Thread: TMI sleuthing

TMI sleuthing

Ever have a log where your TMI is mysteriously high and it's hard to figure out why? Wondering whether anyone has a quick way to isolate which part of the fight to look at to figure out what went wrong. Assume nothing stands out on buff uptimes, casts, etc. Sometimes the damage graph even looks similar to other fights with far lower TMIs. The best I've come up with is to look at brief time segments of damage taken until I find the high-TMI spot(s). It's a little tedious because the spikiest-looking places on the damage graph often aren't that bad in terms of TMI. Instead, a time period that doesn't look too bad on the graph turns out to be the culprit (maybe b/c of external absorbs?).

Most recently, I was surprised by a 167k TMI on a Kromog fight where I felt like I was doing great and had been ending up at 130k or less. This was the kill of course. Turns out my co-tank wandered away for 2 Stone Fists hits while I didn't have Guard up, and those 2 seconds shot my TMI up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Palealepanda View Post
    . Turns out my co-tank wandered away for 2 Stone Fists hits while I didn't have Guard up, and those 2 seconds shot my TMI up.
    Do mean slam?
    The light that burns twice as bright burns for half as long - and you have burned so very, very brightly.

Thing about TMI is that it isn't an average or a ranking of relative overall spikiness, but a ranking of maximum spikiness.

You could end up being perfectly smooth averaging 20% of your health per hit the whole fight, then take one spike for 90% of your health 3 seconds before the end of the encounter, and your TMI would still be higher than if you took an average of 80% of your health every time you got hit -- and obviously the former is better than the later.

The new design for tank damage and healing has damage spikes being a much less relevant metric in the first place, so don't read TOO much into the number.

Quote Originally Posted by chaddd View Post
    Do mean slam?
    No, Fists of Stone -- the one where the damage is split with another target within 15 yards.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shamanberry View Post
    Thing about TMI is that it isn't an average or a ranking of relative overall spikiness, but a ranking of maximum spikiness.

You could end up being perfectly smooth averaging 20% of your health per hit the whole fight, then take one spike for 90% of your health 3 seconds before the end of the encounter, and your TMI would still be higher than if you took an average of 80% of your health every time you got hit -- and obviously the former is better than the later.

The new design for tank damage and healing has damage spikes being a much less relevant metric in the first place, so don't read TOO much into the number.
    Yeah, I know. Still wondering whether anyone has a quick way to find where in the fight the max spike(s) happened. Can be useful to find them and see what happened, and it's tedious sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Palealepanda View Post
    Yeah, I know. Still wondering whether anyone has a quick way to find where in the fight the max spike(s) happened. Can be useful to find them and see what happened, and it's tedious sometimes.
    Best way I can think would actually be to do it visually in WCL. If you open up the damage taken log and set it view yourself only (maybe compared to your other tank), you can see where damage is high or low throughout the encounter.

If the graph is mostly smooth but you suddenly jump up and plateau for 5 sec, you can highlight the graph and zoom in to see what hits actually caused the spike. If it's something expected like an Inferno Slash, all is good. If it's something out of the ordinary, you can investigate further knowing where to look.

Quote Originally Posted by Shamanberry View Post
    Best way I can think would actually be to do it visually in WCL. If you open up the damage taken log and set it view yourself only (maybe compared to your other tank), you can see where damage is high or low throughout the encounter.

If the graph is mostly smooth but you suddenly jump up and plateau for 5 sec, you can highlight the graph and zoom in to see what hits actually caused the spike. If it's something expected like an Inferno Slash, all is good. If it's something out of the ordinary, you can investigate further knowing where to look.
    That's what I currently do.