New hobby questions - rpg weapons crafting

Recently i was looking for a new hobby, something fun and relaxing to keep me occupied for about an hour every day. One thing that caught my eye was making weapons from rpg games (mostly WoW though). Keep in mind, I'm doing this for fun and I'll probably just hang them around my house as a decoration. The reason I'm posting this is because i have no idea where to start and i need guidance. I would also like to keep this as budget-friendly as possible.

- I don't know which materials to use but i do know I would like to avoid using large pieces of wood and metal. I saw people mention things like foam / paper mache but I'm not sure if those are durable. Basically, if you can recommend something you can get in a local store that is also durable, cheap and easy to work with that would be perfect.
    - Are there any sites / videos you would recommend? Most youtube guides I've found are armor crafting guides instead of weapon guides.
    - If there is anything else you can share about this it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

I haven't seen any cosplay threads on MMO-C here over the past few years. The subreddit would probably be able to help you out: https://www.reddit.com/r/cosplay/