Poll: Do you hate being asked computer questions?

Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Hate being asked computer questions?

I do.

For the longest time I've avoided learning too much about computers. Just enough to get me by with video games and the internet. The reason for this is because I hate people asking me to help them with their computers. I've learned first hand that computers can be a mess if you don't know how to fix them right and I flat out say I don't know how. But they keep asking me to fix theirs and I get the "Well just look at it!" response.

Today after a long and heated disagreement with my mother about an unrelated topic she asked me to help her with her computer. First she was trying to download some script reader, I think, that she said she wanted for a Facebook game. I asked her "do you know what this is because I'm not too sure about it." She says she knew what it was and wanted it anyway. It wouldn't download for whatever reason. I gave up on it and suggested she download AVG, free version, and SpyHunter since I use them both with no problems. She calls me right before I go to sleep tonight and says she can't get on the internet anymore and some other program has popped up saying she can't. God knows what else she's downloaded onto her computer or has been on there for the longest time.

And now I'm so pissed off I can't go to sleep.

Deleted
    Depends on what it is about.

10+ Year Old Account
    Only when people come to me for help then argue against my advice or having to fix the same problem over and over.

I like to help family. My mother drives me up and over 20 walls, but I still like helping her. I'd just prefer she wasn't involved in the process at all.

Uninterested in helping non-family, but non-family also doesn't tend to ask for help anyway.
    "Bananas, like people, sometimes look different when they are naked." Grace Helbig

There's a major difference between general questions and having a person who cba google when something/anything happens (or most likely, doesnt happen).

On one hand, I like helping people and the like. On the other hand, it can be a hassle.

For example, my mother. She's very computer illiterate, and blames anything that goes wrong on me. Something inconveniencing her? It's that damned game (Diablo 2) I installed on that computer years and years ago. Or because I know "a lot about computers", I simply know everything about computers, therefore she has no desire nor need to educate herself about anything.

So, 50/50. I'd say I lean hating it, but whatever. Not a big deal, really.

At first I was like what a dumb thread but then I saw there was a poll.

I don't really like it either. Not because I mind helping, but because people are too grounded and stubborn about their computer habits. Nothing I have ever tried to tell people about changing the unhealthy ways in which they use their devices has ever been listened to. I say don't install programs you got from popups, I say untick unnecessary additional software when installing trusted programs, I say write your passwords into a notepad file for reference. Not ONE thing I've ever said to anyone I've performed computer repair/maintenance for has ever been listened to. THAT is why I don't like helping.

7+ Year Old Account
    I know enough quite a bit but I don't go just shooting off all I know because people tend to ask me for more and more help. I get bothered sometimes but for the most part I just keep my nerd talents to myself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkjounin View Post
    There's a major difference between general questions and having a person who cba google when something/anything happens (or most likely, doesnt happen).
    I tell my family if you think there is a problem, bring it to me. Because I know if they Google their issue, I'll have to likely reinstal windows after backing up their 600gigs of crap they seem to always forget to put on a backup storage option.

Yeah, I usually help when I can, if I don't have time I tell them where to go to find out the solution. People are always helping me out with things and helping with their computer problems is one way to settle up.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    It's your mom. Just help her out.
    I did. You see where that's gotten me. >.<

10+ Year Old Account
    My parents have an extremely limited understanding of the internet and download stupid things that ruin their computer all the time. They also never learn or remember anything I show them. My grandparents know nothing whatsoever and try to get me to look up these weird local documents and land ownership details, both of which I know very little about where to look. So yeah, I don't like being asked anymore.

Sometimes. Depends on the question. If it is something interesting, I don't mind. If it is something silly like, "Can I send an email to myself?" I mind.

My husband works for IBM and is by profession and training a computer scientist & programmer. He gives the following sage advice to our nieces and nephews:

1. Never own a pick-up truck because your friends & family will ask for your help whenever they have to move.
    2. Don't eat seafood that smells bad. It will make you sick.
    3. If anyone asks if you know anything about computes, say no, or everyone will ask you to fix their phone/devices.

He lives by this- never eats seafood out, feigns ignorance about all computer and pick-up truck related questions.

My job is to help people get onto the internet.

Yeah, even things that simple. Imagine doing that instead.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Sometimes. Depends on the question. If it is something interesting, I don't mind. If it is something silly like, "Can I send an email to myself?" I mind.

My husband works for IBM and is by profession and training a computer scientist & programmer. He gives the following sage advice to our nieces and nephews:

1. Never own a pick-up truck because everyone you will ask to borrow or ask you to help them move.

2. Don't eat seafood that smells bad. It will make you sick.
    3. If anyone asks if you know anything about computes, say no, or everyone will ask you to fix their phone/devices.

He lives by this- never eats seafood out, feigns ignorance about all computer and pick-up truck related questions.
    Funnily enough, that's what the heated disagreement was about earlier.....

I love helping people with real problems or questions.

I HATE helping my mom understand the simplest of things that I've already told her 3 times this week. But she's my mom so I help her with a smile. Things like "If our internet is off, why did my cell phone work?" Because she doesn't understand that the two are not related at all. Or statements like "My computer made a noise, I think the processor broke off because it's going slow too" (not understanding that the processor can't break off and the reason it's slow is because it's a walmart computer from 6 years ago lol)

Also: I'm pretty sure your mom downloaded a virus. I heard of a nasty one that popped up recently that basically requires a reformat to get rid of due to infecting system files and locking administrative access. I believe it also comes with a popup saying "Buy this to clean your computer!" or something like that.
    Last edited by Torgent; 2015-02-22 at 02:55 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    It's your mom. Just help her out.
    pretty much this stop being an ass and go help her out. My mom asks me the dumbest shit like how to print something. I can't tell you how many times I have seen her typing something instead of copy pasting it. You really want to get annoyed with computer related questions get a Computer Science degree and watch the barrage of stupid questions. I have my mother calling me on behalf of her friends asking stupid questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    Funnily enough, that's what the heated disagreement was about earlier.....
    My husband is the wisest dumb smart person I ever met. So I married him.

Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    pretty much this stop being an ass and go help her out. My mom asks me the dumbest shit like how to print something. I can't tell you how many times I have seen her typing something instead of copy pasting it. You really want to get annoyed with computer related questions get a Computer Science degree and watch the barrage of stupid questions. I have my mother calling me on behalf of her friends asking stupid questions.
    I have a Computer Art degree and people assume I know how the inner workings of a computer.

I mean, sure I help people use a computer, but I sure as hell don't know how to replace parts or how to fix a faulty HDD.