Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Can't tell if serious
    He's as serious as AIDS

- - - Updated - - -

Flu vaccines never were 100% guaranteed - that said I doubt you got the flu, probably more common cold
    To be fair, a cold doesn't typically last 2 weeks and this year's vaccine was only 23% effective. He could very well have the flu, which doesn't mean you should not get the shot every year.
    /\ Was this sarcasm? Are you sure?
    || Read it again, I'll wait.
    || The results may surprise you.

7+ Year Old Account
    This isn't a vaccine. It's a possible cure (or a step along the way to a cure). A vaccine is something given to a person without the disease to prevent them from getting it in the first place. A vaccine does nothing for a person already infected.

I am aware nor did I suggest so, what I did suggest is that the contributing factor as why HIV is so rife in Africa is because of education, culture and the government.
    You also said it was beyond hope, despite HIV treatment in Africa actually improving.

http://mg.co.za/article/2011-11-21-a...-hiv-treatment

Africa is a continent generally in need of help. But it is not beyond help and it is not beyond hope. Nor can the second largest continent on earth be summed up so simply as it often is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't tell if serious
    Im not just positive he is serious.

Im HIV positive.

i know, i know, im going to hell. Really though this is a big step. Bi-annual shot basically? Can only hope it keeps progressing.
    #JusticeForRucati
    PSN: Iskalla74, inv for Destiny if you need help

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    You also said it was beyond hope, despite HIV treatment in Africa actually improving.

http://mg.co.za/article/2011-11-21-a...-hiv-treatment

Africa is a continent generally in need of help. But it is not beyond help and it is not beyond hope. Nor can the second largest continent on earth be summed up so simply as it often is.
    It's still far behind than other large continents despite the massive amount of support it receives, why?

Inb4 it costs 10 thousand bucks.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xenogear3 View Post
    I had a flu vaccine 1 month ago.
    Then I got a big flu 2 weeks later. I am still sick today.

So much for the vaccine.
    I got the flu vaccine, went to central america, got the flu there. There flu vaccine is not guaranteed, and only protects for the most common strains in the area you are in. For instance I most likely wasn't vaccinated against a common strain in central America.

Also, unless you're regularly engaging in sexual intercourse with another male, the incidence of you "getting" AIDS is very low. AIDS is VERY different from the flu. That or needle sharing. Female to male sexual transference is possible, but rare.

In other words, you didn't catch the flu from the vaccine, you got it from something else. The people who actually do get the flu itself from a vaccine get a very weak version that only seems like a minor cold.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    Also, unless you're regularly engaging in sexual intercourse with another male, the incidence of you "getting" AIDS is very low. AIDS is VERY different from the flu. That or needle sharing. Female to male sexual transference is possible, but rare.
    Most transmission of HIV worldwide is through heterosexual acts. The reason people say that homosexual sex is more risky is because anal sex is more likely to spread the disease, but is going to be equally likely to cause infection whether one or both participants are male. Transmission through penile-vaginal intercourse is less likely, and by a significant amount (25% or more), but is far from rare.

It's still far behind than other large continents despite the massive amount of support it receives, why?
    That's an incredibly complicated question, but the immediate issues are largely the after shocks of colonialism. That being said, the situation in Africa is hardly uniform.

Next: fundamentalists become antivaxxers en masse to protest these efforts to interfere with HIV's God-given duty of killing gay people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't tell if serious
    Of course i'm serious. Trolling isn't allowed here. I shure woudlnt' be one of the first people in line for it. I'm not exactly high risk at this point in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by SL1200 View Post
    Of course i'm serious. Trolling isn't allowed here. I shure woudlnt' be one of the first people in line for it. I'm not exactly high risk at this point in my life.
    This vaccine doesn't include the virus.

Actually I don't know if that even qualifies it as a vaccine, per se, since in the article they describe it as having vaccine-like qualities.

10+ Year Old Account
    Would it really be an issue in having annual 6 month vaccines? Flu vaccines only last 12 months
    No. Flu vaccines last much longer than that (probably years, if not permanently). It's just that the strain you were vaccinated against last year has gone out of style for this year, hence the need for a new vaccination.

Though there are efforts to develop a vaccine that would coffer immunity to all strains of the flu.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

People pay $10k+ to get a shot, and get AIDS two months later.

Guess what? It is a new type of AIDS.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xenogear3 View Post
    People pay $10k+ to get a shot, and get AIDS two months later.

Guess what? It is a new type of AIDS.
    Didn't they mention the gene therapy specifically targeting a part of the HIV virus that has difficulty adapting?

Deleted
    People still don't understand you can't catch AIDS /le sigh

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    siiiigh.

You know Africa isn't one endless shit hole right?
    No, but to be fair, there are an awful lot of shit holes in Africa.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!