Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, the DCMA was stupid. I'm not arguing against that. I don't think anyone on this page at least has been saying it was a good idea.

And Kilz... you seem to not understand. There should be 0 views on Twitch. Twitch is a competitor of Azubu. They can not gain viewers through Faker. It really is that simple. That's what the whole thing boils down to.

That's why Faker / SKT asked for the stream to be stopped. Is that really so hard to understand?

can someone explain this to me, i have no idea whats going on as i have never played LOL

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by arandomuser View Post
    can someone explain this to me, i have no idea whats going on as i have never played LOL
    Then why even the interest?

10+ Year Old Account
    Nobody checked Azubu for anything outside of a few people. That's why Korean pros get 200 viewers. The only reason Faker was able to get over a thousand people to come to his stream was because there was a SpectateFaker stream on Twitch that allowed people to know when he was streaming without going to Azubu.

This is entirely irrelevant.

SKT, or rather, all of KeSPA has an exclusive contract with Azubu. That is the entirety of it. That is the only relevant thing. The rest is all complete non-sense that doesn't matter.

Whether you like it or not is completely beside the point.

10+ Year Old Account
    *sigh* I don't think you realise how the real world works.

Feel free to keep white knighting SpectateFaker, but the simple fact of the matter is that this was a completely unacceptable situation from a business point of view. No more, no less.

10+ Year Old Account
    We get it Kilz, you're pissed that they took down the stream even though they had all the rights to do so. Sorry but you have no argument, you're entire argument is based on your agenda. Azubu doesn't care about your agenda.
    Hey everyone

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilz View Post
    Comments like yours let me know that the people who defend Riot and Azubu are people who cant even be bothered to learn a single thing and instead just believe whatever statement Riot makes at the end of the day.

Whatever keep believing Riot cares about the players and letting them constantly do things that can only harm the players while caving in whenever a company is involved. After all that whole silly thing where Riot attempted to make it so Pro LoL players could only stream their game and none other was just a silly slip of the hand when they were writing it, they didn't seriously intend to do that at all! That's exactly why they removed it! Not because of the huge disaster it caused when the details were leaked to the public!
    My point, you do not understand how the corporate world works. It's like talking to a wall, it doesn't listen.

So basically, Azubu and Faker have a contract this means that Faker can only be shown on Azubu. Now before you go, "Rito is one the side of the evil corporation!", they don't have a choice. This is between Azubu and Faker and Riot only got "involved" because well shit it's their game and they handles their PR awfully. The sad thing is, PR only exists for people who don't understand the corporate world, behind closed doors there is next to nothing Riot really has power over this.

Mate I hate to be a dick about this but you really have no idea how everything works in business do you? You sign a contract to Azubu, you only stream on Azubu. If you're on Twitch then you will get taken down because you're not supposed to be on Twitch. In a round about way, it's pirating. No company likes a pirate and for you to defend SpectateFaker is beyond stupid.

Yeah it really fucking sucks Faker isn't on Twitch but you can't defend something that is set in stone by Azubu till a certain date. Everyone's just mad not because of what Riot said but because they can't watch Faker on Twitch so they make an argument out of anything whether it's Marc Merril's shitty tweets (which are completely irrelevant but what does that matter, have to make an argument out of something because I have an agenda) or whether it's just awful PR.

To restate one more time, PR is a thing that's done for people who don't understand certain things. Sometimes PR screws up, I personally see past PR and don't give a fuck what anyone from the PR department of a company has to say. You know why builders give away free houses (or at an extremely low mortgage) to wounded warriors (military injury in war)? Because it's a way to advertise their brand. PR is also used defensively in terms of some shit that goes down, it doesn't matter what they say because it's PR. You know what's really going on behind closed doors at Riot in regards to this SpectateFaker thing? Absolutely nothing, it doesn't concern them.
    Hey everyone

Except Faker's contract is that he would only stream on Twitch. His gameplay and gameplay assets are owned by Riot and, by Riot's terms of service, owned by the public to do with what we wanted. It even states in the terms of use that gameplay assets are free to be streamed, can be used in fan projects, whatever the user wants to do with them. It's how we have streams like Salty Teemo. We're even allowed monetary gain for it.

Azubu does not own his gameplay. Otherwise, that would open a nasty can of worms.

Also, I would argue that Azubu was only gaining from this. Faker regularly sees next to no views and saw a moderate increase with the SpectateFaker stream advertising his official stream for those who wanted more than just the public gameplay assets.

The whole thing became a fiasco because Azubu overstepped their boundaries and Marc Merrill threw a short sighted tantrum over nothing, slandered a guy, then made an exception to his terms of service to suit the whim of his (shady) business partner. That's why people are pissed off. He made some bullshit special exception to his rules because Azubu whined, even though this type of stream content has been going on for years for different pros since the spectate mode was added. Only now is it suddenly an issue.
    Last edited by Bullettime; 2015-03-03 at 01:00 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.
    Connal defending child molestation

Deleted
    Faker's contract only restricts Faker into streaming at Azubu. SpectateFaker is a whole other entity who has no legal contract about where he can stream. And as the gameplay of all league players is fair game in sense of both spectating and streaming (otherwise streams like SaltyTeemo couldn't exist), I see nothing wrong with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Guru Laghima View Post
    My point, you do not understand how the corporate world works. It's like talking to a wall, it doesn't listen.

So basically, Azubu and Faker have a contract this means that Faker can only be shown on Azubu. Now before you go, "Rito is one the side of the evil corporation!", they don't have a choice. This is between Azubu and Faker and Riot only got "involved" because well shit it's their game and they handles their PR awfully. The sad thing is, PR only exists for people who don't understand the corporate world, behind closed doors there is next to nothing Riot really has power over this.

Mate I hate to be a dick about this but you really have no idea how everything works in business do you? You sign a contract to Azubu, you only stream on Azubu. If you're on Twitch then you will get taken down because you're not supposed to be on Twitch. In a round about way, it's pirating. No company likes a pirate and for you to defend SpectateFaker is beyond stupid.

Yeah it really fucking sucks Faker isn't on Twitch but you can't defend something that is set in stone by Azubu till a certain date. Everyone's just mad not because of what Riot said but because they can't watch Faker on Twitch so they make an argument out of anything whether it's Marc Merril's shitty tweets (which are completely irrelevant but what does that matter, have to make an argument out of something because I have an agenda) or whether it's just awful PR.

To restate one more time, PR is a thing that's done for people who don't understand certain things. Sometimes PR screws up, I personally see past PR and don't give a fuck what anyone from the PR department of a company has to say. You know why builders give away free houses (or at an extremely low mortgage) to wounded warriors (military injury in war)? Because it's a way to advertise their brand. PR is also used defensively in terms of some shit that goes down, it doesn't matter what they say because it's PR. You know what's really going on behind closed doors at Riot in regards to this SpectateFaker thing? Absolutely nothing, it doesn't concern them.
    Except that Azubu has no legal right whatsoever to stop someone from spectating Faker and then streaming that on Twitch. None. At. All.

To allow people to watch him play games when he wasn't streaming or if he was streaming to avoid Azubu. I don't feel like saying the entire story, but no it was not to troll him and there is a good reason it was popular(Azubu, and Faker doesn't put any effort into streaming).
    Reading through your responses, it's clear that you are very emotionally charged by this. Why does this matter to you so much? YOu are literally not affected by this in any way, shape, or form. Take a deep breath, and just relax.

- - - Updated - - -

Comments like yours let me know that the people who defend Riot and Azubu are people who cant even be bothered to learn a single thing and instead just believe whatever statement Riot makes at the end of the day.
    You don't want people accepting what Riot has to say, but in turn want people to just believe what you have to say?
    If people criticized the Bible as much as they criticize WOW we'd all be atheists.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sileh View Post
    Except that Azubu has no legal right whatsoever to stop someone from spectating Faker and then streaming that on Twitch. None. At. All.
    Seems like they do, where are you basing your facts from? There are contracts signed in ink and even if it weren't right no internet keyboard warrior will stop them. It's like one huge circlejerk about SpectateFaker because everyone just wants to see him on Twitch, tough shit it isn't happening. Stop trying to say, "Well right here it says it's not legal", it doesn't matter he will stream on Azubu and Azubu only unless something in the contract is changed or it ends and he decides to go elsewhere.
    Hey everyone

10+ Year Old Account
    It still amazes me that you still don't understand what happened and why everything you type is laughable.
    http://www.dailydot.com/esports/dmca...u-twitch-riot/

I'll even shorten down where to look for you because you seem to have a hard time understanding what has been repeated. Read the paragraph under "The basics of copyright law".

You don't seem even understand how the stream was closed down. Azubu did not and could not close the stream down. Their contract gave them no power to do so. They basically just requested that Riot uses their practically unlimited power(think about how Blizzard could ban anyone playing their game for no reason) to take the stream down. Riot can take down pretty much any LoL stream they want using this method. It's not a method that needs proof of anything to use.

So Azubu made Riot their pet dog and told the dog to do a trick for them. Now can you see why this makes Riot look bad and even worse when they tried to hide the fact and pretend they did it for Faker? For someone acting like they understand the "real world" you certainly don't show it. This was a company forcing another company to do their bidding because they weren't able to accomplish their goal through their own legal means.
    Again, you can quote anything you want, it happened and it means there was something in there that allowed it and why it was taken down. Also like the poster said above it's clear that your emotions are affecting you argument and just like reddit you have a clear bias. Your argument is really out there because you forget one thing, why would Riot take it down without a motive?

It's like everyone on fucking reddit is, "RIOT TOOK IT DOWN FOR NO REASON!!!!", no there's a reason and a motive and to be completely blind to that is showing your bias. Sorry mate, you can't watch Faker on Twitch. Life sucks.
    Hey everyone

Seems like they do, where are you basing your facts from? There are contracts signed in ink and even if it weren't right no internet keyboard warrior will stop them. It's like one huge circlejerk about SpectateFaker because everyone just wants to see him on Twitch, tough shit it isn't happening. Stop trying to say, "Well right here it says it's not legal", it doesn't matter he will stream on Azubu and Azubu only unless something in the contract is changed or it ends and he decides to go elsewhere.
    Seems like they don't because the DMCA was completely invalid. Azubu can sign whatever contracts they want with Faker at the end of the day it all belongs to Riot and have they zero legal say in what happens. You and I can also can make any contracts that we like, doesn't mean it is any legit.

10+ Year Old Account
    So you just ignore whatever anyone type and continue on in your ignorance. The fact that you can't read a single line of text is amazing.
    Because you're entire argument is based off your emotion. It's literally grasping at straws.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sileh View Post
    Seems like they don't because the DMCA was completely invalid. Azubu can sign whatever contracts they want with Faker at the end of the day it all belongs to Riot and have they zero legal say in what happens. You and I can also can make any contracts that we like, doesn't mean it is any legit.

Everyone keeps saying it's invalid. If it were invalid then it wouldn't have happened. Welcome to the World of shit where companies have a bigger say over their product than you. Don't like it then play the game and become a key figure in said company. Work your ass off, nobody likes someone that complains and doesn't work to change it. If you guys don't like it then fix it and stop complaining.
    Hey everyone

Everyone keeps saying it's invalid. If it were invalid then it wouldn't have happened. Welcome to the World of shit where companies have a bigger say over their product than you. Don't like it then play the game and become a key figure in said company. Work your ass off, nobody likes someone that complains and doesn't work to change it. If you guys don't like it then fix it and stop complaining.
    Because it was invalid. It still happened and it happens all the time. I couldn't care less if the stream is up or down but I do care about you spouting utter nonsense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Once again for something trying to teach other about how the world works, you don't understand a damn thing of it.

Azubu had no ability to do anything to the stream. So they decided to reach out to Riot who can close any stream that streams their game down at will without needing a reason. Riot decided that they cared more about appeasing Azubu and showing how good of a pet dog they are.

You know how technically Blizzard can ban any WoW account they desire? Imagine it like that. They don't need a reason. Saying I'm "emotional" just shows you're unable to understand something very basic.
    Blizzard wouldn't ban your account without a reason, again if you're really that numb to not think Riot had a reason then holy fucking shit you do not understand business. If there were no reason to stop it they wouldn't have stopped it, there's a reason. Riot isn't going to be power hungry just because they can, that's a bad image presented on the company. They had a reason and they aren't giving it probably because they legally can't, there is something in the background that Riot can't do shit about because there are legalities mixed in with it, what it is we don't know nor will we ever.

It's the same thing with Game Grumps and not ever finding out why Jon left it, they can't explain it other because of legalities.
    Hey everyone

10+ Year Old Account
    The reason was already told to you many times.

Because it would please Azubu. That was their reason for the entire thing.
    Holy fuck you actually believe that? O.o
    Hey everyone

Deleted
    That DMCA Takedown would not hold up in any court, I can guarantee you that. It was 100% invalid and illegal and issuing the takedown notice itself was in violation of the DMCA itself.

Blizzard wouldn't ban your account without a reason,
    They probably wouldnt, however if you read the TOS, they can ban your account at any time, without reason, since they technically own everything. You're simply paying to use it.