
    This is how children were regarded for most of human time, as the communities, taken care by everyone.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd like to be contrarian, but I just woke up and it would just be trolling.
    No, children are not property. To think otherwise is delusional.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

Seeing how there is a risk vs return (time and financial investment), i would say they are very much property.

It usually takes 10-15 years to realize if your investment has any potential. Sometimes it may take well past 40 years before the time and money invested end up doing something worth while for you.

You want to make sure that when you retire, your investment will be able to take care of you.

Too bad laws and regulations dont defend the rights of the investors. The moment an investment turns sour, you are unable to get rid off it. After all, how many parents want their kids to turn out to be pot head smoking hippies or criminals. Yet, parents are forced to continue providing.

And even if you are a good investor, there is no guarantee that the investment will provide a proper or even decent return.

It sucks.

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    OP You're just jealous because you don't own any and have to do the washing up yourself!

10+ Year Old Account
    I can agree that children are not property but they are under the command of their parents and for pretty much their whole life, no matter how old they are.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Davillage View Post
    Do you have a farm?
    Farm kids can get their license at an early age. I think that's bullshit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Geminiwolf View Post
    I can agree that children are not property but they are under the command of their parents and for pretty much their whole life, no matter how old they are.
    Which is why Kony is a pimp, all of those kids are HIS KIDS and are under his command.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    Farm kids can get their license at an early age. I think that's bullshit.
    Derp.
    It's called a farmer's permit. It's not a real license.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Kids don't belong to their parents anyway, they belong to the community...

You're getting this way off. The idea is that the community should also participate in growing the child into a healthy individual; not that they own the child. It is a shame how people (like you) contort facts to their beliefs.

Quote Originally Posted by Helgrimm View Post
    You're getting this way off. The idea is that the community should also participate in growing the child into a healthy individual; not that they own the child. It is a shame how people (like you) contort facts to their beliefs.
    But thats exactly what she said! (though the participation part makes sense).

Of course, what shes advocating is not community participation in children, but extortion of people in order to raise kids. A community is not 300 million people who have never met each other for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by Dendrek View Post
    Kids are definitely property. I'm attempting to sell one of mine on Ebay right now.

On a serious note: They really are property.

Would you consider a pet to be property? The answer is simply yes. However, there are legal and moral codes that define the proper ways to treat and care for a pet, and violation of those codes could have serious consequences. The fact that there are laws protecting them doesn't suddenly make them not property.

Children have a much broader as well as more specific codes that govern how they must be treated and cared for. But besides those protections, they are treated exactly like property in almost every other sense of the word. You can transfer custody. You can use them for menial labor, with certain restrictions. You can expose them to whatever environment, beliefs, and lifestyle that you deem appropriate so long as that environment is not legally prohibited. You are also liable for anything the child does, such as any damages they cause. And, for the most part, kids don't have any "rights" beyond the rights to be safe and healthy. They don't have the right to ownership, to self expression (unless the prohibition of that expression constitutes abuse), to suffrage, to autonomy or to freedom (unless the denial of freedom constitutes abuse). Abuse is the key thing there, and really the only thing: they have the right not to be abused. But the definition of abuse is a broad one.

There are laws governing ownership of cars as well. Laws regarding use, maintenance, liability, etc. Cars are still property, even though their use is regulated. The obvious and only real differences between a car and a child are: 1) there are many many more regulations regarding children than cars, and 2) children are self-aware and living beings, which implies moral responsibility and emotional involvement.

[Edit] With that said, children should not be thought of as property, just as pets should not be thought of as property. Doing so causes emotional detachment, which is really unhealthy and immoral. So to be clear: as far as legal responsibility is concerned, children are property. But morally, they are not and shouldn't be treated as such.
    You're not exactly lying and I find it as something sad, this isn't about how parents raise their kids, but kids shouldn't be property, they are not animals and many of these people on this thread fail to realize this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    Indeed, I think the way some people act, it's like children are slaves. Custody does not equal ownership after all, but children should listen to the parents if the parent only does what's best for the child. I believe if you force a child to get pregnant (people actually do that), then that child SHOULD have the right to say 'no', because it's not their body, it's the child's.
    Doing your laundry is not slavery tho, as many crazy people who often say that kids are slaves would consider.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DEATHETERNAL View Post
    Feel free to try to revoke my “privilege” of my own children. Doing so had better me more important to you than your life.
    It's very weird that people think that ability to reproduce is a privilege granted and regulated by government, really really weird.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    Doing your laundry is not slavery tho, as many crazy people who often say that kids are slaves would consider.

- - - Updated - - -

It's very weird that people think that ability to reproduce is a privilege granted and regulated by government, really really weird.
    No, but beating your child until they have open wounds and not providing a safe environment is. You're not getting what I'm saying, I'm saying abuse and neglect is wrong and your children are not furbies you buy at BestBuy and put in a closet when you get tired of it. A child is a human and a responsibility on behalf of both the parents and the child (at some point children have to start taking care of themselves a little more). Having children shouldn't be granted and regulated by the government, I'm saying having a child is a privilege in a moral sense. If you abuse the privilege of having a child, then either someone (the government or maybe some guy off the street or the government) will step in or they will grow to resent you.