Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

Please close this

Who would have know it would be like this
    Last edited by Drsolders; 2015-02-12 at 02:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    God made humans to give handjobs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stop Pretending View Post
    Being older isn't an excuse for being wrong or obtuse. Grats on being the guy that makes me side with Didactic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dat cross lifting works bro

10+ Year Old Account
    Or.. hear me out.. he didn't die at all, because he didn't exist?

I couldn't sit though a class trying to put that forward, if it wanted to teach what religion had in it thats fine, but not trying to claim religious myth as history.

As for Michelandelo's beliefs, yes, he and many other famous influential people from the past were, Albert Einstein, Aristotle, Benjamin Franklin. It was commonplace for even the most intellectual people of those times to believe in god or a god, because that was the statusquo of such times, even in some eras considered a crime not to believe in one (such as certain middle eastern countries today).
    I do believe though if these men lived today they would put aside such belief due to study, and focus fully on the discovery of new ideas, like nearly all scientists do today.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post

I couldn't sit though a class trying to put that forward, if it wanted to teach what religion had in it thats fine, but not trying to claim religious myth as history.

As for Michelandelo's beliefs, yes, he and many other famous influential people from the past were, Albert Einstein, Aristotle, Benjamin Franklin. It was commonplace for even the most intellectual people of those times to believe in god or a god, because that was the statusquo of such times, even in some eras considered a crime not to believe in one (such as certain middle eastern countries today).
    I do believe though if these men lived today they would put aside such belief due to study, and focus fully on the discovery of new ideas, like nearly all scientists do today.
    Um you have to understand the reasoning behind the paintings, no one was EVER told that is what happened. They were told stories from bible to help you understand what the painting is about. For example: the birth of Adam panel in the Sistine chapel. You have to understand what the story is about to understand the art. Never once was anyone told that was what happened.
    Or another example, that little cut always depicted in Jesus's side during the Crucifixion? The story is supposedly Longinus , a roman guard, stabbed Jesus with a spear, he bled but then healed. That is why there is always a small cut on Jesus's right side.
    You have to learn about religion to understand art of that time, the majority of was religious and made for the church.
    Also Jesus was an actual person.
    Last edited by Drsolders; 2015-02-12 at 12:20 PM.
    Being older isn't an excuse for being wrong or obtuse. Grats on being the guy that makes me side with Didactic.

10+ Year Old Account
    He did exist.

Quote Originally Posted by larrakeyah View Post
    He did exist.
    This must be real. It's in Gooogle ^^

Or.. hear me out.. he didn't die at all, because he didn't exist? .
    Umm, completely not a "religious" person here, but I am still 100% sure that a person named Jesus Christ did, infact, exist, and did, infact, serve as the foundation for a pretty freaking huge religous movement.

Now, weather he is, infact, the son of "god", and actually "literally" did all the amazing stuff the bible attributes to him (like feeding thousands of people with a handful of fish and bread, or turning water into wine, or walking on water, or cureing the sick by simply touching them) is a completely different topic all together, but simply discounting his existance entirely is pretty stupid.

I mean, by that logic, we should also completely disregard the existance of anyone born before the invention of the photograph, since no factually acceptable proof of their existance can be presented that could not similarily be refuted. All those famous Greek and Roman Philosophers? Didnt exist. Only proof you have are books, which can easily be faked.
    Last edited by Surfd; 2015-02-12 at 12:23 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    We should lean of the religion and talk about his art, I don't want this thread closed

Like the cool part that he only ever signed 1 piece of his work, the Pieta, because people would mis-attribute the work to others. He got so mad that others were getting credit he later signed, but he felt it ruined the piece and vowed to never sign another piece in his life.

*shrug* Its pretty clear to me that a man called Jesus lived in Nazareth about 2000 years ago and had some pretty neat ideas on how we should treat each other.

One thing thats bothering me - OP did you mean reminiscence or is your phone mumbling renaissance?

And OT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    Umm, completely not a "religious" person here, but I am still 100% sure that a person named Jesus Christ did, infact, exist.
    I'll give people that, odds are he may have, but just not the son of god or water walking cure all white skinned blue eyed man from the middle east, if he did he'd be just like any other brown skinned dark haired man from that era and place. But thats another subject onto itself, I just hold a strong stance against any school trying to force religion in a history class.

Learning about the people, the painters, the architects, the writers, the political figureheads, the dictators, the freedom fighters, the doctors, the lords and ladies, all real people, thats history. And I can understand where in history will will talk about real peoples beliefs and faiths, it might be the driving force for many of their works and discoveries.
    I'm just against bringing in religion into such a class and calling that history, if I thought that viable, have history of the people who wrote the bible and made up the stories in it, not making the stories seem like they are as accountable as what Albert Einstein did.

I even remember this was the case when I was in school in history class, when it tried to include religion in context to history, like we were meant to know the stories of the bible the same as we were british history. I can't remember a thing about any of that, but I remember very clearly learning about world war 2 and the horrors of that war clearly.
    Last edited by Trassk; 2015-02-12 at 12:30 PM.

I'll give people that, odds are he may have, but just not the son of god or water walking cure all white skinned blue eyed man from the middle east, if he did he'd be just like any other brown skinned dark haired man from that era and place. But thats another subject onto itself, I just hold a strong stance against any school trying to force religion in a history class.
    What sort of messed up history could you teach if you didn't include religion? Bah this is derailing the thread ignore me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by Drsolders View Post
    Um you have to understand the reasoning behind the paintings, no one was EVER told that is what happened. They were told stories from bible to help you understand what the painting is about. For example: the birth of Adam panel in the Sistine chapel. You have to understand what the story is about to understand the art. Never once was anyone told that was what happened. You have to learn about religion to understand art of that time, the majority of was religious and made for the church.

Also Jesus was an actual person.
    The church had the money. The artists may or may not have cared much about religion; they went where the commissions were.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    *shrug* Its pretty clear to me that a man called Jesus lived in Nazareth about 2000 years ago and had some pretty neat ideas on how we should treat each other.

One thing thats bothering me - OP did you mean reminiscence or is your phone mumbling renaissance?

And OT:
    Yeah is renaissance, autocorrect ftw

10+ Year Old Account
    Someone take Trassk out of here before this becomes a religion war.

OT; I'm not sure what this is about. What gains?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    The church had the money. The artists may or may not have cared much about religion; they went where the commissions were.
    Actually many of them were unpaid, and unwilling. Michelangelo was pretty much forced into doing the Sistine Chapel. The pope really wanted him to do it.

There is evidence that Jesus was a real person who existed. Just no proof.

OT: I find it's a great way to stay in shape.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrion Lannister View Post
    Congrats Blizz. Everyone who wanted a Vanilla realm will get it with WoD. So much for never moving backward. Though, it will not be a pure vanilla server since you can still fly in the old content, and you don't have to farm things just to raid. Just wanted to congratulate Blizz for giving the folks what they wanted, a classic vanilla world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrion Lannister View Post
    Or, maybe instead of making a strawman, they could just get a lvl 1 pony after they complete a quest in the starting zone

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    Umm, completely not a "religious" person here, but I am still 100% sure that a person named Jesus Christ did, infact, exist, and did, infact, serve as the foundation for a pretty freaking huge religous movement.

Now, weather he is, infact, the son of "god", and actually "literally" did all the amazing stuff the bible attributes to him (like feeding thousands of people with a handful of fish and bread, or turning water into wine, or walking on water, or cureing the sick by simply touching them) is a completely different topic all together, but simply discounting his existance entirely is pretty stupid.

I mean, by that logic, we should also completely disregard the existance of anyone born before the invention of the photograph, since no factually acceptable proof of their existance can be presented that could not similarily be refuted. All those famous Greek and Roman Philosophers? Didnt exist. Only proof you have are books, which can easily be faked.
    He did, most likely exist, but I can guarentee you that Jesus Christ wasn't his name - not a very ancient hebrew name.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Pebbleton View Post
    Someone take Trassk out of here before this becomes a religion war.

OT; I'm not sure what this is about. What gains?
    A lot of his paintings have ripped men, because he wasn't used to painting and the women are pretty much just men with breast because they didn't have female nude models.

NSFW http://www.michelangelo-gallery.org/...6)-1509-10.jpg NSFW

Case and point that is Eve.

Lol what an ignorant. He did existed, however, not in the way bible portrays.
    Last edited by Kuntantee; 2015-02-12 at 12:31 PM.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabblexthree View Post
    There is evidence that Jesus was a real person who existed. Just no proof.

OT: I find it's a great way to stay in shape.
    Ancient middle-east was crawling with prophets, it was a great gig.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    Lol what an ignorant. He did exist, however, not in the way bible portrays.
    WHAT! You mean that Jesus wasn't a white man, with blue eyes and reddish hair!? HERESY!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Drsolders View Post
    A lot of his paintings have ripped men, because he wasn't used to painting and the women are pretty much just men with breast because they didn't have female nude models.

NSFW http://www.michelangelo-gallery.org/...6)-1509-10.jpg NSFW

Case and point that is Eve.
    Also - old Mikey - was very fond of nude males *hint hint wink wink nodge nodge*.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann