Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    If I want A, but A is already secured, then contributing more to A is detracting from my ability to help secure another thing I want, B. I'm giving up my ability to get two things by overfunding one thing.
    I seriously do not get what you are saying.

If you want A - you secure it buy paying.
    if I want A - I secure it by paying
    if 200000 other people want A they secure it by paying
    Some of them might want A+
    Others - A++
    5 rich guys might want A+++

Then you might want to secure another copy of A as a gift to a friend or whatever - you pay extra.

^^^^
    crowdfunding

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nindoriel View Post
    I meant the total amount of money.
    What about it? It wasn't given by a single person. So its not huge.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Valarius View Post
    Well, a lot of it will go towards fulfilling orders. They don't "make" 8 million since they need to produce and distribute all of those cards. They have 202,935 orders of the $35 version which consists of 2 decks of cards. Those orders make up ~ $7million of the number you see. I have no idea how much it costs to produce something like this so I couldn't speculate on what the actual profit will be. Arguably it'll be much cheaper than $35 when it goes to retail, so people could have waited rather than "pre-ordering" at the higher price point but ultimately it's up to people what they do with their own money.
    You think the cards will take 7 million$ to make?

10+ Year Old Account
    219,382 BOXES OF CARDS FOR FUCKS SAKE plus shipping

How is it any different from a company producing some card game and selling it in a mall?
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

People love their stupid card games
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

Deleted
    How much does one need to give them in order to get the cards anyway? I would say that giving anything above that, especially when you see how much they already have, is ridiculous.

Deleted
    Read my post. Again. Slowly.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    219,382 BOXES OF CARDS FOR FUCKS SAKE plus shipping

How is it any different from a company producing some card game and selling it in a mall?
    Did I say they shouldn't get payed for selling cards?

10+ Year Old Account
    Spend it on blackjack and hookers.

Perhaps I'm unfamiliar with how Kickstarter works, but I'm pretty sure you're funding development, not purchasing an item.
    So you didn't actually read how the Kickstarter's pledges work before you decided to jump all over it?

Currently playing Borderlands 1 remaster. Amped for Borderlands 3.
    Add me on the PSN for jolly-cooperation @ PuppetShoJustice

Perhaps I'm unfamiliar with how Kickstarter works, but I'm pretty sure you're funding development, not purchasing an item.
    Both in many cases. Most KS', Patreons and IndieGOGOs offer the product as part of the support cost.

I bought copies of Wasteland 2, Divinity Original Sin, Darkest Dungeon, Grim Dawn, etc by donating to their respective Kickstarter campaigns. The introductory (lowest price) support for each of these games included the game.

Also got some art books, comics, stickers and a couple of card games in the same manner- donate and get the product.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PuppetShowJustice View Post
    So you didn't actually read how the Kickstarter's pledges work before you decided to jump all over it?
    That's why its called a pledge. Its legally seen as a donation and not a purchase.

10+ Year Old Account
    Perhaps I'm unfamiliar with how Kickstarter works, but I'm pretty sure you're funding development, not purchasing an item. At $1,000,000 a card game is almost certainly secured. $8,000,000 is excessive, and the additional funds could be better spent contributing to other things the people who donated at a later point want, rather than continuing to throw superfluous funds at the card game.
    You sure are unfamiliar with crowd-funding. You don't fund the development per se - you fund whatever is offered if you want it. There's a minimum pledge which usually covers a COPY of the product. So you are buying a copy of product. It's basically a pre-order. Only with crowd-funding - it's backwards. Consumers decide what will be made by funding or not funding it.

I've read the rules in the past. They emphasized that you are not purchasing an item and the person doesn't owe you anything.
    Pledge $20 or more
    15,505 backers
    THE EXPLODING KITTENS DECK
    One copy of Exploding Kittens. (Ages 7+)
    -To order multiple decks, just add $20 for each extra deck you'd like. (extra shipping charges may apply)
    Estimated delivery: Jul 2015
    Ships anywhere in the world

The lowest possible donation amount = a purchase.

Currently playing Borderlands 1 remaster. Amped for Borderlands 3.
    Add me on the PSN for jolly-cooperation @ PuppetShoJustice

Uhh, I pledged a small amount for this, and in return I get a copy of the game. I felt it was worth it. I like The Oatmeal and I like card games. I'm pretty sure most people who pledged "pre-purchased" the game.

I really do not see how this is controversial.

10+ Year Old Account
    Did I say they shouldn't get payed for selling cards?
    They got paid. In full. And you are concerned by it for some unknown unreason.

- - - Updated - - -

How much does one need to give them in order to get the cards anyway? I would say that giving anything above that, especially when you see how much they already have, is ridiculous.
    Why does it matter how much they got if you want the cards?
    You do know there's no OTHER way to get them right?

Deleted
    Perhaps I'm unfamiliar with how Kickstarter works, but I'm pretty sure you're funding development
    Most of the time you are; especially with software which is expensive to develop (you're basically paying people's wages) but cheap to distribute, even though you also get a copy as part of the deal in most cases.

In this instance people are purchasing a physical product. Most of the development is already done. The money goes towards actually fulfilling orders, plus profits. The price point is probably high since they weren't expecting such a large order, with small orders of things costing relatively more to get out there. Either way, people are buying it at $35 because that's what they deem it to be worth/want to be the "firsts" or want to help the company establish itself so they can make more stuff, or whatever else. I've no doubt that the retail version will be much more reasonably priced.

It's almost like Dragon's Den (IDK if you have that in the US) where an inventor goes in with their already made product and tries to get funding for advertising, production, and opening doors for distribution. Only with crowdfunding.
    Last edited by mmoc4359933d3d; 2015-02-21 at 09:54 PM.

Deleted
    I'd be laughing to the bank. Then I remember that Grumpy Cat is probably worth more than I will ever be. Fuck my actual life. Glad that motherfucker ages so fast, at least i'll outlive him.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ladatteli View Post
    The fact that a card game about cats is the most backed campaign ever makes me despair for humanity.
    The reason why people like to back this sort of kickstarter is because of the kickstarter (The oatmeal) actually uses a lot of the leftover cash for charity, like the Tesla museum which he helped raise awareness about and establish.

Quote Originally Posted by Littleshashi View Post
    Uhh, I pledged a small amount for this, and in return I get a copy of the game. I felt it was worth it. I like The Oatmeal and I like card games. I'm pretty sure most people who pledged "pre-purchased" the game.

I really do not see how this is controversial.
    Wait it was made by the Oatmeal? Literally explains everything right there. (I see the artist helped actually, must of been the artwork)

I guess OP also missed Bear Simulator which had similar results, it got over a million I think while only asking for like, $300k or something? In under a day too.

That being said, I would buy this game immediately.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    They got paid. In full. And you are concerned by it for some unknown unreason.

- - - Updated - - -

Why does it matter how much they got if you want the cards?
    You do know there's no OTHER way to get them right?
    Because the title says they wanted 10000 for funding and they got 8 million. Had the title been "company asks 20$ for each pack of cards they sell" probably nobody would've given a shit, because that doesn't sound like funding.