Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    My tried and tested way for losing weight is to gain a ton of weight in a really short period of time then run a few miles in a week and burn it all off quickly before your body gets used to keeping it.

Have lost upwards of a few thousand pounds using this method.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Primary things to remember when trying to lose weight:

- Calories. Any diet that says to ignore calories doesn't know what they are talking about. The math of caloric intake vs calories burned will always determine weight loss / gain / steady state. It doesn't matter if you track the actual calories or use points like Weight Watchers (1 point is approximately 100 calories).
    - Weight. Weigh yourself every day, but average the weight over the week and compare week to week. Try to measure at the same time every day. Your water weight does vary.
    - Accuracy. If you aren't using a meal service, you need to accurately track everything you eat to see how much you are eating. One doctor had a patient put every little snack she would eat during the day into a bag for a week. She found out that she was eating nearly 1,000 calories every day for food she didn't count (and was wondering why she wasn't losing weight)
    - Hunger. The successful diet is one that staves off hunger. Low carb, high carb, glycemic...doesn't matter as long as it is a diet you can stick too that you don't end up hungry and desperate and end up cheating.
    - Consistency. Figure out whatever diet works best and just stick to it. Same with exercise. Don't accept that you can cheat this one day a week...this leads to 2 days a week, etc and then you aren't actually using any approach anymore.
    - Slow Drawdown. Figure out your average caloric intake in a day and cut it by 10% or so for a few weeks, then cut it by another 10% for a few more weeks, etc. This should help prevent cravings from taking over.
    - Healthy. Try to eat healthy (it typically helps), but don't assume healthier food will be low calorie food. Stick to your diet regardless of the content of that diet.

Calorie counting with macro control (fat, salt, sugar, etc). Sign up to MyFitnessPal and punch in all your details and it'll tell you what you should be eating daily, follow it and you'll lose weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampiroth View Post
    I'm avoiding fruits purely because of the sugars in it. Like I said though, thats not always the case. If you are going from eating candy bars to eating fruit on a day to day basis you are going to see a MASSIVE increase in the quality of your health and you will lose weight if you combine that with exercise. If you are a physically fit person and you are trying to lose weight though, you might want to avoid the sugars in some fruits.
    This is moronic and shows you have no knowledge of nutrition.

- - - Updated - - -

You don't know what you are talking about. The goal in losing weight should not be purely to get to a point where you look a certain way physically. Losing weight should be about getting healthy. Also, I challenge you to eat burgers and cut weight. If you are able to eat burgers and lose weight, the OP wouldn't have needed to make this thread.
    Why would you not be able to eat a burger while cutting weight? Also, please provide peer reviewed evidence on why a burger is not "healthy."

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ZwuckeL View Post
    Best way to lose weight is to eat as little as possible. Not more than 1 meal at 100-200gramms every day for several months. And run every 2nd to third day for 30-60 minutes. The most important part is eating as little as possible tho. You can easily lose 10 kg every month just from eating very little.

- - - Updated - - -

complete bullshit sorry. I lost 30 kg playing video games all day. It's just the eating part I described in my post (and a little bit of running, but that's optional)
    This is absolutely horrible advice and shows you have zero knowledge of nutrition.

10+ Year Old Account
    I lost 5 kg (11 pounds) in about 6 weeks just by running. I ran 5 km (~3 miles) every day. Did not change my eating habbits one bit, my intake of junkfood, soda and beer was exactly the same. Sadly, it turns out that running every day was abit too much for my body and I injured my ankle which has unfortunately prevented me from running for almost two months now. I go to the local fitness center now, but I still can't wait to start running again, I love it.

They say you burn about your weight in calories per 1 km (1.6 mile) you run. So if you're 70 kg and run 5 km, that's 350 calories.
    Last edited by CptEgo; 2015-04-27 at 07:30 PM.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Figured I'd start going on a "diet", only been 2 days but enjoying it at the moment. Bowl of bran flakes with milk for breakfast, 2 Scrambled eggs on wholemeal bread with whatever veggies I desire for dinner, and a banana and apple as a snack is what I'm eating on a daily basis. Plenty of water also, not doing any exercise yet so not sure how much of an effect it will have.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mrhUK View Post
    Calorie counting with macro control (fat, salt, sugar, etc). Sign up to MyFitnessPal and punch in all your details and it'll tell you what you should be eating daily, follow it and you'll lose weight.
    Since you're already counting "Sugar" through carbs, don't bother. And salts nothing wrong. It will lead to you being thirsty. Drink water.
    But yes, count calories, and even if you don't count macros, no biggie. Just make sure you get a bit off everything.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zelion View Post
    Why would you not be able to eat a burger while cutting weight? Also, please provide peer reviewed evidence on why a burger is not "healthy."
    Don't bother. Just enjoy the Pizza, burgers and fries with moderation man. You wont gain a single pound/kg of fat as long as you keep yourself under what you burn, or at the level you burn.

If you eat healthy 6 days of the week you can eat like shit 1 day of the week.
    A common caloric deficit for weight loss is -500. Which puts you on a 3000 weekly deficit. If you "eat like shit" one day a week you can easily overshoot your calorie intake that day by 3000, especially if it's the alcohol day. This can nullify all your work, or even put you in the positive. I seriously do not recommend eating days, unless it's a monthly occurrence or rarer.

Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    Primary things to remember when trying to lose weight:

- Calories. Any diet that says to ignore calories doesn't know what they are talking about. The math of caloric intake vs calories burned will always determine weight loss / gain / steady state. It doesn't matter if you track the actual calories or use points like Weight Watchers (1 point is approximately 100 calories).
    - Weight. Weigh yourself every day, but average the weight over the week and compare week to week. Try to measure at the same time every day. Your water weight does vary.
    - Accuracy. If you aren't using a meal service, you need to accurately track everything you eat to see how much you are eating. One doctor had a patient put every little snack she would eat during the day into a bag for a week. She found out that she was eating nearly 1,000 calories every day for food she didn't count (and was wondering why she wasn't losing weight)
    - Hunger. The successful diet is one that staves off hunger. Low carb, high carb, glycemic...doesn't matter as long as it is a diet you can stick too that you don't end up hungry and desperate and end up cheating.
    - Consistency. Figure out whatever diet works best and just stick to it. Same with exercise. Don't accept that you can cheat this one day a week...this leads to 2 days a week, etc and then you aren't actually using any approach anymore.
    - Slow Drawdown. Figure out your average caloric intake in a day and cut it by 10% or so for a few weeks, then cut it by another 10% for a few more weeks, etc. This should help prevent cravings from taking over.
    - Healthy. Try to eat healthy (it typically helps), but don't assume healthier food will be low calorie food. Stick to your diet regardless of the content of that diet.
    Best post I have seen in this section. Bravo sir. I second everything said here.

Fat loss is simple and easy. For most people the problem is returning to their previous diet after their fad diet and gaining everything and more back. You must make changes to your diet that you can maintain for a lifetime to be successful.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bender View Post
    A common caloric deficit for weight loss is -500. Which puts you on a 3000 weekly deficit. If you "eat like shit" one day a week you can easily overshoot your calorie intake that day by 3000, especially if it's the alcohol day. This can nullify all your work, or even put you in the positive. I seriously do not recommend eating days, unless it's a monthly occurrence or rarer.
    I see where you are coming from, but I find that I go crazy if I don't have junk in moderation. Everything in moderation including moderation etc, etc. I'm down 48 pounds now so something must be working, but you better believe I have the occasional pizza and beer
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I do not have enough hands to apply enough palms to my face.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrgannus View Post
    I see where you are coming from, but I find that I go crazy if I don't have junk in moderation. Everything in moderation including moderation etc, etc. I'm down 48 pounds now so something must be working, but you better believe I have the occasional pizza and beer
    Exactly. Eventually some people work "cheat days" out of their diet, or make them less regular.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mikegary View Post
    Studies show that the simpler your diet, the easier it is to stick to over the long haul. Follow these steps to streamline your plan and shed unwanted pounds for good.

The key to successfully losing weight and keeping it off is long-term healthy lifestyle changes. Set yourself realistic goals, such as waking up earlier then normal every morning and going for 30 minute walk 3 days a week. Don't try and lose 10 pounds in 1 week by going on some crazy diet.

Not only is it unhealthy but chances are you're going to put the weight straight back on or give up entirely. Furthermore, every time you accomplish a goal, you feel great about yourself and feel even more motivated to continue.

Losing weight is a marathon not a sprint. Also remember failure isn't bad in weight loss, but giving up all together is.
    I'm a very tall guy who was a fat ass 270lbs at 15, got down to 165lbs at 17. The biggest change I made was just to skip dinner and lunch. Fasting is the only way I've ever continiously lost weight and been comfortable. Now I have a lot of knowledge about nutrition and exercise also.

I'm currently 200lbs, 10% body fat, and I still fast 4-5 days a week during work days and break my fast at 8-9pm. I also go gym 6 days a week, for 40 minutes during my lunch break at work and a follow push/pull/legs routine. Low volume, high intensity, short rest, and some bike hiit cardio. You only need 1 set till failure to benefit, I normally do 2-3 pyramid sets (1 warm up, 1 max effort, 1 drop set) and it see's me well. It's not "true" max effort as I don't have time during the week to rest for 5 minutes between sets, but I'd still a good push to 90% effort with reduced rest.

165cm, 63K. It is over weight? I used to try to go walking after dinner and kept this for about 1 month, but it seems no difference. Does your way really work?

Deleted
    Do Big 7 workout routines. (partially stolen from Rippetoe).
    Squats 3x10
    Flat bench 3x10
    Deadlift 3x10
    Chin Ups 3x10
    Tricep Dips 3x10
    Seated rows 3x10
    Militairy press 3x10
    Hanging legraises for abs.

Maximum gains and more important: Golden ratios.
    Low carb on offdays, higher but not exceeding 2g per KG bodymass on training days.

You will see the difference in 3 weeks.
    Last edited by mmoc9478eb6901; 2015-06-10 at 06:29 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Taken straight from reddit.com/r/loseit FAQ (This sub forum combined with r/progresspics shows that this works)

Basic Principles

Simply put, we lose weight if we consume less energy than we use. Energy comes from the food and drink that we eat and is measured in calories (Cals, cals or kcals). Energy is burnt constantly by our bodies, the amount of energy burnt doing a particular activity varies by its intensity.

Assuming that your weight is currently stable, your energy-in and energy-out are equal. To lose weight, this equation needs to be unbalanced, so energy-out is greater than energy-in. Naturally, we can achieve this in two ways. We can burn more energy, by doing exercise, or we can consume less energy, by eating fewer calories (note, this need not mean less food by weight or volume).

For most people losing weight is roughly a 80:20 diet:exercise split, simply because it's a lot easier to deny yourself a ~300kcal slice of cake than walking 2-3 miles to burn it off. You can lose weight without any exercise whatsoever if you wish, but exercise in itself is very good for you either way.
    Be Realistic

Besides the very basics, you have to be realistic and accept that, if you want to lose weight, you're going to have to change a few things. Possibly the most important realization is that you need to make a lifestyle change. The majority of people need to change their diet, as opposed to go on a diet; reverting to old habits will see you reverting to old body-weights, too.

Diet

Diet, as we said above, is the most important part of losing weight for the vast majority of people. There are two basic approaches that one can take when starting out; either to ease into it by, for instance, cutting out soda, or to change completely overnight. There have been no rigorous scientific studies to suggest that one is more effective than the other, so go with what works for you. Essentially, you need to choose one of the plans below, and decide how long you're going to take to move over to it completely (if you choose keto, it's all-or-nothing, so ignore that advice!).

There are several billionty diets available for people to chose, so we're going to cover the most popular here on r/loseit. If your diet of choice isn't listed, that doesn't mean it won't necessarily work, just that we haven't seen lots of people on this subreddit on it.

Examine.com has an expansive FAQ section that covers a swath of topics centered around nutrition.
    Counting Calories

Calorie counting is undoubtedly the most popular method of weight-loss on r/loseit. This is because many other diets include calorie counting, so it's a term that's not specific in itself. The basic idea is that you work out how much energy you burn on a daily basis, and then eat less than that; what your body doesn't get from food it will take from your fat reserves. Many people on r/loseit use the free services loseit.com and myfitnesspal to track calorie intake and progress; otherwise WolframAlpha allows you to add foods together to get nutrition information easily.

Not everyone tracks calories religiously, but if things aren't going well for you it's probably a good idea to try.

Alcohol contains calories, quite a few of them in fact. Get Drunk Not Fat lists drinks that will allow you to enjoy a healthy glow without piling on the pounds. For an in-depth discussion of alcohol and fat-loss, Martin Berkhan has a very interesting article.
    Calculating Your Caloric Needs

(To make this easy, just use this calorie calculator - http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm, if you want the long version, keep reading.)

To calculate how much energy your body needs on a daily basis, you must first calculate your Basal Metabolic Rate ( BMR). This will tell you how many calories your body burns at rest, the moment you get out of bed you're burning calories at a higher rate than your BMR.

BMR Calculator

Metric BMR Calculator

(Again, your BMR is the level of calories you would consume if you were in a coma. This is NOT your maintenance calorie level, which you can calculate using the equations below.)

Once you've calculated your BMR you need to multiply it by the appropriate number given by the Harris-Benedict Equation. This coverts your BMR to the number of calories you burn in a day. The numbers for different exercise levels are as follows--

Little or no exercise - Calorie-calculation = BMR x 1.2

Light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week - Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375

Moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week - Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55

Hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week - Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725

Very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training - Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

Calorie burn as calculated by exercise machines is notoriously wide of the mark, and tends to be an overestimate. Be very cautious of taking the numbers at face value when calculating how much you're then allowed to eat-- multiplying by 3/4 or even 2/3 is more likely to keep you within your daily goals. Further, don't account for exercise calories twice by using a high multiplier of your BMR and then adding on that given by exercise machines.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    God I hate these suggestions. As if vitamins, blood sugars, hormones and all that don't matter.

Yeah sure...eat a chocolate every day (500 calories) and thaw a deep frozen Pizza (700 calories) and with 1200 calories your weight will just fly off.

But does that fill you the same way? Does that keep you healthy? Will this food that is pure fat and carbs help you lose weight as fast as vegetables, eggs, cutting sugar and "slow" carbs like they are in lentils? In fact it won't.
    If you purely want to lose weight (at the same rate) then it doesn't really matter what you eat as long as you consume the same amount of calories. It really is that simple and does not need to be advanced or complicated.

Yes, eating lean meat and veggies will help you retain better bodily functions (healthy) while you're shedding but you can lose the same amount of weight eating 3 chocolates (1500 calories) or a combination of chicken, veggies etc (1500 calories).

I've been following a subreddit (Loseit) and have been active in real life in the forum and am hearing these stories (with pics etc) daily.
    Secondly, the above mentioned has worked for me in the same exact way.

Deleted
    If you purely want to lose weight (at the same rate) then it doesn't really matter what you eat as long as you consume the same amount of calories. It really is that simple and does not need to be advanced or complicated.

Yes, eating lean meat and veggies will help you retain better bodily functions (healthy) while you're shedding but you can lose the same amount of weight eating 3 chocolates (1500 calories) or a combination of chicken, veggies etc (1500 calories).
    Not a big fan of IFYMI mainly due to amino s. This guy wants to pack on, not to be skinnyfat.

Eat lean meats like chicken beef and horse.
    Eat UNSALTED nuts. Almonds, cashews, but watch the calories.
    Eat veggies and fruits
    Eat eggs, cottage cheese and other sources of proteins.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kezotar View Post
    Since you're already counting "Sugar" through carbs, don't bother. And salts nothing wrong. It will lead to you being thirsty. Drink water. But yes, count calories, and even if you don't count macros, no biggie. Just make sure you get a bit off everything.
    It leads to your body retaining water making u heavier, lowering the ammount of waste disposal trough urine and making u look "fatter".
    Its allmost like you solely post on the sports forums to make people just as clueless as you. Do you even want people to lose weight and progress? Your lack of knowledge and extreme stubborness despite being wrong on pretty much everything ive seen u respond too really comes off as (forbidden word).

Deleted

Education video. Expect to see this kind of nutritional information as the norm in a decade or so. Sweden already flipped their dietary guidelines around to promote similar eating. It's the easiest, tastiest and must filling way to lose weight. It cleans up blood lipids, cures T2 Diabetes, combats CVD and most importantly helps people lose weight rapidly.

This is true biochemistry. The idea of calorie in calorie out has been debated heavily over the past couple of years and has been proven time and time again to either A. not be as simple as that or B. totally false. It depends on how you want to look at it.

These is also a keto thread going on this forum. Check it out OR check out r/keto.

Peace
    Last edited by mmocd42035da1b; 2015-06-10 at 11:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiift View Post
    Not a big fan of IFYMI mainly due to amino s. This guy wants to pack on, not to be skinnyfat.

Eat lean meats like chicken beef and horse.
    Eat UNSALTED nuts. Almonds, cashews, but watch the calories.
    Eat veggies and fruits
    Eat eggs, cottage cheese and other sources of proteins.

- - - Updated - - -

It leads to your body retaining water making u heavier, lowering the ammount of waste disposal trough urine and making u look "fatter".
    Its allmost like you solely post on the sports forums to make people just as clueless as you. Do you even want people to lose weight and progress? Your lack of knowledge and extreme stubborness despite being wrong on pretty much everything ive seen u respond too really comes off as (forbidden word).
    youre not a big fan of IIFYM because of amino acids? w0t?

The only way sodium makes you hold extra water is when your intake is all over the place. When you have a constant intake level, no matter how high or low, your water retention will remain the same. There is this hormone called aldosterone that is responsible for the reabsorbtion of sodium filtered through the kidneys. It's levels move around based on your sodium intake and you either excrete more or less sodium through urine based on it.

http://hyper.ahajournals.org/content/15/4/376.full.pdf

Also physically active people need WAY more sodium than sedentary people because you lose a ton through sweat. ELECTROLYTES

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vexxie View Post

Education video. Expect to see this kind of nutritional information as the norm in a decade or so. Sweden already flipped their dietary guidelines around to promote similar eating. It's the easiest, tastiest and must filling way to lose weight. It cleans up blood lipids, cures T2 Diabetes, combats CVD and most importantly helps people lose weight rapidly.

This is true biochemistry. The idea of calorie in calorie out has been debated heavily over the past couple of years and has been proven time and time again to either A. not be as simple as that or B. totally false. It depends on how you want to look at it.

These is also a keto thread going on this forum. Check it out OR check out r/keto.

Peace
    There is absolutely zero evidence that keto is superior to any other dietary guidelines in the healthy population, especially in fat loss.

Makronutrient, Mikronutrient, ketons, this guy can spell!
    Last edited by Zelion; 2015-06-11 at 06:24 PM.

Deleted
    The guy wants to pack on. Optimal way would be mixing all sorts of proteine sources to gain a wide variety to amino's to help build muscle and recover faster. IIFYM as a "weight loss" diet (despite going over calories real fast when not counting) is "fine". To pack on lean muscle its just bad.
    If u want to spike calories to convert it into muscle, go ahead and use IIFYM. If you want to gain lean muscle gradually, without periods of bulking and cutting, go with a balanced diet with a wide variety of proteine=wide variety of amino strings.

Thats al.
    Last edited by mmoc9478eb6901; 2015-06-21 at 10:07 PM.

Deleted

The only way sodium makes you hold extra water is when your intake is all over the place. When you have a constant intake level, no matter how high or low, your water retention will remain the same. There is this hormone called aldosterone that is responsible for the reabsorbtion of sodium filtered through the kidneys. It's levels move around based on your sodium intake and you either excrete more or less sodium through urine based on it.

http://hyper.ahajournals.org/content/15/4/376.full.pdf

Also physically active people need WAY more sodium than sedentary people because you lose a ton through sweat. ELECTROLYTES

- - - Updated - - -

There is absolutely zero evidence that keto is superior to any other dietary guidelines in the healthy population, especially in fat loss.

Makronutrient, Mikronutrient, ketons, this guy can spell!
    Standard logical fallacy presented by clever clogs here. Attack the messenger and not his points. Sad that people can't understand the difference between truth and separate it from their own opinion.