WoD at 2560X1440

I recently tried 2560X1440@Ultra settings via NVIDIA's DSR. WoW works really well with NVIDIA's DSR whereas other games are reduced to a blurred mess.

The improvement over 1920X1080 in picture quality is noticeable and impressed me.

My GTX 780 TI GHz Ed is coping very well and usually hovers around 50 C with FPS capped@60.

Overall I am quite happy with upping the resolution and quite surprised at how well WoW responds. I would suggest others with similar GPUs to try 2560X1440.
    Veteran vanilla player - I was 31 back in 2005 when I started playing WoW - Nostalrius raider with a top raid guild.

How does the text look? Got any screenshots? I wonder how DSR manages not to make it pixelated.
    Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.7GHz | MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G x2 in SLI | ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 Motherboard
    8 GB of Kingston HyperX DDR3 | Western Digital Caviar Green 1 TB | Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB
    2x Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB + Corsair Force 3 120 GB SSDs (three-way raid 0)
    Cooler Master HAF 912 plus case | Corsair AX1200 power supply | Thermaltake NiC C5 Untouchable CPU cooler
    Asus PG278Q ROG SWIFT (1440p @ 144 Hz, GSync + 3D vision)

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Probably the problem is that 1440p isn't an exact multiple of 1080p. You'd probably get the same results trying to downsample from 1440p to 4K. 4K DSR would probably get rid of the blur issues unless of course the blur is due to a bad DSR smoothness setting. Only problem with 4K is most games won't play well on it and menus will usually look tiny as hell. You can set individual settings for each game though so it'll only enable DSR for like WoW while leaving 1080p for other games.

Basically when downsampling, it's fitting pixels in to each actual pixel you have on screen. So with 4K downsampling, you'd be squeezing 4 pixels into a single actual pixel to get a sharper image while with 1440p you're trying to squeeze partial pixels (2.25 to be exact) into that single pixel. Can probably be better explained along with a more proper terminology but you get the basic idea.
    Last edited by Arbiter; 2015-02-13 at 06:12 PM.
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |

It looks far better than in the above screenie.

http://i.imgur.com/uGPGXej.jpg
    Veteran vanilla player - I was 31 back in 2005 when I started playing WoW - Nostalrius raider with a top raid guild.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbiter View Post
    Basically when downsampling, it's fitting pixels in to each actual pixel you have on screen. So with 4K downsampling, you'd be squeezing 4 pixels into a single actual pixel to get a sharper image while with 1440p you're trying to squeeze partial pixels (2.25 to be exact) into that single pixel. Can probably be better explained along with a more proper terminology but you get the basic idea.
    Technically a pixel can only display one color, this is just me nitpicking.
    The idea of downsampling is just to get more detail into the screen due to higher res. My experience with it though, is it's really a placebo effect of all things. As long as the field of view is the same, you're going to be pretty much seeing the same thing. Only reason it would change is if there's different textures used in bigger resolution.
    It's also no different than SSAA.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2015-02-14 at 03:32 AM.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Technically a pixel can only display one color, this is just me nitpicking.
    The idea of downsampling is just to get more detail into the screen due to higher res. My experience with it though, is it's really a placebo effect of all things. As long as the field of view is the same, you're going to be pretty much seeing the same thing. Only reason it would change is if there's different textures used in bigger resolution.
    It's also no different than MSAA.
    Yea, I really just didn't know a better way to explain it honestly. I don't 100% understand the technology to know the best way to explain it. It's just the best way I could explain why it was blurry with the knowledge I do have.

I've always seen downsampling as more of a "virtually adding more pixels into the pixel" when it's not necessarily there? I guess? Feel free to better explain how exactly it works as I'd be more than interested in hearing it lol.
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |

10+ Year Old Account
    It likely looks better due to the resize filter smoothing out edges on all 3d models. Comparing DSR/SSAA of any kind vs the current CMAA, I feel fairly certain you'll be able to note the difference if you're picky. Since it's below 2x SSAA in performance hit, it might actually be a thing for some people to try if unsatisfied with the AA-options of the 6.0 client.

Come 6.1 we will get back MSAA and even get in-game option for SSAA, though. MSAA will likely net a neater result and have less of an impact (though still a notable one) on performance compared to DSR. DSR 1440p and MSAA are not the same thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbiter View Post
    Yea, I really just didn't know a better way to explain it honestly. I don't 100% understand the technology to know the best way to explain it. It's just the best way I could explain why it was blurry with the knowledge I do have.

I've always seen downsampling as more of a "virtually adding more pixels into the pixel" when it's not necessarily there? I guess? Feel free to better explain how exactly it works as I'd be more than interested in hearing it lol.
    Idea is to downsample a higher resolution texture into something that your monitor resolution can display. It only matters provided the resolution you start with was really low resolution texture and the resolution used to downsample is higher resolution texture. If you started with something high resolution texture to begin with and the one at the higher resolution is the same, you'll see absolutely no difference, vice versa applies, low with low. Maybe some color distortions. It's nice AA though.
    Since marketing jargon is there, you won't be getting some '4k resolution experience' regardless. You're going to lose some detail with the downsampling process cause your monitor isn't that big.
    Again, it's essentially the same as SSAA (accidentally said MSAA, I get them confused), where you're rendering an image at higher resolution and downsampling it.