Some practical advice is needed

Hi all,

am trying the rogue. Never liked this class and it was the only one that I never managed to even reach 90 with. Anyway, I decided to give a more serious shot. So, I crafted myself two maces and 1xupgraded both(2/3 now) and started my journey to 100. I have some practical questions, since the rotation etc are covered in various posts.

1. So... Since I invested already on maces, I am truly f*cked regarding gearing if I want to check Sub, right?

2. Say that I find a way to deal with #1, I read that Sub relies (among others) to HaT. That makes dummies troublesome. How can I learn Sub since leveling makes backstab a bit lame (do not want to spend my time KSing just to go around to backstab) and in dungeons at these levels (am at 95 now) mobs die like mofos, and that means things like rupture will probably get wasted.

3. Back to #1, how do you deal with the fact that you have to actually loot 3 weapons (assuming dagger/slow as sub) to play the 2 best specs atm? What do you go first for?

I feel combat is more practical in a sense that I dislike specs that do well single target only (like arcane on mages) apart from demo which is tremendous spec (my main is lock). I could understand changing talents to adapt but having to change spec (which is fair, ok) AND change weapon, is huge.
    Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayaleith View Post
    Hi all,

am trying the rogue. Never liked this class and it was the only one that I never managed to even reach 90 with. Anyway, I decided to give a more serious shot. So, I crafted myself two maces and 1xupgraded both(2/3 now) and started my journey to 100. I have some practical questions, since the rotation etc are covered in various posts.

1. So... Since I invested already on maces, I am truly f*cked regarding gearing if I want to check Sub, right?

2. Say that I find a way to deal with #1, I read that Sub relies (among others) to HaT. That makes dummies troublesome. How can I learn Sub since leveling makes backstab a bit lame (do not want to spend my time KSing just to go around to backstab) and in dungeons at these levels (am at 95 now) mobs die like mofos, and that means things like rupture will probably get wasted.

3. Back to #1, how do you deal with the fact that you have to actually loot 3 weapons (assuming dagger/slow as sub) to play the 2 best specs atm? What do you go first for?

I feel combat is more practical in a sense that I dislike specs that do well single target only (like arcane on mages) apart from demo which is tremendous spec (my main is lock). I could understand changing talents to adapt but having to change spec (which is fair, ok) AND change weapon, is huge.
    1: Yes, Sublety needs daggers.
    2:No, HaT now goes off any crits (white included, with an internal CD). You aren't totally screwed when on a dummy, but there may still be gaps.
    3:Good luck is all I can say. I can't believe this issue hasn't been fixed like it has been for Frost DKs and Fury Warriors.

Rogue as a class is divisive. Combat is great cleave, Sub is good mass-AoE and good single-target, Assassin is good extended AoE.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Instructor Soki View Post
    1: Yes, Sublety needs daggers.
    Subtlety needs 1 dagger in main hand

Combat is great cleave
    That we can all agree with.

Sub is good mass-AoE and good single-target
    Not entirely. Subtlety is the best single target option, but for any form of relevant AOE you go combat. Subtlety is substantially worse.

Assassin is good extended AoE.
    If by extended AOE you mean 2 targets with large healthpools (Hans&Franz, Twin Ogron), then yes. Otherwise is Assassination the worst spec out of the 3 for any situation imaginable.

7+ Year Old Account
    Welcome to Rogue. I hope you enjoy your stay. Once you have the rotation down it really is a fun class, I promise you.

The other option is stay combat. For both Single target and AoE. You just wont be optimal

Quote Originally Posted by Thra View Post
    Welcome to Rogue. I hope you enjoy your stay. Once you have the rotation down it really is a fun class, I promise you.

The other option is stay combat. For both Single target and AoE. You just wont be optimal
    Thank you. No, I do not want to be combat just because it is convenient! I have spent already 7 levels in combat (97 atm) and my muscle memory is already there. Trying to drag some fight as well to play with insight etc. Have great fun with mouseover shadowsteps and blinds etc. But I want to start practicing sub as well but I feel leveling is not the proper playground for this. At least for sub.
    Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorefel View Post
    Subtlety needs 1 dagger in main hand

That we can all agree with.

Not entirely. Subtlety is the best single target option, but for any form of relevant AOE you go combat. Subtlety is substantially worse.

If by extended AOE you mean 2 targets with large healthpools (Hans&Franz, Twin Ogron), then yes. Otherwise is Assassination the worst spec out of the 3 for any situation imaginable.
    Assassin is still strong when a mass amount of adds lives for 12+seconds(uncapped AoE), with good 2-3 target damage.
    It's ideal for some situations in CMs.
    You're generally right though. Typically if you're AoEing a lot, Combat.