Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Spectate Faker taken down. Thoughts?

No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training…what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. – Socrates

10+ Year Old Account
    What was the purpose of this? To troll him? If so, good riddance.
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

10+ Year Old Account
    So.....someone just wants to play without being watched constantly on stream, someone sets it up so that he is FORCED to, and the people harassing him are the good guys in this? O.o

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kilz View Post
    there is a good reason it was popular(Azubu, and Faker doesn't put any effort into streaming)..
    You realize it is not your right to decide who streams, or wants to stream, right?

- - - Updated - - -

Why? Because Faker does not own the rights to his own gameplay
    Seriously? this is blatant harassment..
    You're a towel.

10+ Year Old Account
    Um...a lot of people don't play video games to be watched constantly.
    You're a towel.

10+ Year Old Account
    Doesn't matter at all? The spectate feature is part of Riot and they openly support it. You can pick any player you want and watch every game they play with it.
    So use the spectate function, using someone elses gameplay to promote your stream is as scumbaggy as it can get in the streaming world.
    You're a towel.

10+ Year Old Account
    He made no profit off of it so try again. Even provided a link to Faker's stream.
    I never said that they did. However, they are using SOMEONE ELSES skill to essentially get famous, at least as famous as you can in these circles.

You cannot deny that streaming someone elses play without permission is an extremely rude thing to do, period.
    You're a towel.

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess we better close down those youtube channels that make montages of pro plays by others then.
    I bet if they requested that they be taken down, they would.

As this person was.
    You're a towel.

10+ Year Old Account
    I bet it would do them no good considering there is no partnership to appease for Riot in it.
    So your beef is with who here? Riot?

If someone is benefitting from someone elses gameplay and are asked to stop, its pretty damn rude to not stop.

Is this person a very good player? Perhaps they don't want the entire streaming world to see them play all the time as they practice for more important matches.
    You're a towel.

10+ Year Old Account
    "He does not benefit in any way" -except for getting ill gotten fame from it for nothing

So basically, you are for group stalking someone playing a video game. If there is a way to spectate in game, use that. Don't let someone else get "Famous" for streaming SOMEONE ELSES PLAY.

I don't understand how you don't understand that isn't cool.

- - - Updated - - -

"Personally, it’s pretty clear that I should have handled communications around this better. My intent was to jump to the defense of a player (Faker) who was being singled out and streamed against his will. "

how is that a scum thing to say? He is defending someones right to NOT be stalked essentially in a way he does not approve.
    You're a towel.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Faker was uncomfortable about his name and gameplay being streamed without his consent, and that they believed it had a negative impact to the value and stability of his streaming offering ."

Pretty much all you need to know. It was without his consent, in a way he did NOT lend his name to. Riot does not like it, the player does not like it, the streaming service that he has a contract with does not like it.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't understand why you keep throwing around the word "famous" like it means anything. Do you see a post that gets to reddit all and go "OMG THAT PERSONS A SUPERSTAR!"?

You must love Tryndamere a lot because you're even using the words that got him into trouble in the first place.
    Yes, because I am quoting him. That is what the "" mean.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't really give two shits about "Tryndamere". At all. However, he has a very legit point.

- - - Updated - - -

"Systematically streaming spectator mode of each of Faker’s games (rather than a few sporadically) on a rival platform understandably lessens the value of his partnership with Azubu and even more importantly, the potential of pros to gain equally lucrative streaming partnerships in the future. In a very real and material sense, the SpectateFaker stream causes Faker harm in his own judgment - and we believe he should have the right to see it discontinued."

TL;DR: the person streaming *HIS* games without his permission were fucking him over, and anyone in the future that would sign a streaming contract.
    You're a towel.

10+ Year Old Account
    Faker does not own the game. Faker does not own "his" games. By saying that you prove you don't understand anything about this.
    Riot is saying they don't want it to happen. Guess what? It *IS* their game!

"We will intervene and shut down streams where we perceive that it’s causing harm to individual players. This will usually result from the individual player requesting the takedown (although it isn’t always dependent on it), so we’ll also make it easy for streamers to contact us with those kind of requests and look into them on a case by case basis. Although the SpectateFaker case was the genesis - and will be the first case where this policy will apply - it isn’t specifically targeted to him, any pros or even pro players exclusively. If you believe you are being targeted for harassment by someone streaming your spectator games, please file a ticket with Riot player support."

So, doing an extremely scumbaggy thing (Streaming someone elses games without permission) is now going to be targetted by Riot, all because one asshole kept doing it after they asked him to stop.
    You're a towel.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I never said that they did. However, they are using SOMEONE ELSES skill to essentially get famous, at least as famous as you can in these circles.

You cannot deny that streaming someone elses play without permission is an extremely rude thing to do, period.
    Do you actually have a reason that it's wrong beyond your emotions? Because I'm not seeing any. "I feel it's a scumbaggy thing cause now everyone knows his name" no one knows his name. I've been aware of it for ages, I have no idea who did it and I don't care. There was no chance of someone miscontributing fakers gameplay to him. He wasn't making a profit, he wasn't gaining notoriety, he was providing a service that was available to anyone to those without technical knowhow.

"With regards to the SpectateFaker stream case, we believe strongly that the potential material harm caused to the player is real - as such, we’ll be honoring Faker’s request and pursuing a takedown of the stream."
    Quoting the reason they gave isn't an argument. The material harm they speak of is azubus perceived loss of ad revenue which in reality was nonexistant.

Riot is saying they don't want it to happen. Guess what? It *IS* their game!
    And here is the fundamental misunderstanding of the situation. We're saying it's a shitty thing to do, not that they had no legal right to do so. For some reason you and hundreds of other people on mmo-champion have this notion that anything that's legal is automatically right and not subject to criticism. I can't even begin to understand why you draw this. But it is not true. We're saying the cease and desist was shitty, the logic was flawed, and the alternatives poor. And they are. Parroting that it was legally admissable does not excuse this and it puts tryndamere in a poor light when the rest of riot seemingly tries so damn hard to talk in a way that doesn't dismiss facts to portray and extremist view of a situation.
    Last edited by Xenryusho; 2015-02-28 at 06:25 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    "With regards to the SpectateFaker stream case, we believe strongly that the potential material harm caused to the player is real - as such, we’ll be honoring Faker’s request and pursuing a takedown of the stream."

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Xenryusho View Post
    Do you actually have a reason that it's wrong beyond your emotions? Because I'm not seeing any. "I feel it's a scumbaggy thing cause no everyone knows his name" no one knows his name. I've been aware of it for ages, I have no idea who did it and I don't care. There was no chance of someone miscontributing fakers gameplay to him. He wasn't making a profit, he wasn't gaining notoriety, he was providing a service that was available to anyone to those without technical knowhow.
    How is it not a scum thing to do, to stream SOMEONE ELSES SKILL, against their wishes, and against the company that owns the games wishes?
    You're a towel.

10+ Year Old Account
    The guy even admits that he spoke to soon/forcefully without full knowledge, and apologized for it: HOWEVER, Riot is 100% in the right stopping someone from streaming someone elses gameplay without permission, period.

"Although I disagreed with StarLordLucian’s actions, they were born out of good intent. By making things personal and adversarial, and accusing him of ‘estalking’ Faker, my comments didn’t appropriately reflect his original intentions, which was to showcase Faker on Twitch.
    I moved too quickly to comment in a situation where I didn’t have the full context. I made an error by originally assuming that StarLordLucian was rebroadcasting direct streams; in fact he was streaming spectated games in an automated fashion. Basic factual mistakes like this blurred the message I was hoping to get across - that our primary goal was to protect players who felt they were being harmed by being systematically streamed against their will.
    Players were calling for an overall comment on the issue and the legal precedent it created (like this one), rather than a laser focus on the isolated StreamFaker case. By focusing solely on this case, I obscured some of the bigger issues at stake that we are hopefully now clarifying
    "

- - - Updated - - -

HAH! That actually made me laugh. You're just proving how deluded you are into thinking they did this because of Faker and not Azubu.

FYI Faker never had the option to have an opinion of this in the first place. If you don't understand why, I don't have the energy to bother explaining how kespa and Azubu work in South Korea and why you look extremely naive.
    Did he sign a contract with the other streaming service? Yes? Then it was for his benefit as well.

I don't think you realize that Riot is fully against this as well. If you don't like their decision, their really is nothing you can do about it. And it was the right decision.
    You're a towel.

I don't understand what the difference between being able to spectate Faker IN GAME and on Twitch is? I highly doubt Faker gives a shit, and Azubu is making him say all that so they don't lose even more viewers from their shitty ass site

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyanide View Post
    I don't understand what the difference between being able to spectate Faker IN GAME and on Twitch is? I highly doubt Faker gives a shit, and Azubu is making him say all that so they don't lose even more viewers from their shitty ass site
    Because he has a contract with another streaming service, and has requested the person to stop streaming his games on another service?
    You're a towel.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is a reason why they said this doesn't set a precedent
    Their is also a reason why they said they will continue doing it in the future if people are streaming against the players wishes

You are literally only reading into it what you want to read into it, and not seeing the entire thing...
    You're a towel.

10+ Year Old Account
    Coming from you that means nothing.

Gee I wish I could just read something one side posted after action was already taken and then instantly know the whole story! Oh wait I can! Off to read books about how great the winning side was in wars.
    Coming from me that means nothing? what about the official riot statement? O.o

They specifically said they would not tolerate people streaming other peoples play on streams against their wishes in their statement.

Which shouldn't even have to be said, because any decent person would stop it as soon as the person asked them to.
    You're a towel.

10+ Year Old Account
    Obviously done to appease Azubu and a corporate interest rather than a player interest.
    This statement you made right here explains everything. You realize that he has a contract, right? So in helping the "Corporate" interest as you so boldly claim, he IS helping the player.

"Faker's stream sucks because he doesen't put any effort in it."? Ok....so maybe he just does not like to fucking stream? That does not give YOU, or ANYONE the right to stream his gameplay on a competing service, period.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, I get it. It's okay to be a complete scumbag, as long as you're being emotional about it and make your side look righteous.

With your last statement you once again let it be known that you don't understand how this situation even started.
    "Makes my side look righteous" yeah, because I have to work really hard at that when one side is completely ignoring the wishes of the player that is actually playing the game!
    You're a towel.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your assumption is that the Twitch stream somehow affected Faker's income.

Reality check. If Riot cared about players they wouldn't have allowed KeSPA form a contract with Azubu. They would leave the teams to decide on contracts. Who do you think really profits from that deal? Hint: Not the players that are forced into it
    And...how do you know it didn't effect the views, and thus income, of a stream? Do you know what advertisements are?

You are seriously arguing from an extremely untenable moral position. The right thing to do is NOT stream someones gameplay against their wishes.

If you want to watch him play, do it with the spectator mode, or his own stream. Why do you think its ok to do something directly against someone, his contract, the people that make the game, and his teams wishes?
    You're a towel.