Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Old wives tales. The "PSU dying and taking components with it" has not been true in literally decades. Even the cheapest of cheap PSU's sold today have basic overcurrent/overvoltage protection. If your PSU dies it will be with a small pop and thats it, no burning bodies and smoke like the PSU companies would like you to believe (i assume thats how that nonsense started, or just carried over from the years past when cheap PSU's could actually do this).

I don't know PSUs as well as some of the other people that post here, but I think that PSU may be ok to re-use, especially if it is only 2 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Old wives tales. The "PSU dying and taking components with it" has not been true in literally decades. Even the cheapest of cheap PSU's sold today have basic overcurrent/overvoltage protection. If your PSU dies it will be with a small pop and thats it, no burning bodies and smoke like the PSU companies would like you to believe (i assume thats how that nonsense started, or just carried over from the years past when cheap PSU's could actually do this).
    That makes me feel better

When my first one went it, it was a very very loud pop. I thought for sure something was seriously damaged, but it was not. That psu going out that early was probably my fault. For a while I actually had no idea there was a fan under it, and it collected alot of dust. The only reason that I discovered this is because my pc would actually shut-off. The psu would get really hot, which I am assuming that is why the pc would shut-off.