Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Talking New Canon Races for Elder Scrolls?

Skyrim is considered by most to be one of the best fantasy RPGs ever and I can kind of agree with that (I still love WoW and would take it over Skyrim if I had to choose just based off lore alone).

If you could have any race(s) added to the next Elder Scroll Game (hopefully better than ESO)?

Personally, I like the idea of a bovid race (different from tauren), but again that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    Skyrim is considered by most to be one of the best fantasy RPGs ever
    Said who? I don't recall the TES games getting any critical acclaim after Morrowind.

And yes, another bestial race might be cool.

All the bestial races look god awful in TES games. Their artist have no idea and everything just looks like a human in a mask. Your design is sound, there's just no way in hell it would be given the model it deserves unless Bethesda clear out their current character team.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Furries are likely to get their fill from Akavir once we go there, all the men have been wiped out there so it's just beast(iality) races now.
    I liked the kothringi we saw in elder scrolls online, but they're all wiped out, unless we find the survivors of the Crimson ship.

10+ Year Old Account
    Am I the only person who finds TES races a bunch of soulless walking cliches?

They are amazing sandbox adventures, each and every game don't get me wrong but I don't find the lore of that universe in any way compelling.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    Said who? I don't recall the TES games getting any critical acclaim after Morrowind.

Yeah, I just always thought horns were cool and you could get a lot of customization out of them. Also, yaks come in a lot of unique colors.

Also (extremely implausible if a bovid race were to happen) there could be different races of them (yak, bison, banteng).

Idk

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Obelisk357 View Post
    Am I the only person who finds TES races a bunch of soulless walking cliches?

They are amazing sandbox adventures, each and every game don't get me wrong but I don't find the lore of that universe in any way compelling.
    No, you're not the only one. The TES series emphasizes quantity over quality, a bunch of huge open worlds but devoid of soul and immersion, with tons of small points of interests that you forget as soon as you deal with them.

I liked Gothic 1&2 a lot more than Boredomwind back then.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    I really don't think TES needs any more races. And especially furry ones.

IF they make any more races playable (which I doubt) how about choosing one already established in lore? More likely they would just piss off lore fans if they went

"hey look at this new race they were totally here the entire time and not made up despite no mention of them ever before in lore"

Also if you just want them for horn customization- argonians have horns, you're welcome. I'd much rather them add in some of the different sub-breed of argonians /khajiit

10+ Year Old Account
    If you want a butt ugly new race just add Sload

Wasn't aware of it until I looked at their page but they actually showed up in the Redguard game.
    Beyond that as far as Beast races go there are fox, snake, monkey and tiger variants, The tiger ones being distinct from the Khajit
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

Deleted
    Not sure if serious...

Both Oblivion and Skyrim have a 94 on metacritic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpasaurus Rex View Post
    I liked Gothic 1&2 a lot more than Boredomwind back then.
    Your Good Taste In Games award is in the mail my good sir.
    Her hall is called Eljudnir,
    her dish is Hunger,
    her knife is Famine,
    her slave is Lazy,
    and Slothful is her woman servant.

Where have you been? A few butthurt and vocal fans aside Oblivion and Skyrim were praised to the high heavens by tons of reviewers and fans alike.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    I really don't think TES needs any more races. And especially furry ones.
    This.

The current selection of playable races is more than enough. It'd be silly to change that in favour of adding something completely different. I'm really disliking the pressure to add anything and everything under the sun, especially when it genuinely feels like it's only being done to appease the 'furry' crowd.

It seems unlikely that the Elder Scrolls franchise will add any new races to the franchise for a long time. A lot of TES is fairly well plotted in advance, the drive of the series is after all based on prophecies. Hence the titular, Elder Scrolls.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be

That's hilarious. Skyrim was praised to high heaven, and you know this. It won GOTY and everything back in '11.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    It seems unlikely that the Elder Scrolls franchise will add any new races to the franchise for a long time. A lot of TES is fairly well plotted in advance, the drive of the series is after all based on prophecies. Hence the titular, Elder Scrolls.
    *If* they ever add more, it's most likely to be the Dwemer, that have - somehow - survived.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    That's hilarious. Skyrim was praised to high heaven, and you know this. It won GOTY and everything back in '11.

- - - Updated - - -

*If* they ever add more, it's most likely to be the Dwemer, that have - somehow - survived.
    The last Dwemer was seen in Morrowind no? If they ever show up again I imagine it will be the plot of a game with a prophecy involved in saving them
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

There are many existing non-playable races described in the TES lore like the snake people. If it was something brand new though, something I think we don't see enough of in fantasy RPGs are playable humanoid avian/eagle races. And I don't mean hagravens.

I'd rather see some love for the already existing races of Nirn that don't get much attention outside of the lore.

Moarmer would probably make the most sense, considering they were part of the Aldmeri Dominion in the past and there are plenty of them running around Pyandonea. The Sload and the various races of Akavir would be a little harder to make playable, but its their games and lore so it's still possible. They could also revive some of the extinct races that were just killed off in lore like the Lefthanded elves, the Kothringi (I actually think one of them is still alive in lore at least), or the Lilmothiit. The only one I would really be against is the Dwemer since their story is already kind of told, and they totally deserved it anyway.

I think we still have enough of Tamriel proper to explore without inviting the other continents to come play. Given the general level of suspicion and contempt the current races have for one another, some random visitors from a distant shore wouldn't exactly fit in, and fans of Wood Elves, Khajiit and Argonians would be *beyond pissed* if instead of Valenwood or Black Marsh or Elsweyr we toddled off to a different continent.

Black Marsh and Valenwood are practically Warhammer 40,000 Death Worlds in some areas which would make them really interesting to play in, kind of the Ash Wastes from Morrowind but dialed to 11 on the "Inhospitable" scale.