Dealing with out of sync runes as unholy

I occasionally find myself in situations where my blood and frost runes are recharging around 3 seconds apart from each other. Is this a common occurrence or should I always be keeping my blood and frost runes in sync with each other within 1 GCD?

It's very common, if you don't use RC. It can be annoying but doesn't hurt your performance. Unless you messed up and used Icy Touch outside of AE by accident, I guess.

10+ Year Old Account
    every now and then i come across havind 2 death, 2 frost and 2 unholy in various states of recharge and if i have a spare gcd before that corrects itself ill burn a frost rune with icy touch just to keep everything moving along
    3ds fc 0576 4895 9192
    ice safari with snorunt sneasel and lapras

pm me if you add me!

Deleted
    If you're playing necroblight and waiting for UB to get off cooldown just fester to resync

Quote Originally Posted by draganid View Post
    every now and then i come across havind 2 death, 2 frost and 2 unholy in various states of recharge and if i have a spare gcd before that corrects itself ill burn a frost rune with icy touch just to keep everything moving along
    That is a DPS loss, unless your frost runes will actually cap before you get a blood rune to pair with it.

It's very common, and will happen even more once you get (if you get) the four set bonus. Throws a fork in Death rune sets, it can be gamed to pop on an Unholy instead but usually there's not much time to game it like that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    That is a DPS loss, unless your frost runes will actually cap before you get a blood rune to pair with it.
    thats what i meant. doesnt happen often that both frost are up but when it does and blood runes are death i will icy touch
    3ds fc 0576 4895 9192
    ice safari with snorunt sneasel and lapras

pm me if you add me!

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    It doesn't matter as long as you don't have 2 of the same type off cooldown. At that point I usually IT or BB to not lose dps even more dps

Think of it like this. In reality you have one of each rune, becoming usable at 1/2 and 1 charges. SS costs 1/2 unholy and FeS costs 1/2 Blood and 1/2 frost. SSx2>FeSx2 would complete one full rune cycle. When using FeS and SS to convert runes, your B and F runes will turn to death_frost or death_blood for one cycle (SSx6) an then back to B and F runes. If you end up with DdFfUu, you have either blood tapped your frost rune twice whilst ignoring your B or blood_death rune, or you have blood boiled your diseases to something without using blood tap to realign. If you have d_f_u_ charging, you can manipulate blood tap to help your blood rune "catch up". Wait until you have D_F_U and SS twice, giving you d_F_u. Blood tap once and SS (or plague leech>PS>SS). You can BT>SS one more time if you think you really fucked up and might get DdFfUu.

If youre using RC, your runes wont run out of sync during single target, but if you have to transition between ST and AOE, or have to spread your diseases, you will have to waste a death rune on FeS to realign.

If one rune is lagging slightly behind another, you have capped one of your runes at some point during the fight. The best thing you can do for your dps is to avoid capping on resources, because you will inevitably pay for it later on in the fight. The balance between RP generation and expenditure is a fragile one.

Dont think of BT and RE as generating new death runes. Think of them as using up half a charge of your death_blood or death_frost rune, thus speeding up the rune generation cycle. If you BT half of a death_blood rune, youre essentially gaining a net total of 1/2 blood rune and a free SS by the end of the fight. If you blood tab a frost rune twice without blood tapping a blood rune once, you would have used a full charge of that death_blood rune, thus giving you DDFFUU down the road.

It simplifies things a bit if you wait until you have 10+ charges of BT and your B and F (or DF and DB runes) are empty. If you have <10 charges and plague leech cap cap any of your resources, you want to prioritize that plague leech.
    Last edited by Azulonyx; 2015-02-18 at 07:55 PM.

Death Siphon prioritizes frost death runes over blood death runes so using that can get a frost rune on cd faster. Not always useful but when you have all death runes off cd using scourge strike then death siphon will get your runes better in sync then having to use scourge strike 3 times to get a frost on cd. It's likely a dps loss but if you care more about keeping your runes in sync it may be a good choice for you.