Thread: PC for WoW only

PC for WoW only

Hey everyone!

Can you suggest me the cheapest configuration for playing WoW with max settings? Monitor would be 21+ inches.

And just for the information: what parts are the most important for WoW? CPU, RAM at no less than 8gb?

Thank you!

I would also want to know this, please. : )

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pale Cat View Post
    Hey everyone!

Can you suggest me the cheapest configuration for playing WoW with max settings? Monitor would be 21+ inches.

And just for the information: what parts are the most important for WoW? CPU, RAM at no less than 8gb?

Thank you!
    WoW isn't a very hard game to run at max settings even with the new updates it is designed very well. Saying that RAM is a big factor but 8GB should be enough I'd just research for computer around your price range then buy the parts separate (to make it a fair mount cheaper) and build it yourself this way you might even be able to upgrade a part as it will be a lot cheaper.

Deleted
    WoW is CPU bound, not sure on min but my i5 4670k has no issues, 8 gb of ram is a good plan so you can have some stuff running in the background but you could survive on 4gb if desperate.

10+ Year Old Account
    WoW tends to be pro intel&nvidia.
    With CPU being the most important part. Like Zanthos said, an i5 will be perfect. Splurge for 8gb of ram as well.
    You can get a fairly inexpensive z87 or even z97 motherboard for the haswell i5.

Nvidia 960 can be purchased for around $200 and will rock WoW at 1080p for along time.
    Like this GPU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814500371

Mobo example http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813132118

Toss in a decent 500-550watt psu and you'll be set for WoW. You won't need anymore than 550watt with the 960 video card

OP said cheapest, i5s are expensive.

Haswell Pentium + GeForce 960 and 4GB of RAM, tho I recommend 8GB of RAM. 400-500w PSU is enough, Haswell CPUs and Maxwell GPUs are very energy efficient.
    Warrax, Fury Warrior
    Silika, BM Hunter

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Warrax View Post
    OP said cheapest, i5s are expensive.

Haswell Pentium + GeForce 960 and 4GB of RAM, tho I recommend 8GB of RAM. 400-500w PSU is enough, Haswell CPUs and Maxwell GPUs are very energy efficient.
    Calling i5s expensive and then suggest a 960.. A 750ti would be more then enough

Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    Calling i5s expensive and then suggest a 960.. A 750ti would be more then enough
    They are expensive for playing WoW only yes since you don't benefit from the extra cores, it's like 120$ more over Pentiums. It's more worthwhile to invest in a good GPU when you already covered the CPU. 750ti is a good choice but I believe it's best to spend an extra for the 960 since it's almost twice stronger if you budget allows.
    Last edited by Warrax; 2015-02-15 at 08:42 PM.
    Warrax, Fury Warrior
    Silika, BM Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Warrax View Post
    They are expensive for playing WoW only yes since you don't benefit from the extra cores, it's like 120$ more over Pentiums. It's more worthwhile to invest in a good GPU when you already covered the CPU. 750ti is a good choice but I believe it's best to spend an extra for the 960 since it's almost twice stronger.
    a multi-core will still benefit you better because you have other things running in the background.

Quote Originally Posted by zhero View Post
    a multi-core will still benefit you better because you have other things running in the background.
    Have you actually tried it? I sure did, for years and currently doing it (I disabled HT and 2 cores and underclocked back to 3ghz) and I'm using a SandyBridge cpu, not Haswell.

Haswell Pentiums are strong enough for WoW while having light apps running in the background, a browser with many tabs open and listening to music while talking on Skype, they basically only use RAM.

WoW only use 1 core fully and 10-50% on the second core so about 75% total CPU usage MAX at 3ghz. Encoding stuff while playing WoW? Streaming while playing WoW? Scanning for malware while playing WoW? sure, a dual-core will struggle to do all that simultaneously but an i5 will do it without issues and an i7 will do even better because these are CPU intensive tasks, not light apps.

Edit: typos
    Last edited by Warrax; 2015-02-15 at 10:18 PM.
    Warrax, Fury Warrior
    Silika, BM Hunter

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanthos View Post
    WoW is CPU bound
    That's right, it's CPU bound to 2 cores. That's why the WoW Special Edition 2.0 EXTREME PC only needs to be $500. Cause dual cores is all you need and the graphics card doesn't matter. This game scales terribly.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor ($68.98 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z97M Anniversary Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($74.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill NS Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($60.98 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.00 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Azza SIRIUS ATX Mid Tower Case ($24.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($28.99 @ NCIX US)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer ($14.98 @ OutletPC)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.75 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $511.65
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-15 15:46 EST-0500