Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Would you like if a Zelda/Dark Souls styled game had the main character as a Dwarf? (

Hey there, a small team and I are in the very early stages of concepting a small-scale dungeon crawler game, similar in gameplay to Ocarina of Time and Dark Souls.

Before we start work however, we're at a brick wall on whether making a dwarf as the main protagonist would be a problem or not.

Note: By 'Dwarf' I mean Dwarves in Warhammer, LotR, and Warcraft kind of dwarves.

http://strawpoll.me/3694266

Would love to hear opinions and comments!
    Eagerly waiting one expansion at a time for the Tinker/Mechanic/Engineer class since 2010

15+ Year Old Account
    I think a greedy dwarf bashing goblin/monster brains with a pickaxe sounds more epic and original than having an average human adventurer do it...just like all the other 100+ games that use the same concept.

10+ Year Old Account
    exclusively? not really

dwarves aren't really my thing. i mean they look cool and stuff, but i couldn't ever imagine playing one and actually sticking to it.

Deleted
    having a dwarf is good if you either want to tell a rich and in-depth story, or want it to just be a bit of a laugh

having a dwarf is bad if you want the player to be able to project themselves onto the character

Quote Originally Posted by ExcelDamage View Post
    having a dwarf is good if you either want to tell a rich and in-depth story, or want it to just be a bit of a laugh

having a dwarf is bad if you want the player to be able to project themselves onto the character
    I can totally understand that, in both movies and games, the dwarves are either portrayed very seriously with tragic/epic backgrounds, or really fun and goofy like Muradin from Heroes of the Storm, or The Dwarves from the Hobbit.
    Eagerly waiting one expansion at a time for the Tinker/Mechanic/Engineer class since 2010

I mean, there were two other player characters, but they weren't Dwarves so obviously they sucked.

Quote Originally Posted by ExcelDamage View Post

What? Not everyone wants to RP as a sexy elf...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

If you successfully make a game that combines the best of those 2 I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have any issues with the main character being a dwarf. Personally I like having lots of choices and creating my own character in games though.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

There was such a game, although dwarf wasn't the only character.
    Severance - Blade of Darkness.
    And it was awesome.

I like Dwarfes. Only humans is boring.

Deleted
    The only thing I can tell you is to avoid making a game where you will be killed in every room unless you already are aware for what's about to happen (aka Dark Souls 1 and sometimes 2.). A challenge is fun, but getting backstabbed by a spear that you had litterally no chance of avoiding unless you knew it would spawn behind you is retarded beyond believe.

Dark Souls has only a very small target group of people who enjoy doing the same shit for hundreds of hours. If you can make it a story rich game in a way that the story is told to you and not that you have to go read it on a wiki (like Dark Souls) then I could see it being good.

Anyway ontopic: It depends on the design of your dwarf and the story. Many games create dwarf races that are very off putting in terms of looks..some concept art could help you if you want a public opinion.

Nah. Seems silly. I sort like serious themes and interpretation.

the main character being a dwarf would be a non-issue imo. it would depend on what that meant as a gameplay mechanic.

Yes....because every game is better with a dwarf!
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ARhaine View Post
    There was such a game, although dwarf wasn't the only character.
    Severance - Blade of Darkness.
    And it was awesome.
    that was exactly my first thought. severance is even better at what it does than dark souls imo.

i would definitively play a game o that kind again (and i actually play severance now and then).
    as long as it has no open world and tight and dungeons and caves. i despise open world in singleplayer.
    and 8bit retro stuff is an nogo for me to.

i like some unconventional protagonists. see styx where you play a goblin.

Similar to an elf or a human, you as a developer can make good decisions and bad ones. If the dwarf character is getting drunk all of the time, and uses abilities like "Keg Smash," that might not be such a great idea for a serious game.

Personally I don't like dwarves, so no.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    What? Not everyone wants to RP as a sexy elf...
    More of a human male than a sexy elf really, you'd be surprised how many that always opts for the human male standard action hero character if the choice is given to them.

Yes please. Humans are getting quite boring.

Yes! Because I play Role-Playing-Games to be someone other than a boring human, which I already am in real life!

Depends on how the game ends up, I see no issue with a dwarf as the character.