Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sternkanz View Post
    My point is that if I took 580k damage, after 48% physical damage mitigation, the initial hit was just over 1.1 million damage. That means I would've had to have 5 stacks of the debuff (which I didn't, maximum 2).

So now back to my initial question - how exactly does it work? I have seen somebody write that the current tank stays in and the OT runs out. I've also watched a video on Youtube where both tanks just stay in and don't move at all (and take a heavy hit but nothing close to what I took).

If anybody knows, actually KNOWS, how it works, I think a simple strategy for dealing with it every time could be created. But at the moment there is just no agreement.
    Wouldn't surprise me if it disregarded armour. Lots of boss physical special abilities do.

It works like this...

He picks a target at the start of the cast and slams on that location, the damage originates from that location and decays with distance, if tanks die he will cast this on whoever is top on threat, if that happens to be a ranged target anything around that ranged target dies.

http://ptr.wowhead.com/spell=156704/slam
    Value: 780000 - Heroic (usually varies by -+5%)

Your DR vs a lvl 103 mob if your char sheet reads 48% is actually closer to 39%. Armor / (Armor+5234) . You also need to take into consideration passive bonuses like defensive stance, sotr etc and versatility, then multiply by number of stacks 1.2 for 1 stack and you'll get the damage dealt by slam. Once you have that you'd have to figure out exactly how the damage decays based on distance, but its safe to say that moving around 10 yards or so drops the damage by at least 30-40% from my personal experience.

Deleted
    People are pugging Kromog already? :O

The difference between being right there and being like, 10-15 yards away is astronomical. I barely take anything if I move out and if I just decide to be lazy or asleep at the wheel it's a huge chunk. and both tanks run out, you have a long grace period to get back in before he starts breathing.

Quote Originally Posted by theyanger View Post
    The difference between being right there and being like, 10-15 yards away is astronomical. I barely take anything if I move out and if I just decide to be lazy or asleep at the wheel it's a huge chunk. and both tanks run out, you have a long grace period to get back in before he starts breathing.
    But this is exactly the issue, even if I am running out I am taking very large hits, in one case the 580k which 1-shot me. Tonight I have a normal guild run, might see if I can test it a bit there as I shouldn't die on normal.

Deleted
    i'm a guardian druid and when me and my fellow monk tank do kromog hc BOTH tanks run out and we never had a problem with slam hits. we had problems when the OT tank stayed at the boss but none at all when both moved out.

Did this change in 6.1?

I am still getting conflicting reports.

My experience tells me that both tanks need to run out, that Slam hit the ground where the tank used to be standing when the cast began, so both tanks ahve time to run away.

But I have had numerous events where tanks and raid leaders argue with me and we are not successful.

I have not seen anywhere a definitive answer.

They did change the tooltip, but it is still obtuse enough that people can exclaim whatever.

I am not interested in proving I am correct.

I am interested in knowing what is correct and ceding to either strategy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dejablue View Post
    Did this change in 6.1?

I am still getting conflicting reports.

My experience tells me that both tanks need to run out, that Slam hit the ground where the tank used to be standing when the cast began, so both tanks ahve time to run away.
    At this point I'm 100% sure this is how it works, after having time to tank the fight repeatedly on heroic. I've tried having both tanks move together, having both tanks move opposite directions, and having only one tank move. When both tanks move, regardless of which direction they each move in, both tanks take reduced damage. If you have the current MT stay in and the current OT move out, the OT takes reduced damage and MT takes it in full. If you have the MT move out and the OT stay in, the MT is the one who takes reduced damage, even though he is the one with the current threat (and thus the primary target as described in the tooltip).

The origin point for Slam is picked based on the location of the current tank when he begins casting, not when he finishes casting, just as was said earlier in the topic. Easiest way to test it is to have the person who currently has aggro move out when Slam starts casting and the person who doesn't have aggro stay in. You'll see the OT is the one who gets full damage even though he's not the one with aggro.

I think the reason for the confusion is because depending on stacks of Warped Armor, the OT can sometimes take more damage than the MT - Warped Armor still increases the damage you take from Slam even if you're not the current tank but are waiting for stacks to drop off. I think people forget that and it's what causes the mix-up.

seem to be in a similiar situation in our guild

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...view=execution

the tanks just cant seem to survive the slams (or damage folowing up slams) to a point of one shots even with cooldowns up. ideas?

play a monk and guard each slam.

Quote Originally Posted by Elamahpla View Post
    play a monk and guard each slam.
    Or just roll out and back in and not take unnecessary damage.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sagajin View Post
    seem to be in a similiar situation in our guild

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...view=execution

the tanks just cant seem to survive the slams (or damage folowing up slams) to a point of one shots even with cooldowns up. ideas?
    Your tanks have to move out from slam, standing in it with 2-3 stacks of the debuff will hurt.

But on the other side:
    Your healers have to learn to play. They ignore the tanks on one of the hardest hitting boss!
    On wipe 2, they even ignored the DK, after he was saved with purgatory. And he received only healing from the Hpaladins Beacon the entire time. Lol.

I mean, the tanks did mess up sometimes with slam, but 3/4 of their deaths was due to insufficient healing. If they don't get lucky and get hit by both the melee and with Fist of stone, that will knock almost half of their health down. This is unhealable by HoTs + Beacon. Since you have no disc, the holy paladin will have to heal them, or the tanks will keep dying. And there is nothing they can do against it.

If the tanks are being one-shooted for 90%+ to 0, then that is their fault.
    If they die slowly in 6-10s, then that is the healers fault.