Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

Mastery over MS at this point (personal question- might help others)

Morning

Today is THE DAY we been waiting for! I know Mastery will be better for 2+ targets in BRF but at what point do I start to gem and enchant for it? SimC blue screens my new PC and I refuse to run it anymore. Here is my character-

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Pizz/advanced

I have normal Warforged Tier shoulders that have Mastery built in as well as the BoE plate helm but I might leave the helm alone for the STR current one has. Am I at the point for Mastery gems and enchants as of today? With current lucky Mythic Imp shoulders or with WF Tier on? I would be in your debt and buy you lunch if you get bored today and want to run a SimC on me or just give your .02 on the subject. It would really help me a lot in my quest for H Furnace this week.

Thanks in advance

Pizz

- - - Updated - - -

Plus this might be a stupid question but my other weapon option is H Ko'ragh mace with a socket. IF UH is very gear dependent, does that override Weapon damage in terms of secondary stats? Have all that MS and no Mastery on weapon and sacrifice weapon damage and some STR? This is of course IF MS is the top choice for me at my gear set up
    Percocetz Aeirie Peak Alliance- because im a F'n WEREWOLF!
    Filthy Casual

If simcraft crashes your machine, you have a hardware problem. Try running a CPU stress benchmark like prime95 with the same number of threads as simcraft and see if that crashes it too-- if it does, time to RMA your brand-new computer.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    blood dk 2pc is very strong since you get high uptime on vamp blood. If your healers cant keep you up in bosses which hit hard (example hc blackhand/kromog with your current progress) go for mastery, if you feel your healers can keep you up stay with multistrike gems/enchants.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    If simcraft crashes your machine, you have a hardware problem. Try running a CPU stress benchmark like prime95 with the same number of threads as simcraft and see if that crashes it too-- if it does, time to RMA your brand-new computer.
    TRUST ME its not a hardware issue. Not gonna get into a spec war but I have a i7 4790k @4.8 with GTX 970 Sli 16G Sniper 2133 on a HERO VII Z97 board. I am not risking any of my parts to run a sim...

@ ebah. THis is for UH DPS not blood... I only go blood for insta H daily Q

here is my LTT profile with all my hardware-
    http://linustechtips.com/main/user/52022-anthonyc813/

back to original subject- do I stay with MS or go Mastery? I really wanna shine tonight with the NP buff
    Last edited by Piz813; 2015-02-24 at 05:41 PM. Reason: added facts
    Filthy Casual

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Piz813 View Post
    TRUST ME its not a hardware issue. Not gonna get into a spec war but I have a i7 4790k @4.8 with GTX 970 Sli 16G Sniper 2133 on a HERO VII Z97 board. I am not risking any of my parts to run a sim...

@ ebah. THis is for UH DPS not blood... I only go blood for insta H daily Q

here is my LTT profile with all my hardware-
    http://linustechtips.com/main/user/52022-anthonyc813/

back to original subject- do I stay with MS or go Mastery? I really wanna shine tonight with the NP buff

Of course it's an issue with your computer.

Mine and everyone elses works fine with Sim.

Quote Originally Posted by Antenora View Post
    Of course it's an issue with your computer.

Mine and everyone elses works fine with Sim.
    Pretty much this. His previous comment claiming it wasn't made me face palm.

If it's crashing, it is obviously a hardware issue. Something in your superawesome brand new computer is probably overheating.

If you built it yourself, you should have burnt in the parts after the initial build, stress-testing the CPU (prime95), GPU (furmark or the like) and memory (prime95 blended and memtest86) for a couple hours each. If it ever crashes, you have a hardware problem. You're overclocking too high, or undervolting for the overclock, or your heatsink was installed improperly, or the cooling solution is unsufficient (although in modern parts the CPU will usually just underclock rather than overheating) or you have a defective part.
    Last edited by Schizoide; 2015-02-24 at 06:00 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Jesus fuck.... can we stop with the hard ware bull shit please. I ran Prime for 9 hours and have a H100i. My CPU has never seen over 41* Firestrike extreme and normal tests to. I can play BF4, DA:I, WoW, and every other shit game out there for over 20 hours no problem. SimC is the only thing that fucks my shit up and it only started to with the .26 newest release a few weeks ago. Did not have this problem in January at all. I simmed everyone who asked in guild.

Anyways, back to the MS vs Mast question- can anyone provide advice?
    Filthy Casual

So the previous version doesn't crash your computer? What's the bluescreen message?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    So the previous version doesn't crash your computer? What's the bluescreen message?
    Its a blue screen with a ton of white words... honestly I have no idea. I just forced a restart every time it happened after I panic'd. Nothing else I run or do on my PC has ever given me any sort of issue. Just the newest version of SimC...
    Filthy Casual

Jesus fuck.... can we stop with the hard ware bull shit please. I ran Prime for 9 hours and have a H100i. My CPU has never seen over 41* Firestrike extreme and normal tests to. I can play BF4, DA:I, WoW, and every other shit game out there for over 20 hours no problem. SimC is the only thing that fucks my shit up and it only started to with the .26 newest release a few weeks ago. Did not have this problem in January at all. I simmed everyone who asked in guild.

Anyways, back to the MS vs Mast question- can anyone provide advice?
    BSODs are system/hardware related issues. If there is nothing wrong with your hardware or their drivers Simcraft would NOT cause a BSOD, even if Simcraft has an underlying issue. If Simcraft had an underlying issue it would simply crash to desktop, freeze, etc, but you would NOT get a BSOD. Also, stress tests are never a guarantee that there is no issue, ever. No matter what you say, or how much you try to defend your new PC, it does have an issue. The fact that Simcraft causes your PC to BSOD is a blessing for you because it's bringing to light an issue you did not know you had. While this isn't a troubleshooting thread, I would be glad to help you. The first thing you need to do is set your PC to not restart on a BSOD. Right click Computer, click Properties, click Advanced System Settings, click Settings under Startup and Recovery, and uncheck Automatically Restart under System Failure. Now, when you get a BSOD, write down the error code it gives (The second line, typically all caps with underscores). Bring the error code back and we will work from there.
    Last edited by v1rus; 2015-02-24 at 07:33 PM.

Exactly right, v1rus. We need the bluescreen code.

@Piz813: You just paid a lot of money for that computer, don't you want to fix the problem?

Deleted
    Wait a minute here - do you spec Necrotic Plague when you tank by any chance?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by v1rus View Post
    BSODs are system/hardware related issues. If there is nothing wrong with your hardware or their drivers Simcraft would NOT cause a BSOD, even if Simcraft has an underlying issue. If Simcraft had an underlying issue it would simply crash to desktop, freeze, etc, but you would NOT get a BSOD. Also, stress tests are never a guarantee that there is no issue, ever. No matter what you say, or how much you try to defend your new PC, it does have an issue. The fact that Simcraft causes your PC to BSOD is a blessing for you because it's bringing to light an issue you did not know you had. While this isn't a troubleshooting thread, I would be glad to help you. The first thing you need to do is set your PC to not restart on a BSOD. Right click Computer, click Properties, click Advanced System Settings, click Settings under Startup and Recovery, and uncheck Automatically Restart under System Failure. Now, when you get a BSOD, write down the error code it gives (The second line, typically all caps with underscores). Bring the error code back and we will work from there.
    it never did a auto restart. I did it manually. I will run a sim after work and see if it crashes again and take a pic of what I see

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RantHippo View Post
    Wait a minute here - do you spec Necrotic Plague when you tank by any chance?
    no. frost was my main spec for years and i got a blood spec for instant H ques and 50 resources. perhaps I should of said UH DPS somewhere in my original post cause you are the 2nd person to ask a tanking question
    Filthy Casual

to answer your original question, with your current gear setup its hard to say. your mastery is pretty high so my personal opinion would be to go mastery. single target multistrike will pull ahead, for longer aoe heavy fights mastery will be better due to the higher ticks, but there is alot of theorycrafting going on that say multistrikes will cancel that out anyway. what its coming down to at the moment is higher steady damage is better than rng on multistrikes but we cant say for sure. skullflower has alot of great sims out there showing the breakdown so i advise you read his guide, but keep in mind sims are in a perfect world with basically a 99% perfect rotation. see what works for you. I will be staying multistrike until i can get a full mastery set and then test it out, but im already at 31.5% multistrike unbuffed so im not going to regem and reenchant just for a few hundred extra mastery when my gear wont really support that build.

im also assuming youre going NP by your post, but if youre ever going to be running defile stick with multi>mastery

Deleted
    Ignore my comment Pizz - I was trying to make a joke at your expense - which wasn't very funny (in retrospect)

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Opkorean View Post
    to answer your original question, with your current gear setup its hard to say. your mastery is pretty high so my personal opinion would be to go mastery. single target multistrike will pull ahead, for longer aoe heavy fights mastery will be better due to the higher ticks, but there is alot of theorycrafting going on that say multistrikes will cancel that out anyway. what its coming down to at the moment is higher steady damage is better than rng on multistrikes but we cant say for sure. skullflower has alot of great sims out there showing the breakdown so i advise you read his guide, but keep in mind sims are in a perfect world with basically a 99% perfect rotation. see what works for you. I will be staying multistrike until i can get a full mastery set and then test it out, but im already at 31.5% multistrike unbuffed so im not going to regem and reenchant just for a few hundred extra mastery when my gear wont really support that build.

im also assuming youre going NP by your post, but if youre ever going to be running defile stick with multi>mastery
    yes I and going full on NP as of today cause asshole tanks just love to move shit out of my Defile... I had one guy run a sim on me and of course for Gruul MS and Defile but every other fight, NP with be better for me in this set up now without switching shoulders or helm around. You have a point with spending 6-8k on blue gems and enchants to gain 500 DPS.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RantHippo View Post
    Ignore my comment Pizz - I was trying to make a joke at your expense - which wasn't very funny (in retrospect)
    lol fucker! i knew you were trolling me!
    <3
    Filthy Casual

yes I and going full on NP as of today cause asshole tanks just love to move shit out of my Defile... I had one guy run a sim on me and of course for Gruul MS and Defile but every other fight, NP with be better for me in this set up now without switching shoulders or helm around. You have a point with spending 6-8k on blue gems and enchants to gain 500 DPS.
    yep, basically that. its very pricey unless you load up on gems and enchanting mats yourself, and even then youll probably want to wait until you get an upgrade. now if your livelihood depends on being min/max'ed then i would say stay go mastery just because of your current gear, otherwise id stay how you are until get start to upgrade your gear.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Opkorean View Post
    yep, basically that. its very pricey unless you load up on gems and enchanting mats yourself, and even then youll probably want to wait until you get an upgrade. now if your livelihood depends on being min/max'ed then i would say stay go mastery just because of your current gear, otherwise id stay how you are until get start to upgrade your gear.
    OK thank you. Thing is I am going on a trial tonight and really wanna shine. They plan on 9/10H tonight and I wanna be the best I can on H furnace.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/ranking...test#bracket=4

I don't say I am the best DK in the world or top 100 material, but I know I'm not a shit player either. If I can do better today then I did last night, it would help my quest for Mythic BRF. Thank you for the blunt answer I was seeking.

Now for my other problem.... I will run SimC until it blows up and post what I see

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sorry for snapping. I get defensive with my beloved PC. All us addicts get bitchy and in denial when someone calls us out on our bull shit then we get time to think and calm down.

- - - Updated - - -

OK I was able to run SimC a few times with no issues. Had all case fans cranked up while doing it so the CPU heat is a runner up for the problem cause the fans all kicked on when I hit Simulate...

To answer my own question- do not go Mastery yet. with current gear and new H Helm off Furnace (was able to get it ) it shows MS 2k more, Not changing anything at this time. Thank you all for the replies and help
    Filthy Casual

Simcraft uses all your CPU cores,. so I would expect the fans to crank up-- question is what temperature your CPU got to during the run. Anyway, happy it worked for you.