Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    Selling game time tokens for in-game gold heavily stimulates inflation by providing a big incentive for making that in-game gold (including and predominantly out of thin air).
    Based on economic principles:

Inflation happens when money supply increases. If people started generating more gold in order to purchase these tokens then yes, it would have an inflationary effect. Gold accumulated on the AH/trade with other players does not contribute to inflation.

We've had this "debate" before. You believe that it is certain that a lot of people will be highly incentivised to sink hours into grinding gold and/or employ cheats to generate gold in order to save a few dollars. You are entitled to that opinion. But you do need to acknowledge that your assumptions are just that - assumptions. Stop arguing as if they are fact.

Will some people put a lot of effort into/cheat to generate a bunch of gold? Yes, of course. WoW has 10 Million players, someone is bound to do it.
    Will it be enough people to cause the kind of inflation you are predicting? Indeterminate - but highly unlikely that it will be at the level of the most extreme prediction (unless that extreme prediction was coming from someone much smarter than his opponents).

In short: I accept your argument as a "worst case scenario" but absolutely not anywhere close to "most likely outcome".

10+ Year Old Account
    I sure hope it's coming sooner than later. Blizzard is sure taking their sweet time with.. well, everything. -_-

Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    In short: I accept your argument as a "worst case scenario" but absolutely not anywhere close to "most likely outcome".
    Yes, we have talked about this before.

FWIW, in my opinion, the worst case scenario - which looks pretty real at the moment given 6.1, no news on 6.2, etc - is this: Blizzard add these tokens and they don't make any effect at all because people are leaving the game in droves, nobody cares much about the game and, by extension, about game time. It's somewhat similar to how no flying could have been a big issue, but isn't, because there is next to nothing to fly to. I know that some would disagree, including with the parallel to no flying, so I underline again that this is my opinion, not a fact, etc, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, Blizzard have recently said they will be adding microtransactions to D3 (in Asia, but there's little doubt this will sooner or later spread to US / EU, "by popular demand", of course):

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/top...0220920?page=1

...so, they will likely add game time tokens to WoW, too. Because why not, let's add more ways to pay for when subs will start failing hard. Not a bad plan, don't get me wrong, and, yes, they are a business, bla bla, just saying what the big picture is.

Disappointing. One of the few things they could have added into 6.1 to actually make it worth while and it turns out it didn't make the cut for 6.1. Seems like they just pushed off any real work until 6.2. Here is hoping there is a Lot of stuff in 6.2, because we certainly need it after the launch and 6.1 and their lack of new content.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    It's somewhat similar to how no flying could have been a big issue, but isn't, because there is next to nothing to fly to.
    So true. I honestly believe that is why no flying hasn't caused that big of an uproar. To put it simply, there is no reason to leave the garrison. There is nothing that youd want to fly to even. The new world boss is useless for anyone raiding normals, profession mats are so abundant that they are nearly free on the ah and anywhere you could need to be, an ah, org or a bank is either in your garrison or a portal away.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    Disappointing. One of the few things they could have added into 6.1 to actually make it worth while and it turns out it didn't make the cut for 6.1. Seems like they just pushed off any real work until 6.2. Here is hoping there is a Lot of stuff in 6.2, because we certainly need it after the launch and 6.1 and their lack of new content.

- - - Updated - - -

So true. I honestly believe that is why no flying hasn't caused that big of an uproar. To put it simply, there is no reason to leave the garrison. There is nothing that youd want to fly to even. The new world boss is useless for anyone raiding normals, profession mats are so abundant that they are nearly free on the ah and anywhere you could need to be, an ah, org or a bank is either in your garrison or a portal away.
    Are you even in the right thread bro?