Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account

FPS Issues on my new laptop

Hi all, I'm just curious about why I'm having issues with my framerate on this laptop:

Model - Asus X552L
    GPU - GeForce 820M
    CPU - Intel Core i5-4210U CPU@1.70ghz
    Memory - 8 GB RAM
    OS - Microsoft Windows 8.1

The framerate constantly jumps anywhere from 25 to 60. Also, the main problem is that every few seconds when I'm moving around outdoors, the screen will jerk slightly. I'm running WoW on medium settings only, so this seems weird. My current GPU should be better than my PC's GPU (nVidia 560ti) right? Plus my PC can run WoW on ultra with no issues whatsoever.

I thought initially the problem is that WoW would be using my laptop's inbuilt chip, but even after switching the GPU to be the default processor, I still have the same problem.

I haven't done this kind of troubleshooting in a long time (been playing on my PC for the last 3 years, only gotten the laptop very recently), so I'm sorry if I'm missing out some details. Let me know if I should provide more information. Otherwise, can anyone identify what the problem is? or is my GPU just kinda crap?

1.) Laptop
    2.) That GPU is not that great. 560ti blows the 820M out of the water.
    3.) WoW is surprisingly still very CPU heavy - a 1.7Ghz processor doesn't have the beef to churn out a constant stream.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-...ist.844.0.html
    http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-...s-GeForce-820M
    Last edited by Dariss; 2015-02-11 at 07:50 AM.

Your GTX 560 TI is much stronger than the 820M the laptop has. Plus that CPU is pretty low end even in the laptop world.

Any Nvidia x10, x20, x30 or x40 GPUs are NOT meant for gaming and perform poorly in those situations. x50 is the first GPU that can do sort of well in gaming, but is at the bottom of the list.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Alright, good to know (sad to know, but at least I know what the problem is now )
    Thanks guys!