Deleted

Balance DPS problems - want to excel but keep declining (logs)

Hi, long time reader, first time poster, so hope I'm not posting something in the wrong manor. Respect these forums alot

I have finally returned to my original - druid - and lately Balance. I just love it and cause and want to become really good at it. When playing a DPS class, of course good equals a lot to the DPS output you can produce and atm I feel anything but good.

I have spent time in dummy, tried all setups I can think of in raids, tweaked rotations, but I just cant seem to get higher DPS. I'm therefor hoping for some valuable input from this forum.

I know I have to much Haste and not enough Mastery, it's an effect of the current gear switch and just had much high iLvl gear with secondary stats replacing lower iLvl with primary stats (gained Haste, lost Mastery).

What would be an acceptable DPS aim be for the gear I currently have when running 10-12 man BRF Normal raids (we sometimes lack 1 or 2 buffs, usually MS)?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Log for yesterdays raid
    "askmrrobot.com/wow/combatlog/b1009546-7d30-4fc3-0611-2fad72133755/report/9#v=0,d=0"
    Log for mondays raid
    "askmrrobot.com/wow/combatlog/815206ac-ef73-4fef-9d0a-7b0ac8a861a3/report/48#v=0,d=0"

Armory: "eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/magtheridon/Girawenir/simple"

Typical first 10-15 sec spell sequence
    -3sec prepot
    -2.5sec Inc
    +0.5 CA + trinket (Copeland's)
    Moonfire to apply dots
    Starsurge
    2x Starfire
    Starsurge
    2xStarfire

Starsurge
    2xStarfire
    Moonfire
    or (depending on Starsurge procs)
    Starfire
    Starfire
    Moonfire

Starsurge or Wrath
    3x Wrath
    Sunfire

Deleted
    Though I'm not used to the AskmrRobot logs, you seem to be doing pretty well. As you can see, they even say you're in the 85th percentile for your Item Level, which means you're doing better then 85% of the people on that fight.

I've mainly been looking at Gruul for single target DPS

The only thing I see there is you're using way more starsurges than you're getting Empowerements (Total of 24, where you casted 38 starsurges). Since the amount is this low I'm just assuming it doesn't count the stacks, but just the amount of times you got the buff. You should try to not overlap your empowerments this much, usually by keeping a low amount of stacks, so you don't feel forced to use them as soon as you get a proc. It looks like you let Sunfire drop off a few times, the uptime is a bit on the low side, you should be getting 95 + relatively easy.

For the AoE/Cleave I checked Beastlord Darmac
    I think the uptime % are a bit buggy here, as getting a 10% uptime would be really low. Though it does look like you let it drop off some times. You should also be ready to Sunfire the adds when they come out, it looks like you do it sometimes, but the amount of ticks can go way up. You seem to be focussing on single target a bit more then AoE, as your Starfall casts are on the low side. You can use it a lot more, as it's usefull during most of the fight.

There are probably some other people who have used AskMrRobot logs more before, that might be able to give you better tips. I'm having a hard time finding all the information.

You just StarSurge if you cap out now on single target, no starfallerino. And try to bank SS for lunar, especially in a fight where you'll be starfalling a lot.

I see a couple problems out of the gate. Your opener should contain another moonfire after/around your 4th Starfire to re-apply bot dots before CA runs out, (Around 5th with hero popped at the start). Can you detail to me how exactly you are using starsurge (SS)? My theory for SS and the majority of peoples theory is that ideally you want to cast starsurge in lunar and consume the 2 stacks of empowerment prior to casting another. Generally or me (with Euphoria) I SS basically right as I enter lunar and as I am leaving Lunar (in that time window where another starfire will land in solar). Clean up those things and it should push you into 90% percentile.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Buhar View Post
    Though I'm not used to the AskmrRobot logs, you seem to be doing pretty well. As you can see, they even say you're in the 85th percentile for your Item Level, which means you're doing better then 85% of the people on that fight.

I've mainly been looking at Gruul for single target DPS

The only thing I see there is you're using way more starsurges than you're getting Empowerements (Total of 24, where you casted 38 starsurges). Since the amount is this low I'm just assuming it doesn't count the stacks, but just the amount of times you got the buff. You should try to not overlap your empowerments this much, usually by keeping a low amount of stacks, so you don't feel forced to use them as soon as you get a proc. It looks like you let Sunfire drop off a few times, the uptime is a bit on the low side, you should be getting 95 + relatively easy.

For the AoE/Cleave I checked Beastlord Darmac
    I think the uptime % are a bit buggy here, as getting a 10% uptime would be really low. Though it does look like you let it drop off some times. You should also be ready to Sunfire the adds when they come out, it looks like you do it sometimes, but the amount of ticks can go way up. You seem to be focussing on single target a bit more then AoE, as your Starfall casts are on the low side. You can use it a lot more, as it's usefull during most of the fight.

There are probably some other people who have used AskMrRobot logs more before, that might be able to give you better tips. I'm having a hard time finding all the information.
    Ty for this. The Starfall advice on Beastlord Darmac (and most other fights) is something I should look into. Could you simplify and state that in a fight with 3+ mobs I should use my procs for Starfall rather then empowerment? As a rule of thumb and only use excessive stacks for empowerment casts? Or is it still higher priority to keep Empowerment and use excesive procs for Starfall?

Dots I know is a problem of mine. Follow up question on that. Lets say a fight like the maiden. Should I moonfire all 3 bosses before I start casting or is it when filling with a dot? Basicly, dot up first, then cast, or cast first and dot in between? l feel like a noob asking that question, but might aswell get it answered

Quote Originally Posted by Tron21 View Post
    I see a couple problems out of the gate. Your opener should contain another moonfire after/around your 4th Starfire to re-apply bot dots before CA runs out, (Around 5th with hero popped at the start). Can you detail to me how exactly you are using starsurge (SS)? My theory for SS and the majority of peoples theory is that ideally you want to cast starsurge in lunar and consume the 2 stacks of empowerment prior to casting another. Generally or me (with Euphoria) I SS basically right as I enter lunar and as I am leaving Lunar (in that time window where another starfire will land in solar). Clean up those things and it should push you into 90% percentile.
    Ok, will put moonfire into rotation quicker to catch a refresh before CA runs out, thx m8

I think the easiest way to answer the SS question is to say, when I have a proc up.
    As a typical senario (without CA, Inc etc) I cast SS when entering Lunar, Cast 2xStarfire, apply moonfire, cast SS, cast 2xStarfire (last lands in Solar) I cast last SS, 3xWrath, Sunfire, 2xWrath, Starfire (that lands well into Lunar)
    Sometimes if I have time to fit 2xSS and 4xSF and still is in Lunar, I cast last SS still in Lunar

While writing my answer, I feel that I prob have this answered allready above.
    Should I never use SS for Solar cycle unless a risk of getting 3 procs and better of using a SS in Solar not to loose an SS proc?
    I'm currently allways spending SS in Solar to cast Wrath in Solar Empowerment
    Hope my answers made it more clear what I do.
    Last edited by mmoc1792794aeb; 2015-02-19 at 08:57 PM. Reason: quote nesting error

Quote Originally Posted by Macaper View Post

Ok, will put moonfire into rotation quicker to catch a refresh before CA runs out, thx m8

I think the easiest way to answer the SS question is to say, when I have a proc up.
    As a typical senario (without CA, Inc etc) I cast SS when entering Lunar, Cast 2xStarfire, apply moonfire, cast SS, cast 2xStarfire (last lands in Solar) I cast last SS, 3xWrath, Sunfire, 2xWrath, Starfire (that lands well into Lunar)
    Sometimes if I have time to fit 2xSS and 4xSF and still is in Lunar, I cast last SS still in Lunar

Hope my answers made it more clear what I do.
    I personally rarely cast a starfire that will land in solar, in the case where you cast a SS get off a starfire, and be <40 or so lunar, I just cast wrath so that I land in solar with a wrath, since the timing matters when you finish the cast and not when you start. Are you applying moonfire and sunfire at every peak or just when needed for DoT uptime

- - - Updated - - -

I should clarify a little bit on my one point. The reason I try to avoid casting a starfire that will land in solar is for a few reasons. It's not a big dps loss becuase you will near 0 eclipse and therefor the dmg increase will be minimal on the wrath but you must take into account 2 big points. We all stack mastery, mastery increases the effect of our eclipse %dmg increase, in solar that % damage increase is all solar and therefor you land a starfire that has no increased dmg. Now if this same starfire uses up an empowerment proc, then you are getting that %dmg increase but that means you are losing even more dmg by not being in the correct phase. This being said I just wrath and wrath away, only using SS if I cap at 3 and there's no additional enemies to benefit from using starfall, refresh Sunfire at peak ONLY IF Duration is below 12ish seconds, then start starfall at around 60ish solar energy, therefor it will land in lunar, benefit from mastery %dmg and that left over empowerment %dmg, then cast a starsurge for 2 more fresh procs heading into my peak so my big dick starfires are both empowered, refresh moonfire if its at 12 seconds or less, then hit a starsurge on the way out potentially, then carry into wraths and then land a starfire coming back into lunar, which is empowered.... and so on and so forth. It's never the same exact rotation, movement and procs make things get in all weird spots, just know your priorities, and hammer the dummy a ton to get yourself in as many decision making situations as possible and know when you make mistakes so you can fix them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tron21 View Post
    I personally rarely cast a starfire that will land in solar, in the case where you cast a SS get off a starfire, and be <40 or so lunar, I just cast wrath so that I land in solar with a wrath, since the timing matters when you finish the cast and not when you start. Are you applying moonfire and sunfire at every peak or just when needed for DoT uptime
    I try to time it so that the spell I start land in proper cycle, but did read in some guide that it give more output to land a Starfire <20 Solar than a wrath, maby that was wrong?

I'm refreshing dots when needed, thats also why I sometimes miss have them at all

What about using SS in Solar or should I save all SS for Lunar? (except the obvious situation of having 3 stacks)

---- updated on update -----
    I posted before your update, see your point now and it becomes much more clear.
    Always avoid landing a spell in the wrong eclipse, dont waste SS for Solar and refresh dots at the right time
    Last edited by mmoc1792794aeb; 2015-02-19 at 09:18 PM.

Deleted
    Ty for this. The Starfall advice on Beastlord Darmac (and most other fights) is something I should look into. Could you simplify and state that in a fight with 3+ mobs I should use my procs for Starfall rather then empowerment? As a rule of thumb and only use excessive stacks for empowerment casts? Or is it still higher priority to keep Empowerment and use excesive procs for Starfall?
    Basicly, yes. However you should still try to get the most out of your eclipse bonus. In most situations you shouldn't just chain-spam it, as you'll run out of stacks way too fast. Using them as you're entering your Lunar eclispe (assuming you're using Euphoria) should be close to max value. You should only cast SS in case you get multiple procs and feel like you won't be able to keep up using just starfall ,popping a starfall in Solar so you don't cap is still better then using a Starsurge though.

Dots I know is a problem of mine. Follow up question on that. Lets say a fight like the maiden. Should I moonfire all 3 bosses before I start casting or is it when filling with a dot? Basicly, dot up first, then cast, or cast first and dot in between? l feel like a noob asking that question, but might aswell get it answered
    Assuming you're talking about your opener, you want to make sure you generate stacks asap, which means you should cast a Starfall before you DoT everything up. I prefer using a Starfall into DoT's into a Starsurge to make sure I don't cap. Even though I don't use the full value of one of my stacks, I'm sure I won't cap.

You should try to maximize the mastery bonus you gain from your empowerments, I get the best results by finishing one Starfire (which I started during the end of Solar), into a Starsurge and use my empowerments there. I believe using them on your solar peak is still better then using them on a weak point in your lunar eclipse. If you feel like you're capping out, it usually helps to cast your Starsurge as you're leaving, so you don't use them on your "bad" spells. This way you can start with your stronger spells earlier, which means you'll use the gcd you spent on starsurge during a weaker part of your eclipse, therefore giving you a tiny bit more damage. As soon as you get the 2 set bonus, this will be even easier with the set bonus. There is no benefit from casting a Starsurge close to the peak, so you should try and "save" the time for more important spells.

Always avoid landing a spell in the wrong eclipse
    If you can get a unempowered Starfire to land <40 solar energy, it's still better then casting a wrath. Only when you have an empowerment or need to use the global to use a Starsurge, you shouldn't do it.
    Last edited by mmoc870401b08e; 2015-02-20 at 04:15 AM.