Tanking Heroic Kromag

I've been the cause of my raids wipes quite of few times due to Slam. The first night my RL told me to run out as far as possible and run back in after the slam was over this would cause me to randomly drop sometimes though. So the next time we had a different approach. Simply if your the one currently tanking Kromag only you run out and the one tanking him simply pops a CD and tanks the Slam. Problem is after Shield Wall and Last Stand I'm out of CDs and would have to rely on an external which I hate doing because if I forget to call for it I'm dead.

Last night I went into a Heroic Kromag pug and we one shot it while I was DPS, it was a monk tank and paladin tank and they didn't communicate at all, meaning no external CDs were needed, so what the hell am I doing wrong?

For some reason, Kromog's Slam seems to do more damage to Warrior tanks it seems than others. In any case, we are well-suited to deal with it.

If you are at 0-1 stacks of Warped Armor, you can simply run and head back in when necessary, it won't instagib you at 1 stack. At 2+ stacks, you will need to either heroic leap away from Kromog, Intervene to a person that's in a safe place, or pop Shield Wall / ask for external.

The only thing you have to worry about when you heroic leap out is if you decide to charge back in, watch out for the reverberations.
    Last edited by ablock87; 2015-02-23 at 07:36 AM.

Wow. Are prot warrior tanks in that bad of a place they can't survive the 2nd stack of warped armor with a personal? holy fuck.
    Khadgar: Prepare to heroically CTRL-E through the portal with me!

Quote Originally Posted by Hooky View Post
    yeah wow cool..how about raising the valor cap consider WoD isn't that far away? 1000 valor points gets u a lollipop and kick in the nutsack these days! Back in my day we could get a bucket of candy and a pet ferret with that sort of points!
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    QUICKLY FRIENDS, TO THE HYPERBOLEMOBILE!

Quote Originally Posted by Doomchicken View Post
    Wow. Are prot warrior tanks in that bad of a place they can't survive the 2nd stack of warped armor with a personal? holy fuck.
    It hits pretty hard at 2 stacks, even if you get about 10 yards away, but that is without personals. Shield Wall will protect you from slam, but you should still try to minimize the damage you take, and shield wall can only help you for 1 slam every 2 minutes, and you should probably save your defensive's for his auto attacks once you hit 2 warped armor (especially when he is enraged.)

Quote Originally Posted by ablock87 View Post
    For some reason, Kromog's Slam seems to do more damage to Warrior tanks it seems than others. In any case, we are well-suited to deal with it.

If you are at 0-1 stacks of Warped Armor, you can simply run and head back in when necessary, it won't instagib you at 1 stack. At 2+ stacks, you will need to either heroic leap away from Kromog, Intervene to a person that's in a safe place, or pop Shield Wall / ask for external.

The only thing you have to worry about when you heroic leap out is if you decide to charge back in, watch out for the reverberations.
    So even if I'm currently tanking the boss I can leap away from him? Nothing bad will happen if I'm not back in range asap?

Quote Originally Posted by Kahmal View Post
    So even if I'm currently tanking the boss I can leap away from him? Nothing bad will happen if I'm not back in range asap?
    Even if you are tanking him, it's fine to leap away and charge back in. He will just kind of sit there for a second after the slam cast, plus, his hitbox is massive, so even if you leap away, you will only be outside his auto attack range for at most 1 second. Just watch the reverbs on the way back in.

Deleted
    Yes. I take Anger management and the heroic leap cd reduction glyph on that fight it makes so heroic leap is ready for every slam. When the boss starts casting Slam you just leap away, and then charge back in. After a couple of tries you'll get used to it.

Also. I used to die A LOT on that fight. But my co-tank is a brewmaster monk so we came up with this trick where he puts on his PvP4 set and then whenever he uses Guard, it automatically puts Guard on closest target, which is me. I've described it here: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...0#post32324590 and as you can see from the logs here: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...aling&source=5 those guards did more healing to me than ALL MY SPELLS COMBINED. And even tho I still do leap away on every slam, those guards REALLY help.

When he was using his regular gear he was doing about 23k dps, 20k hps on the fight, and I was doing about 25k dps and about 1k hps. When he put on his guard his dps fell down by 1k, his hps fell down by ~6k but MY hps went up by about 12k resulting in 13k hps.

I know - it's crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kruman View Post
    Yes. I take Anger management and the heroic leap cd reduction glyph on that fight it makes so heroic leap is ready for every slam. When the boss starts casting Slam you just leap away, and then charge back in. After a couple of tries you'll get used to it.

Also. I used to die A LOT on that fight. But my co-tank is a brewmaster monk so we came up with this trick where he puts on his PvP4 set and then whenever he uses Guard, it automatically puts Guard on closest target, which is me. I've described it here: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...0#post32324590 and as you can see from the logs here: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...aling&source=5 those guards did more healing to me than ALL MY SPELLS COMBINED. And even tho I still do leap away on every slam, those guards REALLY help.

When he was using his regular gear he was doing about 23k dps, 20k hps on the fight, and I was doing about 25k dps and about 1k hps. When he put on his guard his dps fell down by 1k, his hps fell down by ~6k but MY hps went up by about 12k resulting in 13k hps.

I know - it's crazy.
    No not crazy at all. No guide I read said it was required for me to take freaking Slams to face by just CDing them. So I knew something was up. Tyvm all.

Deleted
    No not crazy at all. No guide I read said it was required for me to take freaking Slams to face by just CDing them. So I knew something was up. Tyvm all.
    hehe, yeah just leap away or intervene to something out of range it's pretty simple basically just leap, turn around, and use charge instantly. Just watch out for the reverberations.

And I meant crazy about the monk guard doing > all my absorbs+heals

Also little tip for that fight. When the runes of grasping earth appears, I don't go "into" any rune. I just thunderclap the biggest cluster, then use dragon roar on all of them, and when the boss starts casting the koncup i just charge down to nay rune and launch bladestorm on all of them. This way I'm almost always 3rd dmg dealer on the runes. Helps a lot.

Noob question from a healer: can slam be sidestepped by the current tank? Or is it not a frontal cone?

I don't use CDs or even externals for slam at all, his regular attacks with warped armor are much more deadly. I'd save CDs for when you're tanking and have high stacks, and right after a breath, when your healers have to heal the raid. Slam is easy as a warrior. Just intervene or leap out and charge back in after the slam hits. Even if you don't charge/leap there is enough time to run away. You don't need to move that far for slam. If you're so far away and still dying like you said, then you might be bugging it somehow. I barely move 20 yards and it hits pretty weak. Also, shield block mitigates it (I think? Don't have the logs anymore to double check), so don't have your back turned when it hits, just strafe.
    Last edited by HitpointSC; 2015-02-23 at 04:45 PM.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hey there Kahmal, do you have any log files from when you were tanking?

Deleted
    Slam picks the point that the tanks were at at the beginning of the cast and uses that to calculate the damage it deals. Basically heroic leap away from one and intervene away from the other. You can consistently take only 60k hits before absorption on Mythic this way