Need Help with Resto Shaman Performance

Hey,

Our Resto Shaman lacks behind at most Bossfights even them where Resto shaman is very strong. We already read some Threads about Resto here, and tried to use the information for increasing the performance, but a look over our logs from a experienced resto would be the best way to increase it as good as possible. So if there is anyone who can help, please take a look at our logs and help us to optimize everything.

Logs: warcraftlogs.com/reports/phZD829LcntdGzYK

They are from yesterday but there are more logs at "Recent Reports" to have a look at, BRF HC too.

Hope anyone could Help.

10+ Year Old Account
    i dunno, seems right in line with the other 2 healers. whats the problem?

The holy priest performance isn't optimal too, just have a look at the ilvl differences between "Shiele" and "Phieby" or "Lairely". I don't think that theres everything fine in the playstyle of Lairely and Phieby. And we now want to try to get help to optimize them.

Syntriox(Druid) is even better than Phieby and Lairely too.

Deleted
    I am not a mythic level Resto or anything but it seems pretty good to me tbh.

Tidal Waves up time is very good.

Earth Shield up time is very good.

If I was being picky...

Healing Stream up time could be more, I suggest using Weak Auras or something to remind him.

He is talented into Elemental Blast (which is good imo) but he is not 100% using it on CD again using Weak Auras might help.

What issues are you experiencing? Are you expecting to go 2 tanks 2 healers and 7 dps, that might be a bit rough.

Healing performance is tricky to evaluate as healing is not all about the numbers and for Normal BRF I think he is pretty good, remember you can't evaluate healing like you can DPS.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jenox View Post
    The holy priest performance isn't optimal too, just have a look at the ilvl differences between "Shiele" and "Phieby" or "Lairely". I don't think that theres everything fine in the playstyle of Lairely and Phieby. And we now want to try to get help to optimize them.

When you say better.

Do you mean their HPS is better?

You know this is just how it is right now right?

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/statist...unt&dataset=80

Also worth noting having a Disc Priest in the group is a Resto Shamans worst nightmare as the way disc works makes our strongest stat, mastery less effective!

Again this is the problem with evaluating Healing, it is 100% not the same as evaluating DPS.
    Last edited by mmoc3dde1cb131; 2015-02-14 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Clarification! Will stop now!

Quote Originally Posted by Jenox View Post

It's normal for a 660 ilvl disc priest to be higher on the meters than a 670 ilvl resto shaman or holy priest, especially on normal difficulty where most of the damage gets absorbed before they have a chance to heal.

Looking at heroic logs (https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...ntV1Pj#fight=8), the shaman was 2nd after the holy pala, and the disc priest was last. Once your disc will have equal gear, he'll probably top the heroic meters as well. This doesn't mean the disc priest is a better player, it's just the way healing works, since absorbs have priority over heals.

While this is true for every healer, it's especially true for shamans since their mastery (deep healing) increases their heals the lower HP someone has, therefore they are stronger when things go wrong, and look weak on the meters when everything is OK.

Couple of things I noticed:

- He popped ascendance and healing tide totem together, both in gruul and beastlord darmac. This is usually a waste, since each cooldown by itself is strong, and when used together they cause each other to overheal.

- He's enchanting crit, I think mastery is a stronger stat for progression. Going mastery might make him look weaker on the meters vs crit, so part of his stats choice might be the pressure he gets in the guild to look good on the meters.

- On those two fights he went with glyph of riptide for more high tide jumps + conductivity. I think this combo usually doesn't work well together, since with the glyph we use more GCDs to cast riptide, and they don't prolong healing rain. Rushing streams may be preferable with the glyph, or alternatively, conductivity without the glyph. For gruul specifically I think conductivity isn't that good of a choice since the smashes hit two separate groups. Ideally we'd want to move the healing rain between those groups in sync with the smashes, and if we do this it won't stay long enough in the same spot for conductivity to be beneficial.

Thanks for the good feedback, If there are more ideas or attitudes just post them it's very interesting to read point of views of other healers.

Sadly it feels like theres heal missing in some situations, and they don't heal up the raid as quick as others, if I look for streams or something else.
    Maybe I'm too spoilt by healing in mists of pandaria it's just the way of thinking about perfection in our raidgroup, our target is to raid mythic mode, but actually we don't got the performance to clear or kill the heroic bosses as fast as I want too.

And I try to get help to improve our performance in every way possible. :>

What Quilzar said: his uptimes are good, short cooldown use is good. The only thing I find worth pointing out is that his Healing Rain uptime is overall quite low, and he should be using it more, especially when you can precast it before predictable AoE damage. An example of a fight where Healing Rain is perfect would be Gruul. Parts of the fight are spent dodging things with very little actual damage taken by the raid, but it's still worth using for most of that fight: his HR uptime on Gruul was 38%, while my own was 64% on this week's kill.

He could improve his performance quite a lot with relatively little effort, though. His cooldown use is... well, it's terrible. No matter how long a fight is, he almost always only uses each of his big cooldowns once per fight, and usually very late. This tells me that he's not thinking about cooldown use before the pull, and just uses them as panic buttons for when things go poorly, which is not a very effective strategy. He should be planning about how best to use Healing Tide Totem and Ascendance on each fight (hint: don't stack them) to get both the most uses and the best effect from each use.

For example, check the cooldown use and mana curve for Beastlord Darmac. For most of the fight, his mana is slowly dwindling down with no cooldown use, then in the final phase he's extremely low on mana and uses all cooldowns to keep up with the damage: Healing Tide at 5:02 and Ascendance at 6:05. He could have used both of those abilities earlier in the fight as a cheap way of doing a lot of healing and saving a bunch of mana, and still had both of them available again for the final phase. That's a lot better than entering the most intense phase with no mana (11% when he used Ascendance).

Even worse is that he doesn't use Spirit Link Totem at all even on fights where it's great. The damage reduction it provides is really nice on predictable AoE damage (like Gruul and Darmac), the equalization is good on any fight with spiky damage on individuals (like Hans & Franz), for keeping tanks alive while they're tanking a lot of adds (like on Operator Thogar), and it's also quite handy for mitigating predictable tank damage while also ensuring that the tank is topped off before the hit (like heroic/mythic Hans & Franz).
    Diplomacy is just war by other means.