[Feral] Swipe AOE. When is it even worth using?

I've read that Swipe needs 175% damage increase before it's worth using over Shred. Is this true? When is it ever viable to use Swipe? I can understand Thrash on 2-3+ targets, maintaining that and Rake, but Swipe seems like a waste.

I think the 175% swipe is referencing single target swipe overtaking shred. 3-4 target+ you'll want to swipe over shred while maintaining rake on all them.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cat View Post
    I think the 175% swipe is referencing single target swipe overtaking shred. 3-4 target+ you'll want to swipe over shred while maintaining rake on all them.
    you need 9+ targets for swipe to be worth using over tab raking.

Quote Originally Posted by fenrirx View Post
    you need 9+ targets for swipe to be worth using over tab raking.
    Yes, but on 3-4 target you can easily keep rake on all them. You swipe instead of shred in when you aren't raking.

I'm not saying to use it over rake, i'm saying to use it over shred.
    Last edited by The Cat; 2015-02-19 at 04:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cat View Post
    Yes, but on 3-4 target you can easily keep rake on all them. You swipe instead of shred in when you aren't raking.

I'm not saying to use it over rake, i'm saying to use it over shred.
    Right, just keep in mind that you scarcely have time or energy to use Swipe on 3-4 targets outside of Berserk, and if you're in Berserk you'd have Incarnation up which means you'd be using Shred, not Swipe.

Its also not uncommon that you don't actually care about damaging anything but one of those targets which makes Swiping out of the question.

Druid / Demon Hunter SimulationCraft Maintainer

So when is it ever worth Swiping? Shouldn't I just thrash, rake and shred then thrash again?

I don't know what you're asking, Cat just explained it.

Druid / Demon Hunter SimulationCraft Maintainer

Is it worthwhile only using thrash on clearcast procs for AoE? Or would you benefit more of a free rake?

Quote Originally Posted by Neglesh View Post
    Is it worthwhile only using thrash on clearcast procs for AoE? Or would you benefit more of a free rake?
    You'll want to thrash when there are 2+ targets, more so if a Blood Talons proc is up.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by oresika View Post
    So when is it ever worth Swiping? Shouldn't I just thrash, rake and shred then thrash again?
    If there are 3-4 targets just replace your shred cast with swipe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, the only time where you will be swiping is on trash, it's not relevant in boss encounters in its current state. So, yes replace shred with swipe at 3+ targets, while maintaining rake and thrash, but in a boss encounter, it wouldn't be smart to do that since you would have a much smaller effective damage per energy overall.