Deleted

Upgrading a i5 2380P CPU

Hey everyone,

I'm thinking of upgrading the oldest part of my rig - the CPU. I'm currently running the following setup:

i5 2380P (3.1GHz)
    Gigabyte Z68 chipset mobo (don't remember the exact name)
    R9 280X
    2*4 GB Corsair Vengeance 1333MHz DDR-3
    128GB Crucial M500 SSD
    500W 80+ efficiency Corsair PSU.

I'm fairly certain that the CPU is the weakest link here by far (feel free to prove me wrong). I only use the computer for gaming, mainly World of Warcraft, League of Legends, Diablo III, but I also play new games (such as dragon age inquisition), real time strategies or turn based strategies (Civ IV or V) and I'm planning to try out some future titles (Mass Effect 4, Star Citizen etc.).

My current setup pushes about 110 FPS in LoL with high settings and medium shadows, about 50-60 FPS in garrison in WoW, about 70 FPS in <15 man raids in WoW with high / ultra settingw, and decent enough fps in Diablo III while single player. Sessions with 4 people can get hairy sometimes. DAI is playable with mid to high settings however the game doesn't feel smooth.

Now my budget is 300 Euros, and within that budget I have to fit a CPU, mobo, cooler (if needed) and PSU (if needed). I am willing and able to overclock the CPU. I am, however, not willing to spend 300 Euros to get a 5% FPS increase

I would also like to ask everyone who posts their ideas to also provide a rough estimate on how much of a performance increase can I expect from suggested CPUs. Thanks!

No, not worth it. Maybe if you can find a used 2500k/2600k/2700k for really cheap sure, but no way is it worth it to buy new parts your CPU is already quite good.

Are you having problems running any of those games? If you are not, your gonna need to spend around $300 for a CPU/GPU and I'd get some 1600 RAM while at it, so that's another $60-70. Roughly $400, and the gains will not be huge.

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i...-Core-i5-2380P
    http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/584..._i5-4690K.html

There are gains, but only you can decide if it's worth $400 to you or not. If you happen to have a Microcenter near you, you could probably do it for closer to $300, that's just a guess though

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    There are gains, but only you can decide if it's worth $400 to you or not. If you happen to have a Microcenter near you, you could probably do it for closer to $300, that's just a guess though
    He is talking about euro's. I doubt there is a microcenter near by

But yeah, it is not worth it to upgrade.