Thread: iMac

iMac

Just purchased the 27 inch iMac with the i5 3.4ghz processor. The memory card is the AMD with 2gigs on board and 8 gigs independent. Is this plenty of power to run the game at max settings and if so, what resolution? This friggen screen is huge and I feel like maxing out the resolution is going to be hard on the system.

Would adding another 8gigs ram help out or just be overkill at this point?

Your thoughts are most appreciated.

You already bought it, so install wow and see first hand how it runs.
    :::: AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d w/ NZXT Kraken Elite 240
    :::: MSI Meg X670E Tomahawk
    :::: 32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 6000mt/s CL36 DDR5
    :::: Samsung 512gb 960 PRO m.2 nvme ssd (OS), Samsung 1TB 950 EVO ssd
    :::: Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
    :::: Windows 11 Pro

Well I did, but I was just worried about running it at to high of settings and to be honest, this is my first mac. When I do into settings it would seem that it chose all of the lowest settings by default. I dont know if that is because it is a mac or because thats what blizzard thinks it can run.

You're not going to be able to run it anywhere close to ultra at 5K, regardless of which mobile GPU is in there. You'll need to either run at low settings or bump your resolution down to 2560x1440 and run at ultra for an even 4:1 pixel ratio which will avoid downsampling fuzziness.

Out of curiosity though, which GPU is in it? If it's the M290X, that thing is about as powerful as a $100 7850, you're not going to get really far in any type of gaming, especially at 5K.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

15+ Year Old Account
    What the fuck are you talking about 5k for? The resolution is 1440p.

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

10+ Year Old Account
    Notably, a 5k screen requires 8x the gpu power of a 1080p screen (2mil vs 15mil)... Even on a game like WoW, thats a lot of stuff to drive.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Notably, a 5k screen requires 8x the gpu power of a 1080p screen (2mil vs 15mil)... Even on a game like WoW, thats a lot of stuff to drive.
    I just wanted to finish this post up with my experience. I am able to log in and run the game at about 55fps with most everything maxed out, most likely could max everything out I just don't see the benefit to some of them.

Hope this helps anyone else who is running the iMac. Add in some more ram and the game may run even quicker. Thanks for the help all.

On the highest iMac model you can run WoW at Ultra settings. I've seen it done.

That being said, it's expensive as fuck.

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    On the highest iMac model you can run WoW at Ultra settings. I've seen it done.

That being said, it's expensive as fuck.
    Are you sure the resolution wasn't scaled down? I've seen it run well on "good" settings at 2560x1440 (1/2 the 5k resolution). I can tell you first hand that there is no way it will run on ultra at 5k with playable frame rates (+30)
    :::: AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d w/ NZXT Kraken Elite 240
    :::: MSI Meg X670E Tomahawk
    :::: 32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 6000mt/s CL36 DDR5
    :::: Samsung 512gb 960 PRO m.2 nvme ssd (OS), Samsung 1TB 950 EVO ssd
    :::: Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
    :::: Windows 11 Pro

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyi View Post
    I just wanted to finish this post up with my experience. I am able to log in and run the game at about 55fps with most everything maxed out, most likely could max everything out I just don't see the benefit to some of them.

Hope this helps anyone else who is running the iMac. Add in some more ram and the game may run even quicker. Thanks for the help all.
    Help us get this clarified. Do you have the Retina iMac or not?

You mention a Radeon GPU ( = the retina mac) but at the same time you say "It's the i5 3.4 GHz". The model with 3.4GHz specifically listed is not the Retina one, and will require substantionally less GPU oomph.

http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/imac