Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I’m not sure what kind of area you live in, but have you considered volunteering while you are looking for work? It doesn't have to be a huge time commitment, maybe just start at 5 or 6 hours week and increase if you like the organization and the people you are working with.

It is obviously not ideal to be working for free but there can be a lot of benefits to it. You get to be outside of the house and feel like have a purpose, which can be a morale booster. If you form quality connections with the people you volunteer with they can be a great resource when looking for a job and if you actually bust your ass they might be able be an excellent reference. And lastly, when you go to apply for a job you can make your gap in employment not looks so bad by highlighting that you have spent your time volunteering instead of just sitting at home. Just don’t half-ass it.

I’ll end by apologizing if this post makes no sense. I've been drinking but felt like I really needed to say something, even if you weren't looking for advice, because, well, alcohol does that. I’ll revisit this post again tomorrow.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyndeleron View Post
    Having those moments when you get stuck in the past really suck
    It's due to the brain and mental wireing, we remember negative events more ore often rather then positive ones. Nothing you could do about it tho...

$25,000 grant to go to college, dad always there with a job to give you, disability from the US military for the rest of your life?

Some would say you're blessed.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

The Lightbringer Conspicuous Cultist's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The 25k grant would've been kind of nice to skate on for awhile... Even if you just blew it all on a couple of years in uni and just hit on girls but I won't judge, OP.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    and telling them to suck it up is going to improve things how exactly? oh that's right it isn't. usually the idea is to provide advice on what direction to go in not to tell them to shut up and go whine somewhere else.
    I am the type of person who calls a spade a spade, not a ground breaking garden implement to move earth from location to location. If I wanted to say "shut oup and go whine elsewhere, I would have. Instead I offered the most important bit of advice they will ever get. No use sugar coating it, offering false platitudes, or life experiences that I have gone through to offer moral support just simple honest truth on the matter, Life can be shit at times and you have no other option but to deal with it.

The Lightbringer Conspicuous Cultist's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    I am the type of person who calls a spade a spade, not a ground breaking garden implement to move earth from location to location. If I wanted to say "shut oup and go whine elsewhere, I would have. Instead I offered the most important bit of advice they will ever get. No use sugar coating it, offering false platitudes, or life experiences that I have gone through to offer moral support just simple honest truth on the matter, Life can be shit at times and you have no other option but to deal with it.
    Thing is, you're offering advice of no value - sometimes someone just has to let loose their baggage because nobody will listen to them IRL and they'll continue on and deal with it anyway but maybe someone will have a good bit of advice or a funny anecdote to pass on.

There's nothing wrong with asking for help or hope someone will read it. Yes, life is obviously not perfect and you don't need a perception check beyond DC 5 to realize that.

Deleted
    Keep pushing buddy... you will reach a point where you sort of settle down and finally get a nice life after all the pain you been through. I know I did when I moved to UK from Poland.

Deleted
    Probably leave your country and try it elsewhere.

10+ Year Old Account
    Stop focusing on others and focus on your own life. What you have, what you've seen. where you can go. There is shit you just can't control in life, information you didn't, things you didn't realize, but thats life. Nobody's life is perfect, no ones life is typical. Most of if it you can't even control, its reactions to whatever life throws you. So you find things that bring you joy in life and hold on to them, big or small. The feeling doesn't just go away but you have to learn to let go of the faults of the past and learn that things tend to happen the way that they are supposed to, good or bad. Sounds cliche but more people have it worse than you than those who you to perceive to have it better.
    Last edited by PACOX; 2015-02-14 at 09:51 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You are going to die... don't take that as a criticism though take it as a positive, in 60+ years you and everyone you know will most likely will be dead / dying. Barely anyone will remember anything you did and if they do then they will die soon too, it doesn't matter if you were rich and successful or a homeless guy living on the street both will be dead and forgotten. The most important thing in life is to do what you want and enjoy yourself, do what ever makes you happy while you can. Don't be pressured to meet societies expectations of you, they are mostly just bull crud anyway to keep people in line, the most important thing on this planet is you.

I should say you're really strong person. But think about people who has a cancer or other incurable diseases. Millions of people are living dead. Some of them even don't have parents. Think about people who live in poor countries. Then concentrate on what you have and don't think about failures. I don't know what else to say. I wish you to have to get by.

In regards to the straight edge...its never too late for ol' Jack Daniels. He'll be your friend rain or shine

I don't understand where the problem is? Were you expecting to turn in to a rock star? It sounds like you're able to work, you haven't died yet of malaria. Most people just work boring jobs, masturbate and forget all the shit they don't have to overcome by living in the first-world. Don't get fooled by media to think live should be some glamourous thing.
    Last edited by Rukh; 2015-02-14 at 12:46 PM.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Hi OP, seems you have alot more inn life than me. And will continue to have.

Regardess, the other side. Right now I can't even see any direction for my life at all.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Well it does. Unless you are a 1% type person with a trust fund, then at some point in your life things will be shit, you just got to accept, Deal with it and try to improve.
    Even if you are rich, the one constant in life is people forget how good they have it. Overcoming things is satisfaction and if you're born with everything there's much less to overcome. That's why we americans have to manufacture so much fake outrage to overcome. If we lived in Somalia we'd be happer. Well most of us would be dead, but we'd have plenty to overcome.

OP needs to watch two movies.

First, Fight Club, to stop worrying about life not turning out glamourously, and second a movie/documentary called "happy".

http://www.thehappymovie.com/
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    OK, but how many people can say they dated a person who literally turned into Miley Cyrus?
    *raises hand, maybe two of em*

Deleted
    TL;DR

Anybody got a short summary

- - - Updated - - -

Just read it, try living with DMD at age 28 before complaining about frankly an easy life you've had

Deleted
    Ok, sometimes life sucks but if you carry on at one point there's a silver lining on the cloud so to say.

You need to focus on the good things in your life too, you got a good BMX run, you have free money from military, you have a father who is willing to hire you.

You also need to re-evaluate what you want in life. You don't get jobs because you lack experience so you need to go and find these shitty jobs that you obviously fail at.
    Why did you not finish college? If you can still afford it, go back and finish it. Will it be hard? Sure it will, but at the end of it you will get a degree which will get you better jobs. Otherwise you'll be forever stuck in these shitty situations with shit jobs.

Welcome to to the real world, it sucks, Deal with it.
    I don't think you understand how damaging comments like these are. People are genuinely depressed about their lives, and this is the kind of shit you tell them.

Yes, life is hard sometimes. Does that mean you're destined to live the rest of your life feeling like crap, that you can't get help, or that it won't get better? Seriously, stay away from these kind of threads if you have nothing constructive to add. You're not cool or edgy, you're just being an obnoxious asshole.
    Last edited by Coronius; 2015-02-14 at 03:38 PM.
    You cannot do that while stunned.
    You die.
    You are dead.

If the OP was serious, I have found the problem and have the answer:

You are selfish. And it is killing you.

I read all of that and it is all ME ME ME. Your focus is on yourself all the time. That will destroy your soul. If you want everything to turn around, you NEED to refocus your life. No more "Why me?" From now on, you focus MUST be "Hey, even if everything didn't work out for me today, at LEAST I helped THAT person today." BONUS POINTS if the person you helped was mean to you or screwed you over.

Why help others? Why turn the other cheek? For your MENTAL health. Do it and you find you feel better and better and more positive each day.

And this is what my Chrisitan religion teaches me and it works. Don't listen to these atheists who rant about the Bible not being accurate, or Jesus riding dinosaurs. They are focusing on everything that is NOT important about Christianity. Christianity is meant for mental health for people like you. Its a moral code that teaches you to be selfless which makes you happy. So you might wanna look into Christianity as well.