Mage organizations and society

Hello i was just intersted and wondering how many mage organizations are there?

I'm aware of dalaran and the kirin tor which mainly consist of humans with the side of gnomes, blood elfs, and high elves.

Although I'm wondering where do certain mages fit in with their respective society, such as orc mages, dwarf mages or pandaren mages, or night elf mages in their current standings.

Night elf mages are highborne or those taught by the highborne. The highborne were recently re-accepted back into night elf society by Tyrande. They're generally looked down upon by other night elves. Some night elves, like Maiev, even outright kill them on sight.

Blood elf mages are the magisters. They operate out of Silvermoon. The Sunreavers were a group of blood elves that worked out of Dalaran, but Jaina kicked them out. The Sunreavers have since been integrated into the magisters under the command of Grand Magister Rommath.

Orc mages were trained by forsaken I believe. Not sure how they're viewed in orc society.

Draenei should have a mage school or organization somewhere, they just haven't been showcased yet in WoD. We do see the artificers who work heavily with arcane based technology, but artificers can be any class, not exclusive to mages.

Pandaren disapproved the night elves' use of arcane, so I'm not sure what the story is with panda mages.

I believe dwarves are just Kirin Tor mages.

Such details have not been revealed.

Stormwind has an "Academy of Arcane Arts and Sciences", which is presumably Stormwind's own mage organization.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Night elf mages are highborne or those taught by the highborne. The highborne were recently re-accepted back into night elf society by Tyrande. They're generally looked down upon by other night elves. Some night elves, like Maiev, even outright kill them on sight.

Blood elf mages are the magisters. They operate out of Silvermoon. The Sunreavers were a group of blood elves that worked out of Dalaran, but Jaina kicked them out. The Sunreavers have since been integrated into the magisters under the command of Grand Magister Rommath.

Orc mages were trained by forsaken I believe. Not sure how they're viewed in orc society.

Draenei should have a mage school or organization somewhere, they just haven't been showcased yet in WoD. We do see the artificers who work heavily with arcane based technology, but artificers can be any class, not exclusive to mages.

Pandaren disapproved the night elves' use of arcane, so I'm not sure what the story is with panda mages.

I believe dwarves are just Kirin Tor mages.
    Hmm, have any notable orc mages shown up in lore yet?

For Draenei mages I actually thought the same thing, as I've seen quite a few sargeri mages and neutral Draenei magi but never any specific group

For dwarves, I've seen a few around dalaran although not many.

Same for pandaren

What do you know about the rest of the races, trolls, forsaken, goblins, and worgen?

10+ Year Old Account
    I believe the Orc mages stem from the dragonmaw clan or whatever one they were joining the horde during the events of cataclysm.

Quote Originally Posted by Challenge View Post
    What do you know about the rest of the races, trolls, forsaken, goblins, and worgen?
    Forsaken mages likely do not have any real organization. Like the rest of the forsaken they are just another cog in Sylvanis's war machine.

The Darkspear, like most tribes trolls were mainly practitioners of shamanistic magic, eventually a few members began to practice arcane. Whether this was due to the guidance of there horde allies or that of the Zandalari trolls remains to be seen. Due to the fact that arcane magic is still new to their people there are likely too few members to form a true organization.

The goblins are simply out for themselves. Those that learned arcane likely did so to simply gain money and power. I doubt any of them would care to be a member of anything really.

With the way blizzard has been treating them lately when it comes to lore you might as well consider Worgans as humans. They can't even reproduce properly, if two Worgens have a baby it turns out human. As such Worgan mages were likely just absorbed into the human mage forces and organizations.

As far as lore for orc mages go, they were likely apart of the orc youth that garrosh had such a hold on. As such they went out to seek a new weapon to increase his power, the arcane.
    Last edited by Ilikegreenfire; 2015-02-16 at 09:31 PM.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Rarespawn2012 View Post
    I believe the Orc mages stem from the dragonmaw clan or whatever one they were joining the horde during the events of cataclysm.
    Nope - trained by Forsaken.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Challenge View Post
    Hmm, have any notable orc mages shown up in lore yet?

For Draenei mages I actually thought the same thing, as I've seen quite a few sargeri mages and neutral Draenei magi but never any specific group

For dwarves, I've seen a few around dalaran although not many.

Same for pandaren

The Pandaren - or rather the Shado-Pan - have an army of mages at their disposal, the something-something mystics, you help them in Townlong (Shado-Pan dailies). We've seen some orc mages, most famous would be Hagara in DS, who was a mage who for twisted by Al'akir (everyone assumes she's a shaman because of her looks, but read her dungeon entry: she's a mage) and all the Shadow-mages in the Kor'kron, such as Udega.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ilikegreenfire View Post
    Forsaken mages likely do not have any real organization. Like the rest of the forsaken they are just another cog in Sylvanis's war machine.

The Darkspear, like most tribes trolls were mainly practitioners of shamanistic magic, eventually a few members began to practice arcane. Whether this was due to the guidance of there horde allies or that of the Zandalari trolls remains to be seen. Due to the fact that arcane magic is still new to their people there are likely too few members to form a true organization.

The goblins are simply out for themselves. Those that learned arcane likely did so to simply gain money and power. I doubt any of them would care to be a member of anything really.

With the way blizzard has been treating them lately when it comes to lore you might as well consider Worgans as humans. They can't even reproduce properly, if two Worgens have a baby it turns out human. As such Worgan mages were likely just absorbed into the human mage forces and organizations.

As far as lore for orc mages go, they were likely apart of the orc youth that garrosh had such a hold on. As such they went out to seek a new weapon to increase his power, the arcane.
    The trolls were the first mortal race to practice the arcane arts, look at the Zandalari - they are/were powerful spellcasters. And no, the orc mages have little to do with Garrosh, who both feared and loathed magic. It was simply a matter of curious Orcs, going to Undercity - the end.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    The trolls were the first mortal race to practice the arcane arts, look at the Zandalari - they are/were powerful spellcasters.
    The elves learned it first (though they were technically immortal from the WoE). The trolls weren't able to learn it fast enough to counter the NElves' campaign of conquest.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    More importantly, the night elves learned the art of spellcasting, using the energies of the Well of Eternity. The night elves' magic quickly allowed them to establish a strong empire. As the night elves claimed further territory, they came into conflict with the trolls in the area, who had long dominated much of ancient Kalimdor. Unable to master arcane magic quickly enough to counter the night elves' sudden and fierce attacks, the trolls were forced to retreat. Thus was born the long-standing feud between night elves and trolls, an enmity which persists to this day. (WC Encyclopedia)

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    The elves learned it first (though they were technically immortal from the WoE). The trolls weren't able to learn it fast enough to counter the NElves' campaign of conquest.
    More importantly, the night elves learned the art of spellcasting, using the energies of the Well of Eternity. The night elves' magic quickly allowed them to establish a strong empire. As the night elves claimed further territory, they came into conflict with the trolls in the area, who had long dominated much of ancient Kalimdor. Unable to master arcane magic quickly enough to counter the night elves' sudden and fierce attacks, the trolls were forced to retreat. Thus was born the long-standing feud between night elves and trolls, an enmity which persists to this day. (WC Encyclopedia)
    Like I said; mortal races.

10+ Year Old Account
    Like I said; mortal races.
    Do the NElves really not count if they had just arisen? So soon that their immortality didn't really even kick in. They may have been technically immortal, but as a race they were basically newborns and the trolls had been around a lot longer.
    Last edited by Aquamonkey; 2015-02-16 at 11:06 PM.

Nope - trained by Forsaken.
    The trolls were the first mortal race to practice the arcane arts, look at the Zandalari - they are/were powerful spellcasters. And no, the orc mages have little to do with Garrosh, who both feared and loathed magic. It was simply a matter of curious Orcs, going to Undercity - the end.
    I know the Zandalari had mages, i even addressed this this. The thing is the Zandalari empire fell apart, with the lower casts going on to create their own tribes, These tribes, the tribes the dark spear are descended from seemed to have forgon the arcene in favor of focusing on things like Shaminsm and voodoo. Meaning the modern darkspear had either forgotten the use of arcane entirely or simply chose not to use it all that much.

Garrosh did not fear and hate all magic just that which was demonic. He was activity attempting to harness the Sha magic throughout most of Mop. In SOO we see Garrosh make heavy use of mages. There are some trash mobs that are shadow mages and even those who use the arcane.

I may have been connecting the dots a bit on why some orcs sought to be mages but it makes sense. Orc mages were made playable in Cata the time when Garrosh was rising in power and actively reshaping the orc identity. Under Thrall the orcs were noble savages in tune with the elements who were just trying desperately to carve out a home for themselves, and for the most part having a hard time of it. Garrosh made them in to conquerors who took what they needed to survive instead of asking, no longer bound to the old shamanic ways. This shift in mentality likely made quite a few young aspiring shaman rethink their choices. Why rely on the aid of the unstable elements. Why not seek out a new source of power one you could control, arcane.
    Last edited by Ilikegreenfire; 2015-02-16 at 11:57 PM.

Wow greenfire, I like that theory a lot!

The Pandaren - or rather the Shado-Pan - have an army of mages at their disposal, the something-something mystics, you help them in Townlong (Shado-Pan dailies). We've seen some orc mages, most famous would be Hagara in DS, who was a mage who for twisted by Al'akir (everyone assumes she's a shaman because of her looks, but read her dungeon entry: she's a mage) and all the Shadow-mages in the Kor'kron, such as Udega.
    Omnia Mystics. Seems to be a sub-discipline of the Shado-Pan (like the Wukao and Blackguard - incidentally this seems to be the classic fighter/mage/thief archetype).

Hagara never made a lick of sense IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Omnia Mystics. Seems to be a sub-discipline of the Shado-Pan (like the Wukao and Blackguard - incidentally this seems to be the classic fighter/mage/thief archetype).

Hagara never made a lick of sense IMO.
    Possibly not, but she's still the most famous Orc Mage - simply because of the fact that a lot of people killed her *shrug*.

The dwarf mages were taught by the Dark Irons that Moira brought, along with warlocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Do the NElves really not count if they had just arisen? So soon that their immortality didn't really even kick in. They may have been technically immortal, but as a race they were basically newborns and the trolls had been around a lot longer.
    Weren't nelves only immortal post war of the ancients when nozdormu blessed their tree?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Malzra View Post
    Weren't nelves only immortal post war of the ancients when nozdormu blessed their tree?
    The Well of Eternity made the NElves immortal. They lost this when the Well imploded. It was restored by Nozdormu when he blessed the tree on top of the 2nd Well.
    Over time, the Well's cosmic power affected the tribe, making them strong, wise, and immortal. (WC Encyclopedia)
    Last edited by Aquamonkey; 2015-02-23 at 07:46 PM.