Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    This question was gone over in every single "do you tip" thread. It's not a new twist.
    So? There's clearly still enough interest for all of these people to reply. Glad you could contribute constructively.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    First, you had to have someone who wasn't at the front dealing with customers stop to take the order on the phone
    Don't most places have a host/hostess for this? I could see this being a problem if your greeter was being forced to not be at the front doing chores that could be done by busboys or other kitchen staff. Sounds like a staffing, and therefore management issue.

Orders would back up, and it would begin to upset the dining room if you had enough of these at once.
    Why? Was takeout prioritized before in-house orders? I would imagine you'd just tell the phone customer "hey you're number X in line and it'll take Y time to get your order ready." Add 15 minutes for extra prep time. This sounds like a mismanagement issue.

Then, when the food came out, there was additional prep-work that would have to be done to bag it up and make it ready, and additional checking to ensure everything was properly in there, since if you miss something, it's not a quick run back to the kitchen to grab it.
    You mean you don't check to ensure everything someone ordered is all there when they're eating-in? Why is it not a quick run back? Did the front of the store suddenly get farther away from the kitchen?

Once bagged, those bags had to take up valuable counter space until the customer arrived.
    Valuable counter-space being used for what exactly? Couldn't you simply maintain some space in the kitchen/at the front for storing take-out until it is picked up? Again, this sounds like a management issue.

Finally, once the customer arrived, you again had to take someone away from their normal job to stop and take the togo orderer's money.
    I didn't realize that checking someone out at the front was taking them away from their job, pretty sure taking my money is part of someone's job at the establishment. AGAIN isn't this what the host/hostess should be doing? Seriously who is staffing and managing your establishment?

If there were 3 people at once wanting to pay for their order and 2 phone calls asking for new orders, it could severely hamper the efficiency of getting the food out to the customers.
    If there are 5 people in line then there are 5 people in line. It doesn't matter if they're on the phone or in person. You could always prioritize the people there in person, in which case there are still five people in line. If you can't manage 5 customers, you probably shouldn't be running an eating establishment.

It was just another thing to have to manage that extra to the general system of the establishment. Could we handle it? Yes. But it was extra work.
    Doing anything more than the bare minimum is always extra work. Getting dressed in the morning is extra work. If you don't want to handle to-go orders, or your system cannot handle them then don't do them.
    Last edited by Sunseeker; 2015-02-17 at 03:47 AM.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Deleted
    Why would i tip anyone in this situation? Only tip if the service is good and in this case where you yourself have to pick it up there was none

No. I only tip when I 'dine in' and though I tip I wish the US would just get rid of the tip culture.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Don't most places have a host/hostess for this? I could see this being a problem if your greeter was being forced to not be at the front doing chores that could be done by busboys or other kitchen staff. Sounds like a staffing, and therefore management issue.

Why? Was takeout prioritized before in-house orders? I would imagine you'd just tell the phone customer "hey you're number X in line and it'll take Y time to get your order ready." Add 15 minutes for extra prep time. This sounds like a mismanagement issue.

You mean you don't check to ensure everything someone ordered is all there when they're eating-in? Why is it not a quick run back? Did the front of the store suddenly get farther away from the kitchen?

Valuable counter-space being used for what exactly? Couldn't you simply maintain some space in the kitchen/at the front for storing take-out until it is picked up? Again, this sounds like a management issue.

I didn't realize that checking someone out at the front was taking them away from their job. AGAIN isn't this what the host/hostess should be doing? Seriously who is staffing and managing your establishment?

If there are 5 people in line then there are 5 people in line. It doesn't matter if they're on the phone or in person. You could always prioritize the people there in person, in which case there are still five people in line. If you can't manage 5 customers, you probably shouldn't be running an eating establishment.

Doing anything more than the bare minimum is always extra work. Getting dressed in the morning is extra work. If you don't want to handle to-go orders, or your system cannot handle them then don't do them.
    I'm really not in the mood to go through your comments one by one, but NONE of what you said makes any sense based on the way our restaurant was set up. My comment on it being harder was simply meant to give some perspective. It WAS extra work. This isn't open to interpretation, as you weren't there, and I was. I am perfectly capable of determining the level of extra work involved, and phone orders did indeed make things more difficult. I make no claims that this is the same in every restaurant, but it was absolutely the case in mine.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Zahgaan View Post
    Hello everyone,

I'm kinda stuck on this question, I generally tip if a service was involved such as dinning in or getting food delivered. But I'm wondering about what if I order to pick up food, do you think its worth tipping? Tips usually go to the waitress or delivery drivers, which non are involved when I pick up food, I mean they handle payments?

What do you guys think?
    No, but we don't tip in aus :P

No extra service, means no tip.

Sometimes they have a tip jar and I'll throw a dollar or two in there.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

No, but mainly the server that brought it out is not even the one that took my order in the first place. Also, the restaurant that I do order and pickup my food from, generally the cooks are the ones actually putting my order in the containers and bagging it themselves. The only process they do not handle is the register. Now, if I know for a fact that the tip is going to the guys cooking/prepping my food. I will drop a tip, cash only, according to how many are in the back doing most of the work.

I worked as a cook for a few years. I enjoyed many aspects of that job, not the pull out your hair nights though. So I respect who prepares my food, in the terms of a sit down restaurant.

Also, tip jars....just no.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I'm really not in the mood to go through your comments one by one, but NONE of what you said makes any sense based on the way our restaurant was set up. My comment on it being harder was simply meant to give some perspective. It WAS extra work. This isn't open to interpretation, as you weren't there, and I was. I am perfectly capable of determining the level of extra work involved, and phone orders did indeed make things more difficult. I make no claims that this is the same in every restaurant, but it was absolutely the case in mine.
    Literally every point in your original post was trivial bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Farahawnee View Post
    Not having an authenticator on your account is like not locking your windows because your front door is locked, and then wondering how a burglar got in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope. Why the hell would I tip someone for doing their job?

Quote Originally Posted by Uggorthaholy View Post
    Thanks but no thanks, Lora, for making me question everything in existence forever.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't tip at all :3 rawr be angry. I only go out to eat with others and rarely frequent the same place twice in several months time, so good luck remembering me to fuck with my food or even still be working at that establishment since restaurant staff has high turnover rates.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

I tip 20% when I pick up food. Mostly because I know most people do not tip on carryout orders, and at many restaurants the waitstaff is the one prepping the food for carryout (grabbing utensils, condiments, soup and salads, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Zahgaan View Post
    Hello everyone,

I'm kinda stuck on this question, I generally tip if a service was involved such as dinning in or getting food delivered. But I'm wondering about what if I order to pick up food, do you think its worth tipping? Tips usually go to the waitress or delivery drivers, which non are involved when I pick up food, I mean they handle payments?

What do you guys think?
    No I don't tip on pick up.

However I always tip on deliveries because usually delivery personnel is under payed.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    If it's the first time visiting a place? Sometimes, so I don't look like an asshole.

If I regularly get pickup there? Yes, because I'm doing so as a compliment to their food.

If I get there once in a while or am visiting a place I don't give two damns about? No.
    If it's the first time, and they suck i just won't go back, They should provide good services and food to keep me wanting to come back not do a good job so they get payed extra for what they already should be doing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lora View Post
    Nope. Why the hell would I tip someone for doing their job?
    I also never understood this. Tipping someone because the service was good? Absolutely. Tipping someone because i have to? No chance

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfoot1291 View Post
    Literally every point in your original post was trivial bullshit.
    OK. I don't know why you and smrund care so much, but if you want to believe it was trivial bullshit you're welcome to believe that. In the meantime, I will KNOW what it was, having actually been there and experienced it. It was hardly the end of the world, but the phone orders were extra work. Easily in the realm of 2-3 times as much time to prepare than an in-house order.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    Do you tip the guy who bags your groceries? Or the cashier? Or your garbage man? They all provide similar services, but nobody tips them. I don't even think you CAN.

Granted, I can't remember the last time I "picked up". I always get delivery as far as that goes, and I do tip the driver.
    Having been both a bag boy and a cashier, you would be surprised how many times people try to tip you. It's mostly older people who try to tip me, so maybe that used to be pretty common when they were younger.

Deleted
    No, because I don't live in 'murica

No, I go out and pick food up specifically to avoid tipping and paying a delivery fee. I'll tip them when they reimburse me for the gas I used to drive there.