Boosting right pets.

As someone who never actually leveled his pets before i'm happy that i'm given a free pass now with the instant level 25 pet boosts (1 pet each level 100)

Since atm i've got 5 of those boosts (and will probably get a few more) was wondering if someone got a list of common pets one should focus on upgrading first ?
    (Possibly in sets of teams)

Here's a good website for Warcraft Battle Pets - Warcraftpets.com

It has a list of the top 20 rated battle pets to use and I'm sure you can find team-based sets there too.

As far as great pets are concerned, a few that come to mind are:

-Emerald Proto-whelp
    -Anubisath Idol
    -Kun-lai Runt
    -Unborn Val'kyr
    -Chrominius
    -Pandaren Water Spirit
    -Scourged Whelpling
    -Nexus Whelpling

One team that is a sure one to have is called something like the "Howl Bomb" team. Mine consists of:

-Landros Lichling (Lil KT or Unborn Valk would work here too, among others - has to have Curse of Doom and should be used on its last death immunity turn)
    -Pandaren Water Spirit (Put this in 2nd after the Lich dies and use Geyser, then Whirlpool)
    -Chrominius (Switch this in and use Howl first, and if the pet survives the bomb that just went off on it, finish it off with Surge of Power the following turn)

If you did it correctly, the pet that you put a Curse of Doom, a Geyser, and a Whirlpool on, will have all exploded while it takes 100% extra damage from Howl.
    Last edited by TheWorkingTitle; 2015-02-24 at 07:58 PM.

Thank you, i remember using it back in Wotlk/cata, but I guess haven't touched it much since MoP, so was under impression that it still focuses on collecting (i remember on ratings all of the "cool" pets used to be top)

Also, i have Lil KT + Chrominius, but are there any substitutes for pandaren water spirit ?

15+ Year Old Account
    There is no substitute for the water spirit, it is a beast of a pet that can be used in a variety of situations. I can't confirm right now, but you can probably buy a PWS for 5k. good investment, unless you can scrap together a team to beat the pandaren spirits.

A few more for your list that I get miles of use from are

Flayer Youngling S/S is my preference, with the speed of S/S blitz and kick along with deflection makes this a dragon slaying monster.
    Tranquil Mechanical Yeti gives you a big boom from Ion Cannon and bonus mech damage from call lightning. Plus it's crafted so gather the mats and get it on the cheap.
    Crow/Ravens are always good to have Call Darkness+Nocturnal Strike tears through aqua pets.
    Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling is another great crafted mech that is versatile. Decoy to save a couple rounds of damage, Thunderbolt for back line strikes.
    Any good s/? rabbit is always useful to avoid predictable large damage situations with burrow and dodge, the throw down some damage from flurry.
    Some sort of fox. This kinda ties back into a bomb team, basically a fox's job is to use dazzling dance and howl right before the fox itself is killed. From there a big hitter comes in and does massive burst damage. Good options here are spiders with brittle webbing+spiderling swarm which bypasses the damage cap magicals/fabled gets, or you could use the fox to set up Ion Cannon from the Yeti mentioned above.

That's 8 pets that definitely should be added to your roster. Along with the list TheWorkingTitle has, you'll have a strong start at defeating any of the NPC's out there. With that list I can really only see you struggling in a few areas such as the celestial tournament and the occasional pet menagerie daily.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWorkingTitle View Post
    -Anubisath Idol
    That is my new favourite.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobaltblue View Post
    That is my new favourite.
    I like him, too, but holy cow Anubisath fights can take forever. His miss rate is so high, but generally speaking he takes so little damage and has that bit of self-healing, that if you are unlucky with his misses some fights can go on for turns and turns, lol. I find him more useful for deflect and sandstorm than actually killing anything directly himself!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by celinamuna View Post
    As someone who never actually leveled his pets before i'm happy that i'm given a free pass now with the instant level 25 pet boosts (1 pet each level 100)

Since atm i've got 5 of those boosts (and will probably get a few more) was wondering if someone got a list of common pets one should focus on upgrading first ?
    (Possibly in sets of teams)
    Also, Celina, if you want a pet duo that will help you carry a pet through all the Draenor Trainer fights (essentially allowing you to get a new level 25 every day, in six fights), Sprite Darter Hatchling and Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling are a good combo for that. I did some collecting in early MoP but then ignored pet battles for 2 years so I didn't have much to battle with when WoD began, and this combo was useful to me for the first week or so til I got enough pets to go kill the Spirits for a Pandaren Water Spirit and etc.

Somebody wrote up this guide on the WoW forums awhile back. I tried it a few times and it worked mostly, watch out for unlucky misses or crits and reset the fight if you need to. But it's a good way to level up pets if your pet stable is tiny, to use two of the freebie level 25 stones on these two pets. If you didn't get a Sprite Darter from the Feralas questing back in the day I'm pretty sure you can buy one on the AH, and the dragonling is engineering made.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/15353775980?page=1

7+ Year Old Account
    This are the pets that I consider: MUST HAVE

A pet with Decoy (Darkmoon Zepelin or Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling) + Pandaren Water Spirit + Chrominus for the "Howl bomb": geyser + whirpool + howl + sourge of power = istant kill every pet

HUMANOID
    Anubisath Idol for Sandstorm/Deflect can solo some Pet Master
    Flayer Youngling

UNDEAD:
    Unborn Val'kyr or a pet with Curse of Doom/Unholy Ascension
    Scourged Whelping

FLY:
    Imperial Eagle or Wildhammer Gryphon Hatchling (S/S)
    Teroclaw Hatchling
    Gilneas Raven/Crow or Dread Hatchling for combo: Call of Darkness/Nocturnal strike

DRAGONS:
    Nether Faerie Dragon
    Nexus Whelpling
    Emerald Proto-Whelp (with Darkmoon zeppeling/tonk can do also many Masters)

ACQUATIC
    A Frog or Crab

and: Moth/Fox/Bunny S/S are also very good
    Last edited by Tartys; 2015-04-02 at 03:27 PM.

I'd boost either an Anubisath Idol or an Emerald Drake. Those 2 are IMO the most powerful well rounded pets in the game.

You could also boost a P/S or P/P zandalari raptor which you can buy cheaply from the AH, because they very efficiently slaughter any and all critters with 0 downtime, which is very useful if you are planning on using your boosted pet to level up more pets.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tartys View Post
    This are the pets that I consider: MUST HAVE

A pet with Decoy (Darkmoon Zepelin or Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling) + Pandaren Water Spirit + Chrominus for the "Howl bomb": geyser + whirpool + howl + sourge of power = istant kill every pet

HUMANOID
    Anubisath Idol for Sandstorm/Deflect can solo some Pet Master
    Flayer Youngling

UNDEAD:
    Unborn Val'kyr or a pet with Curse of Doom/Unholy Ascension
    Scourged Whelping

FLY:
    Imperial Eagle or Wildhammer Gryphon Hatchling (S/S)
    Teroclaw Hatchling
    Gilneas Raven/Crow or Dread Hatchling for combo: Call of Darkness/Nocturnal strike

DRAGONS:
    Nether Faerie Dragon
    Nexus Whelpling
    Emerald Proto-Whelp (with Darkmoon zeppeling/tonk can do also many Masters)

ACQUATIC
    A Frog or Crab

and: Moth/Fox/Bunny S/S are also very good

Beast, I'd go for Darkmoon Cub, or any with Devour = healing.
    Mechanical, Son of Animus, no competition.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some pets there are extremely over rated. For instance, I absolutely LOVE when my opponents use Chrom or Unborn, I can easily shut them down.

Both of these pets have a very predictable move rotation.

Ghastly Kid for instance, will absolutely make Unborn utter garbage. I can literally kill Unborn with my Ghastly Kid with out taking a single point of damage.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vargur View Post
    Beast, I'd go for Darkmoon Cub, or any with Devour = healing.
    Mechanical, Son of Animus, no competition.
    Mechanical = Pandaran Dragonling IMO.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sengura View Post
    Some pets there are extremely over rated. For instance, I absolutely LOVE when my opponents use Chrom or Unborn, I can easily shut them down.

Both of these pets have a very predictable move rotation.

Ghastly Kid for instance, will absolutely make Unborn utter garbage. I can literally kill Unborn with my Ghastly Kid with out taking a single point of damage.

- - - Updated - - -

Mechanical = Pandaran Dragonling IMO.
    That has only one ability vs beast and it doesn't even heal. It's a niche pet, at best.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargur View Post
    That has only one ability vs beast and it doesn't even heal. It's a niche pet, at best.
    So? And Animus is ONLY good against beasts. I'd take the Dragonling any day. Animus is extremely easy to counter if you have any pet with a dodge/shield ability. They are very slow and almost always loses on the speed department. I've never had any issue fighting against one.

I'd say a Hydraling fills the tanky roll of the Animus a lot better.
    Last edited by Saverem; 2015-04-03 at 07:19 PM.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sengura View Post
    So? And Animus is ONLY good against beasts. I'd take the Dragonling any day. Animus is extremely easy to counter if you have any pet with a dodge/shield ability. They are very slow and almost always loses on the speed department. I've never had any issue fighting against one.

I'd say a Hydraling fills the tanky roll of the Animus a lot better.

wtf we're not talking about PetVsPet. It's bad enough we have actual PVP.