Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by drwelfare View Post
    I have asked people using CC's on large transactions if they were doing it for the cash back, a lot of people are doing it for the 1% back, I'll give them 2% off the whole ticket, since it costs me 3% to run the card
    Exactly.

On a related note I read some time ago that a professor somewhere wrote a paper on what automatic CC/Bank transactions should cost if they were priced according to the expenses related to it with a reasonable markup and the sum was a lot of zeroes followed by a 1.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by golds View Post
    I've heard these cards are mainly used by wealthy upper class individuals and people who make good money. is this true?

Or is it all hype?
    Hype. It's pretty easy to get an AMEX if your bank or financial institution offers them. They offer some benefits you can't get through MasterCard, VISA, or Discover.

Discover is, IMO, the best credit card to have, though. They're much smaller than the other three so tend to offer better benefits to try and entice people to get one. The downside is that since it's smaller, Discover isn't always accepted everywhere like a MasterCard is.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    Cashback as a concept of gaining something is something only stupid people believe in, much like coupons in the grocery store.
    It's a discount, basically. 3% cashback means you're only paying 97% of the price.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    Hype. It's pretty easy to get an AMEX if your bank or financial institution offers them. They offer some benefits you can't get through MasterCard, VISA, or Discover.

Discover is, IMO, the best credit card to have, though. They're much smaller than the other three so tend to offer better benefits to try and entice people to get one. The downside is that since it's smaller, Discover isn't always accepted everywhere like a MasterCard is.
    Should mention it only works in US, I read that they acquired Diners so might change but it is as of yet not a good idea abroad. Fine in US however.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    Should mention it only works in US, I read that they acquired Diners so might change but it is as of yet not a good idea abroad. Fine in US however.
    Well the US is the best country, why would you ever want to live or work anywhere else?
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    Well the US is the best country, why would you ever want to live or work anywhere else?
    Haha true
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

10+ Year Old Account
    When I worked in retail we had trouble with AmEx cards at the till. If the card scanned through (yes before chip and pin) it was 50/50 whether it actually registered it as payment. If it did then great and enjoy your shopping, if not we had to ring up the bank, confirm the card and authorize the transaction.

Prestigious, yes maybe, total pain in the ass to deal with, fuck yeah.

yup here credit cards company charge high fees (i think it's a percentage of the transaction) and among them Amex is the higher; btw the myth of the Amex card was born in the 80s with the famous black card here: http://www.snopes.com/business/bank/blackcard.asp
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Obviously this issue doesn't affect me however unlike some raiders I don't see the point in taking satisfaction in this injustice, it's wrong, just because it doesn't hurt me doesn't stop it being wrong, the player base should stand together when Blizzard do stupid shit like this not laugh at the ones being victimised.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    The Black Card is the one people find very prestigious.
    I worked in a call center that took a lot of calls from Black cards, most of the prestige is just BS hype. The card isn't as hard to get as some make it out to be and thats only due to it having a 200$ annual fee plus 150$ to add others to the card. (I stoped working there about 1 year ago)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tommypilgrim View Post
    As far as I am aware the Black card basically means you earn at least a million a year.
    Thats not true. You do need a better then avg credit score but not close to 1 mill a year. The lowes your credit on your black card is 500$. The normal amount in my experience was 5000$ - 8000$ credit lines.

Depends which kind, AmEx has several lines of prestige cards like Platinum, Diamond etc. But in the US they also have regular cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jack Flash View Post
    Amex is pretty useless it seems outside of America.

All the companies I've worked in retail in Australia has a service charge to use Amex.
    Coles/WW/Kmart/Target etc don't surcharge. Nor do swisher outlets like pharmacies. I think Myer/DJ as well? It's just smaller places that surcharge.

AmEx has poor acceptance in Aus. They have a premium product but no mainline - in the US they have regular Joe credit cards and their premium cards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

15+ Year Old Account
    I know its not the target audience but I work in a toy shop here in the UK and we don't accept American Express. Even my manager doesn't know why we don't. We just don't.

Well in Germany it is considered stupid to pay everything with credit cards, don't need to make the tracking of where money is spent even easier and paying with credit is culturally frowned upon.
    Most things are paid in cash or directly from your account.
    You do not spent money you do not have readily available for shopping (and they have not business to know where we spend our money in detail).
    Germany has had bad experiences with spying on things like that in the past - especially the Eastern parts of it.

Like one other person mentioned the Amex Black is the big daddy one. If you see somebody whip that out they have a good amount of cash to sling around.

Amex is a good way to build credit for somebody thats young. It shows that you can consistently make monthly payments. The only place that I know that only accepts Amex is Costco however this is changing. There was an article a week or two ago talking about the changing of CC companies for Costco.

The reason that Discover is not accepted at many establishments is because they charge a higher percentage to the retailer. Visa, Mastercard, Amex all charge 3-4% where Discover charges 6%. However, Discover generally has the better 'cash back' offerings to the consumer.

Really, the best thing to do is not use Credit Cards. The only one that I have is Amex and thats to buy gas at Costco since its so much cheaper.

What is peoples avoidance to CCs, I have always paid mine in full every month.
    The ability to dispute a charge is useful, like this week when I ordered a keyboard and it fell out the box in pieces, and the company will not respond.

On my business card I buy all my gas and make my parts orders, and pay it like any other NET 30 account.

Quote Originally Posted by drwelfare View Post
    What is peoples avoidance to CCs, I have always paid mine in full every month.
    The ability to dispute a charge is useful, like this week when I ordered a keyboard and it fell out the box in pieces, and the company will not respond.

On my business card I buy all my gas and make my parts orders, and pay it like any other NET 30 account.
    For most people, the aversion to credit cards is that they simply don't trust themselves to never give into temptation and overspend.

As some have mentioned, Amex has the highest swipe fees.

For my small business here's what I am charged:
    Debit: $0.05 (yep, flat fee)
    Visa and Discover: 1.6%
    MC: 1.8%
    Amex: 4%
    I get charged an extra 0.5% for certain premium cards and an additional 0.5 - 1% for transactions that do not involve microchip enabled cards (usually mail orders).

Needless to say, I don't accept Amex.

I am located in Canada and use Canadian debit provider Moneris. Other providers might give a little better although quite frankly, all providers are bastards with small hidden fees and other irritants.

Personally, I rarely use credit cards at small business's. It hurts their bottom line in favour of a large corporation's profit. I cheerfully use them when buying from large corporations because fuck them, I'm getting my 1% back.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    In the US I feel like everyone accepts Visa, Mastercard, and AmEx, but Discover is really hit or miss. Though, of the first three if they don't accept one, it's usually AmEx. On the other hand, I also feel like I've seen more stores accepting AmEx over the last 10+ years.
    A lot of stores do not accept Amex because they have the highest interchange fees. They can be as high as 14%

Deleted
    Visa > all you lowly peasants

My first time around in college in 2000, one of my friends was offered one upon enrolling and got it. He was lower middle class with parents who probably combined for ~$60k/year in income and had no income or savings himself. I don't think the lower tier cards are prestigious at all, unless something has changed. Now if you're talking about Centurion or Amex Black cards, those aren't just something they just hand out to anyone.

EDIT: Personally I have a 2 credit cards (one Visa, one MC) and a Visa debit card. I basically just use the credit cards to buy necessities then pay them down to 2% every month. I've been told that to build credit, the best way is to carry a small (2-5%) balance on the card and pay down to that every month, because for some reason paying down to zero isn't as good? (My cards are $300 and $500 so carrying a tiny balance like that doesn't really bother me since the interest is minuscule.) If anyone could confirm this for me or explain it I'd appreciate it, though. I also use creditkarma to check on my credit, and I'm not sure based on that when credit score companies check your card balance each month to see how much of your balance you're using. It seems like it's weekly, but are you supposed to just keep making payments every time you use your card to keep your balance down?

This kind of a lack of understanding is probably why I don't have great credit. =)
    Last edited by Xargoth6634; 2015-02-22 at 03:40 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    Visa > all you lowly peasants
    Cash > then all you idiots living beyond your means on credit

Generally speaking, the only 'prestigious' credit cards come with Wealth Accounts, for Wealth clients; which, generally speaking, are usually defined across most banks as customers with £100,000+ (or the equivalent in other currencies) of investable assets. As a general rule, there's nothing very prestigious at all about anything beneath Wealth Banking. American Express is also, as a general rule, pretty overrated; most of their cards/accounts are pretty standard in terms of the interest rates. Their 'good' cards (Gold/Platinum/etc) require you to be spending quite a bit on your credit card for the $450+ yearly fee (in exchange for 0% interest when you pay off your balance in full every month, which you have to) to be worth it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bethanie View Post
    Cash > then all you idiots living beyond your means on credit
    Credit cards, used right, are fine. Defined at its simplest, they are a means of unsecured borrowing/loan; which is absolutely fine if you want to buy something that you otherwise wouldn't get on a finance plan, for example. Alternatively, they're good for emergency spending; if you don't have the time to apply for a loan or otherwise. The absolute bottom line however, is that unless you are 99%+ confident that you will be making (or exceeding) your minimum payments as and when you should; they're more trouble than they're worth.

Coincidentally, the dreaded PPI (Payment Protection Insurance) was actually a good idea; setting a bit of money to one side in order to cover for you for any extenuating circumstances that might see you being unable to make at least the minimum payments. The trouble, of course, is that customers weren't actually asked if they wanted it.