Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by vetinari View Post
    Do you live under a rock?

The whole point of affirmative action hires is to hire someone who fills all the checkboxes and put them somewhere where they can do a minimum of harm, so that you don't get nailed by disparate impact
    No. Every place that I have had a job, doesn't have the so called affirmative action that you people complain about.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Or they're put into those groups because people are treating them differently as it is.
    I understand why it happens but doing it is also part of the problem at the very least it drags out moving on.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Orbitus View Post
    No. Every place that I have had a job, doesn't have the so called affirmative action that you people complain about.
    How very interesting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    I was debating the strategic blunder of Pearl Harbor with my history teacher in 7th grade, I could locate 85% of all nations on a blank map in the 9th grade. These are not hard things to do/understand.
    Ok? Good for you. Now answer my actual question...or run for office. :P

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Orbitus View Post
    Affirmative action is the wrong solution to the right problem. There are some real problems with it the way it is now.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    Please, enlighten me on the qualifications of the american people to set policy on the economy and foreign policy for start. I'll wait here.

I'm not interested in your word twisting strawman building. Most people can't point to Iraq on a map but you want to them to decide military policy? Please.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, that's true, but unfortunately the universe doesn't have an instant karma button that immediately provides justice when someone does something wrong.

The government is supposed to provide and protect the general welfare and the 14th amendment confirmed the governments role in equality.

You might not like it, you might not agree with it, but that's the way the constitution is set up.

Businesses are not allowed to do whatever they like. Sorry.
    Oh is that why the government promoted and enforced segregation for 100 years after the 14th amendment. Also I guarantee you that if I didn't want a fag working at my business, there wouldn't be any fags.

[Infracted]
    Last edited by Endus; 2015-02-13 at 09:43 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    Oh is that why the government promoted and enforced segregation for 100 years after the 14th amendment. Also I guarantee you that if I didn't want a fag working at my business, there wouldn't be any fags.
    I'm really not sure what your point was supposed to be other than a rather sad attempt to be provocative and edgy.

I'm really not sure what your point was supposed to be other than a rather sad attempt to be provocative and edgy.
    arguing that the 14th amendment was somehow against private discrimination is a stupid argument, that was my point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok? Good for you. Now answer my actual question...or run for office. :P

- - - Updated - - -

Affirmative action is the wrong solution to the right problem. There are some real problems with it the way it is now.
    My wife made me agree to not run for office actually.

People should be judged in the workplace, based upon their ability to do the job, and not based upon the fears, myths and stereotypes that one may have due to their race, or gender, or orientation, or disability, or age, religion or national origin.

And if you sort of take that notion, that principle, one step further, it makes business better. To the extent that you're making employment decisions in the workplace, whether they be on the basis of hiring somebody for a job or promoting somebody for a job, or treating somebody on the job, you ground those workplace decisions in the ability of that individual to do the job, rather than on a stereotype, or a fear, or a myth, because that person is from a different race than you, or a different religion, or looks different, or is older, or they prefer the same sex, or doesn't walk, or moves around or communicates in a different way from you.

If you base those workplace decisions, upon the ability of that individual to do the job, you will get the most qualified person.
    Last edited by Kyriani; 2015-02-13 at 08:15 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    arguing that the 14th amendment was somehow against private discrimination is a stupid argument, that was my point.
    But it's been used that way. I guess I'm still not quite sure where you are going with all this. Whether it's a semantics argument or you are trying to state that businesses should be free to do whatever they want.

There is a time and place I guess to argue semantics about what the constitution really states and what was the original intent, but you can't really just toss out centuries of court decisions and interpretations. The first and second amendments are pretty excellent examples of how time has shaped those amendments to mean more than they originally did.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Not addressing it allows it to continue without end.
    You address it like you would if it happened to anybody else. Then is will stop and people wont be conditioned into thinking people are lumped into various groups for random traits, habits or beliefs. You don't break the cycle of people being treated differently by treating them differently.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    You address it like you would if it happened to anybody else.
    Well that's what anti-discrimination laws due. They prevent ANY firing based on race (which includes white) or sexual orientation (which includes straight).

They are blanket laws that treat everyone equal.

But it's been used that way. I guess I'm still not quite sure where you are going with all this. Whether it's a semantics argument or you are trying to state that businesses should be free to do whatever they want.

There is a time and place I guess to argue semantics about what the constitution really states and what was the original intent, but you can't really just toss out centuries of court decisions and interpretations. The first and second amendments are pretty excellent examples of how time has shaped those amendments to mean more than they originally did.
    The civil rights act is what makes firing people based on certain things illegal, as well as forcing you to accomodate them. I have never seen a court case that removed discrimination in a private business based on the 14th amendment, the 14th amendment is irrelevant to private business, it applies to the federal government.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it's time to bring some democracy to Kansas.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Am I the only one who finds it ironic that places like Kansas

and greece

today has some of the most homophobic societies around them?

Don't get me wrong america is progressive (though UKs better) but some of your states belong in somewhere like russia given how backwards it is.
    Last edited by Trassk; 2015-02-14 at 01:52 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Anti-discrimination laws are discriminating against those who want to discriminate. Tolerate my intolerance you bigot!
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vetinari View Post
    Do you live under a rock?

The whole point of affirmative action hires is to hire someone who fills all the checkboxes and put them somewhere where they can do a minimum of harm, so that you don't get nailed by disparate impact
    Do you think it's even remotely possible to find someone who checks that box to be qualified to do the job?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi