Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    The one where you resurrect when you die in coilfang reservoir, period.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexton View Post
    Probably some COD multiplayer game. You can have people spawn right infront of you and/or spawn infront of someone else. You get 1 sec to live and then its back to waiting.
    Iirc there was a fps game (UT maybe?) where if u were right on a respawn point and another player respawned there you got insta-killed...
    Last edited by D3athsting; 2015-02-20 at 05:15 PM.
    You think you do, but you don't ©
    Rogues are fine ©
    We're pretty happy with rogues ©
    Haste will fix it ©

Call of Duty MP is rather notorious for this.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Diablo 3 on my laggy laptop.

I was surrounded by mobs at the checkpoint/respawn spot. I don't remember there being a respawn at town option then though...it was like, the day the game came out.
    Every spot was a bad check point when you hit Jay Wilson's Inferno in Vanilla D3. Reaper of Souls didn't make it that much better.

Halo 2, Legendary Difficulty. (By far one of the most challenging things I've played.)
    Spawn, move forward, Enemy Jackal Sniper fire's, Game saves, Jackal's fire shot hits me in the head. Infinite loop. No choice but to restart the level...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    Dark Souls...
    I HATE THIS GAME SO MUCH!! >_<!!

I'm a Kitsune! Not a cat, or a mutt!

For me it was in The Witcher 2. There is a save point between two phases of the last monster boss, but if, like me, you're not very good at the game, it saves when you have low health and you just have to stand there and wait for your health bar to slowly fill up for several minutes before trying the boss again. You can't meditate in that spot to regain health and you can't quicksave either once the healthbar is full. Really annoying.
    I don't think this matters nearly as much as you think it does.

Quote Originally Posted by Randoman01 View Post
    What was the game where you have had the worst experience at respawning?

For me it was Far Cry 4. While trying to take an outpost I respawned near a pack of wolves that attacked me. I tried to shoot them but they blew my cover. Then I respawned right next to them and with a sniper rifle so I had to quickly switch weapons. What was the worst respawn point that you have experienced?
    Yeah, my main issue with FC4 was the stealth autofail missions that weren't part of the main story. I would have liked to have seen higher rewards for completing them stealthed, but still letting you finish if you get seen. Some of those were ridiculously frustrating.

When I think of rough respawn points, I think of the original Quake. We used to play that for hours and hours, and a few in our friends group were really really good at it. You'd be greeted on respawn on maps like E1M7 with a rocket to the face immediately.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Fox View Post
    Halo 2, Legendary Difficulty. (By far one of the most challenging things I've played.)
    Spawn, move forward, Enemy Jackal Sniper fire's, Game saves, Jackal's fire shot hits me in the head. Infinite loop. No choice but to restart the level...

- - - Updated - - -

I HATE THIS GAME SO MUCH!! >_<!!

Oooohhh, I did NOT see that coming! Never been to... I'm guessing Tomb of the Giants?

I remember the very first time I played Dark Souls, spent about half an hour attempting to kill the Asylum Demon, and kept getting owned by the first set of Hollows on the way to Undead Burg, now days I can get out of the Asylum in under 5 mins.
    Shath'mag vwyq shu et'agthu, Shath'mag sshk ye! Krz'ek fhn'z agash zz maqdahl or'kaaxth'ma amqa!
    The Black Empire once ruled this pitiful world, and it will do so again! Your pitiful kind will know only despair and sorrow for a hundred thousand millennia to come!

Like I don't mind games that are challenging where you encounter something and die, but you learn something. So then you respawn and go back and either beat it or learn something new again.

The thing I was talking about in Dark Souls was I accidentally slashed a friendly NPC because I was just still learning the controls, but every time I respawned he was still hostile. If he killed me the first time and taught me a lesson, I would know better next time. Instead it was basically forcing me to have to restart the entire game. I didn't feel starting over was worth it and rather just moved onto another game and traded it in.

10+ Year Old Account
    WSG GY was terrible, it got improved, but its still not great.

10+ Year Old Account
    Like I don't mind games that are challenging where you encounter something and die, but you learn something. So then you respawn and go back and either beat it or learn something new again.

The thing I was talking about in Dark Souls was I accidentally slashed a friendly NPC because I was just still learning the controls, but every time I respawned he was still hostile. If he killed me the first time and taught me a lesson, I would know better next time. Instead it was basically forcing me to have to restart the entire game. I didn't feel starting over was worth it and rather just moved onto another game and traded it in.
    That sounds like an absolutely terrible reason to turn in a great game. -_- The fact you make it sound like you didn't even try to evade him or get him caught in one of the areas of Firelink or just charged away into one of the other areas in the game to avoid him makes it even worse. Also he wasn't forcing you to start again (even then it's only 5 minutes in so it's not a chore if you really pushed yourself to it) and did teach you a lesson. NPCs don't take kindly to being stabbed with swords and will remember when you've wronged them even if you die or visit a bonfire, the world doesn't reset every time you die like in other games.

There was this point in BL2 where I always kept dying with enemies just piling up. Close to an elevator in an underground city place.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Diablo 3 on my laggy laptop.

I was surrounded by mobs at the checkpoint/respawn spot. I don't remember there being a respawn at town option then though...it was like, the day the game came out.
    Are you me? My fps gets really horrible sometimes in D3 too (about 1-5 frames), trying to ress at corpse, can't even get out of the area before I explode to some Molten or other crap on the floor, or I just die to the packs melee attacks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darknessvamp View Post
    I really do wonder how you define difficulty then.
    Difficulty to me alone is not simply margin of error but complexity of execution as well. For instance, most shmups give you one hit point. All of them are in many ways equally punishing. Get hit by anything and you die. Not all shmups are the same difficulty AT ALL. Games like Raiden and Einhander, while extremely fun, have NOTHING on Touhou or Mushihimesama Futari. Margin of error does indeed make things more difficult and Dark Souls has that in spades, but the complexity of execution, while difficult, is not the worst I've seen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I do not have enough hands to apply enough palms to my face.

WoW, TBC, Blade's Edge Mountains.

There was a cave with whelps and orcs in the north-west, where if you died the closest graveyard back in TBC was in the canyon.

Directly there was only about 600 yards, but the only way to get back to your body was by running across the width of the canyon, down or up to a point where you could climb to the upper levels of Blade's Edge, run up and around Ruan Weld or whatever it was called, across the bridge, then curve down past the Arrakoa and Ogre villages to the cave.

At which point you try to find a spot to spawn out of sight of enemies, fail, and get killed by three angry mobs, then have to repeat the process.

The only positive(?) was that despite how quick you died, you would be unlikely to have to wait on a rez timer, since the run itself took close to ten minutes.

10+ Year Old Account

You should've just run away, but I will admit that Dark Souls is very unforgiving when it comes to killing friendly NPCs.

Any call of duty game on veteran difficulty, with the bullshit respawn points on some levels. Die, respawn, try to run to cover, die to a grenade/gunfire, repeat 1000x

fallout/elderscrolls

you don't 'respawn' you load last save.... how long did you last go without saving anything? mine was 10 hours one day... 10 hours of exploring/questing/crafting. All those random loots lost forever.

After that, I went around saving every 10 minutes manually.

Quote Originally Posted by Darknessvamp View Post
    That sounds like an absolutely terrible reason to turn in a great game. -_- The fact you make it sound like you didn't even try to evade him or get him caught in one of the areas of Firelink or just charged away into one of the other areas in the game to avoid him makes it even worse. Also he wasn't forcing you to start again (even then it's only 5 minutes in so it's not a chore if you really pushed yourself to it) and did teach you a lesson. NPCs don't take kindly to being stabbed with swords and will remember when you've wronged them even if you die or visit a bonfire, the world doesn't reset every time you die like in other games.
    It didn't even give me a chance to develop an interest in the game. I'm not sure who the NPC was but he was in like a circle of stonehendge shit or something. The only other game this happened to me with was Resistance. It just was a giant challenge right from the start before I even got invested. The game gave me no reason to care to try to beat it. It was just annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    You should've just run away, but I will admit that Dark Souls is very unforgiving when it comes to killing friendly NPCs.
    Tried everything. It's possible it was actually bugged too, but every restart he was chasing me down with a vengeance.

At the end of the day, I play a lot of games and I can be picky about it. But if a game is boring or too annoying 30min in I walk away. There were a ton of other games that came out around that time that better held my interest.

Deleted
    Probably the various buggy zones in WoW dungeons that spawn you in Westfall for whatever reason.

For example the hallway between Anomalus and Ormorok the Tree-Shaper in The Nexus. Have fun running back to the dungeon for next 30 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexton View Post
    Probably some COD multiplayer game. You can have people spawn right infront of you and/or spawn infront of someone else. You get 1 sec to live and then its back to waiting.
    It's this. Modern Warfare 2, to be precise.