Page 1 of 2
LastLast

6.1 Resto Shaman

•Restoration

•Restorative Waves now increases all healing done by 40% (up from 30%).

So another 10% blanket buff seems to be coming our way. I wonder if blizzard will ever learn to think of a way to work around our strengths and weaknesses other than giving us a boring buff every patch.

Deleted
    For once I don't actually mind the blanket buff.

At the moment I really like how the class plays, I am using more spells than I did in Mists and I do like the play style.

I will take a blanket buff over the Make Healing Spring super OP buff from 5.4 any day of the week!

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm doing competitively well, with or without this buff. But, I know for sure that if we were properly balanced, I wouldn't just be above most all I raid with, but I would spank them silly.

On topic though, it seems they like the toolkit we have, but find us really hard to balance. So, they tune us as they see fit, most likely always being conservative, and then buffing us down the road. Heaven forbid Resto Shaman be "OP" for a tier.

As for a solution though, I think one or two talent tiers needed to be completely scrapped, given baseline where needed, and for life to breathed into the class. For example, the Totem tier, the Healing tier, and the level 100 tier are either completely utterly lackluster or have no choice at all for 98% of fights (i.e. mandatory). Our bread and butter (Healing Rain) has one talent that marginally buffs it - that's it. There's no glyph, no synergy. I think this is a good example of the state of [Resto] Shaman - we're lackluster, and lack multiple playstyles or choices... very cookie cutter. We either glyph Riptide and/or Chain Heal, or not, and that's how we differ from fight to fight. Not exactly groundbreaking choice, nor playstlye for that matter...

I see absolutely no reason (in regards to balance) the ENTIRE totem tier cannot be baseline, and give us a more interesting tier for something like Ghostwolf or altering the elemental totems. Give us REAL and interesting choice. Make us cooler and fun; keep in mind, "cool" and "fun" don't need to be overpowered, just interesting and unique.

The healing tier has two boring passive buffs to existing spells/totems, and the other choice is a wet noodle in comparison. If they're happy with a passive healing model, then make them at least competitive. For example, Ancestral Guidance could, as a passive effect, also give the shaman the old, stripped Ancestral Awaken effect. Both other talents buff an existing spells in a passive way, and Rushing Stream is a smart heal too boot. Balance the numbers, and BAM!... real choice. Take Conduct, also. Why doesn't it also splash heal for like 10% of direct heals over the healing area, like it used to, on top of the duration effect. BAM!... some interesting choices. Balance the numbers, and now I'm having a hard time choosing (P.S.- this is a good problem to have).
    Last edited by Irisel; 2015-02-14 at 06:17 PM.

Rule of Thumb: If the healer's HPS is higher than your DPS, you're doing it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Jigatwat View Post
    •Restoration

•Restorative Waves now increases all healing done by 40% (up from 30%).

So another 10% blanket buff seems to be coming our way. I wonder if blizzard will ever learn to think of a way to work around our strengths and weaknesses other than giving us a boring buff every patch.
    It's not nearly a 10% buff though. Even if RW affected everything we did, going from 130% -> 140% would be 7.7%. But if you look at Restorative Waves tooltip, it doesn't affect healing totems or healing rain.

So it's more like a 7.7% buff to CH, RT, HW & HS. On most of my logs HR / HST / HTT is ~ 50-55% of my healing, so it's a 7.7% buff to the other 45-50%.

Not complaining at all (especially since PW:S got brought down a peg), I'm glad we got a buff, but it's not nearly 10% overall. I would guess for most of us closer to 4%, unless my math is off.

Quote Originally Posted by RestoMurilo View Post
    It's not nearly a 10% buff though. Even if RW affected everything we did, going from 130% -> 140% would be 7.7%. But if you look at Restorative Waves tooltip, it doesn't affect healing totems or healing rain.

So it's more like a 7.7% buff to CH, RT, HW & HS. On most of my logs HR / HST / HTT is ~ 50-55% of my healing, so it's a 7.7% buff to the other 45-50%.

Not complaining at all (especially since PW:S got brought down a peg), I'm glad we got a buff, but it's not nearly 10% overall. I would guess for most of us closer to 4%, unless my math is off.
    The tooltip wording is a bit confusing, but the resto 50% totems and 100% healing rain is in addition to the 30%, not instead.
    For example, on live I get the following:

elemental spec: HR tick 1112, HST tick 4094
    resto spec: HR tick 2892, HST tick 7982

If we apply both the 30% restorative waves buff and the extra 50% totem / 100% healing rain resto buffs to the elemental numbers, we get the measured resto numbers:

HR: 1.3 * 2.0 * 1112 = 2891.2
    HST: 1.3 * 1.5 * 4094 = 7983.3

HTT can't be tested this way since elemental doesn't have it, but I'd guess it's also affected from both buffs like HST.

So overall this does look like a 1.4/1.3 = 7.7% buff to all resto spells.

Deleted
    I still don't think it fixes them in Arena. (The only reason they're currently viable is because some other carrying classes are extremely overpowered, and Shaman can work with them. Most notably hunters. Shamans still have a problem with being targeted by melee, and the carnage that ensues..)

I think blanket buffing the healing won't especially help when you're stunlocked to death.

I like this way of buffing, and being able to do this was the main reason these blanket passives exist. This is way better than a clumsily implemented buff to Chain Heal or something. The play style now is fine (in PvE). Talents need fixing, but the spec itself is good.
    Diplomacy is just war by other means.

10+ Year Old Account
    Make EB have a healing component like Penance or Chi Wave and resto instantly becomes more fun. The end.

If you look at the 6.1 post on the wow website, the changes described above are no longer present. They aren't scratched off, which would indicate that they were reverted back, but they were just removed. Not sure what this means....

Quote Originally Posted by Zelgadys View Post
    If you look at the 6.1 post on the wow website, the changes described above are no longer present. They aren't scratched off, which would indicate that they were reverted back, but they were just removed. Not sure what this means....
    Actually its still there.

You might have looked under "Talent Changes" but its listed under "Class Changes"

You nearly gave me a heart attack when you said the changes were removed. I've checked. It's still there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Licarius View Post
    Make EB have a healing component like Penance or Chi Wave and resto instantly becomes more fun. The end.
    500 secondary stats, 1000 spirit, AND have it heals, would make this mandatory talent: ABSOLUTELY COMPLETELY MANDATORY /dramatic music

Rule of Thumb: If the healer's HPS is higher than your DPS, you're doing it wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Irisel View Post
    500 secondary stats, 1000 spirit, AND have it heals, would make this mandatory talent: ABSOLUTELY COMPLETELY MANDATORY /dramatic music
    Wait you mean it isn't already? I mean 1k Spirit is the pretty pathetic compared to the other talents...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cai View Post
    Wait you mean it isn't already? I mean 1k Spirit is the pretty pathetic compared to the other talents...
    I think I'm confused by your question. But, most top shaman take Elem Blast on every single fight, at least any longer than the 6-8 min mark. Are you actually under the assumption that 1,000 mana is "pathetic?"

Deleted
    I think I'm confused by your question. But, most top shaman take Elem Blast on every single fight, at least any longer than the 6-8 min mark. Are you actually under the assumption that 1,000 mana is "pathetic?"
    I think it was sarcasam (It is hard to tell on a forum ofc though)

Quote Originally Posted by Licarius View Post
    I like Elemental Blast the way it is. It's like a mini-version of Telluric Currents from Cataclysm, which I really enjoyed (I know a lot of people hated it). The fact that it doesn't heal is part of what makes the talent interesting, as it means you have to actually choosing between doing healing now and regenerating mana for later. If it both healed and granted spirit, it would just be another thing to click when it comes off cooldown.
    Diplomacy is just war by other means.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Alltat View Post
    I like Elemental Blast the way it is. It's like a mini-version of Telluric Currents from Cataclysm, which I really enjoyed (I know a lot of people hated it). The fact that it doesn't heal is part of what makes the talent interesting, as it means you have to actually choosing between doing healing now and regenerating mana for later. If it both healed and granted spirit, it would just be another thing to click when it comes off cooldown.
    Pretty much this. I would like to see some more glyphs/talents that actually be useful. Comparing to other healers our talent/glyphs are same for most fights.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry, sarcasm isn't best done in text. Should of included /s.

Also no 1k Spirit is the bread and butter of that talent, I don't take the others esp since more spirit means more mana and more mana means more healing. Only if Resto could use it to heal instead of doing damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Cai View Post
    Sorry, sarcasm isn't best done in text. Should of included /s.

Also no 1k Spirit is the bread and butter of that talent, I don't take the others esp since more spirit means more mana and more mana means more healing. Only if Resto could use it to heal instead of doing damage.
    I'm more than fine with it not doing healing, even with it doing the pathetic damage that it does do. But it should be instant. It would help during movement phases, and it's not like it would be the first instant cast spell with a mana return currently active(looking at you pw:solace).

I find it strange that they implement a mana regen mechanic like this for shaman in WoD. Paladins had a similar mechanic back in the day (judging seal of insight) and they removed it because it was a boring housekeeping task. As a talent it pretty much kills choice for that tier.