Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Do your tastes change as you get older?

I dont mean like drastically older. I know you lose your sense of taste as you get older. Im talking about for example all my life that I can remember I loved to eat crab legs and shrimp. But now Im 26 and I can barely eat a whole cluster of crab legs or some shrimp before im like nope cant do this. That certain iodine or I could be completely wrong the name of that chemical shellfish have. I cant stand the taste anymore. Anybody else have this happen?
    Semper Fi

Deleted
    When I was little I hated leeks. Now they're okay. Ive always like pizza and rice pudding though so IDK.

I eat less hot stuff now, still love my salt and stuff though.
    Less hot food may be due to hard times and having to eat the cheapest stuff I can get.

10+ Year Old Account
    I no longer enjoy very sweet food and I definitely used to as a kid. Even the "sweets" I enjoy are quite salty, like peanut butter pie.

Other than veering away from sweets, I have always liked savory and spicy and probably always will
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I do not have enough hands to apply enough palms to my face.

Deleted
    I hear/see a lot of people saying that they started to somewhat dislike very sweet stuff etc. when they got older.
    Personally, I can not relate to that. I still could coat myself in chocolate, live off it and be absolutely stoked.
    Last edited by mmocc02219cc8b; 2015-02-25 at 02:27 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have also started eating less sweets. Have no idea why but for me the "SWEET" part of cakes and candy etc..seem too intense now lol.

- - - Updated - - -

But it was just weird cause a year or two ago me and my wife would devour some crab legs and now im like damn that taste is way too intense.
    Semper Fi

Some. Will turn 30 this year. I can name a few examples:

- Energy drinks. I used to drink them a lot in my teenage/college days. Can't stomach them now. I tried a Monster pretty recently and wanted to puke.

- Pepsi. Another thing I used to drink in college (was in fact usually my go-to drink in those days) that I just don't like now.

- I don't eat fast food as much as I used to. I'll still occasionally have a craving for a McDonald's cheeseburger or something, but those are rare now. There was a period in college where I ate lunch at KFC almost every day (there's a KFC right next to my college).

- Incredibly hot foods. I still like spicy foods, but Frank's Red Hot is about my limit when it comes to heat levels now. I don't go for the "a fucking nuke just went off inside my mouth" hot stuff anymore.

Most of the above were just tastes that changed and not for any sort of diet/health reasons. I've been extremely lucky in that area, and I can pretty much eat whatever I want whenever I want. Although I did start having a lot of problems with reflux and such as I got older, so that was one reason for cutting back on the really hot stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuzzin View Post
    That certain iodine or I could be completely wrong the name of that chemical shellfish have. I cant stand the taste anymore. Anybody else have this happen?
    It's an iodine or ammonia odor, yes. And that means you're not getting fresh shrimp.

My tastes have certainly changed. I eat far more fruit and vegetables than I used to. I can't finish a cheeseburger. No idea if that's about getting older.
    Last edited by belfpala; 2015-02-25 at 02:46 AM.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    I stopped eating hard stuff like popcorn seeds or lots of ice. Too much dental work. Gone are the days of being able to take a huge bite out of an ice cream cone with pain from the cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Miley View Post
    I stopped eating hard stuff like popcorn seeds or lots of ice. Too much dental work. Gone are the days of being able to take a huge bite out of an ice cream cone with pain from the cold.

I drink mostly with a straw now, and no hot marshmellows those put me on the ground once

Used to eat a lot of sweet stuff, don't like sweets now.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean, between when I was a little kid and when I grew up? Sure.

As I grow older as an adult? Not really.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

10+ Year Old Account
    I think how I view food has changed more than my sense of taste. I was extremely picky when I was a kid when it came to food, only eating white bread with the Norwegian equivalent of Nutella, only eating a few select things for dinner and only drinking water, Coke or chocolate milk. But as I grew older I realized I could teach myself to like new stuff, like drinking coffee or eating vegetables. Just expose yourself enough to new food and you'll learn to like everything.

I really don't like eating candy or cake, but thinking about it I really never did. Only chocolate which has always given me a stomach ache if I ate too much.

I used to hate scotch whiskey. Now I enjoy it though I generally buy cheaper Canadian whiskeys.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, I used to hate wine, red peppers, and mushrooms. Now I love all three
    You're a towel.

Deleted
    appearently I loved potato salad back when I was very young.
    Later I couldn't stand it anymore.

These days if I even look so much at a potato I turn my room into a gaseous hell because my stomach doesn't like them at all.

Oh, and I loved fish when I was younger, but when I was 11 or something, an episode with a fishbone in my throat made me hate them

Oh, and while I used to hate certain dishes my mum made, these days I love them

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sahugani View Post

Oh, and I loved fish when I was younger, but when I was 11 or something, an episode with a fishbone in my throat made me hate them
    That is like the worst feeling in the world, having a fish bone stuck in your throat
    You're a towel.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    That is like the worst feeling in the world, having a fish bone stuck in your throat
    That's the fault of whoever cut the fish, not the fish itself.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    That's the fault of whoever cut the fish, not the fish itself.
    Yeah, learning to debone northerns properly was a huge milestone in my life
    You're a towel.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would say they do. I use to love eggs and now I hardly eat them. Same goes for spicy stuff, I use to hate spicy food, now I can't get enough spice. Same with veggies, as a kid I hated broccoli, cauliflower, green beans.. now I LOVE them, raw and cooked. I still don't like cucumbers though but I love pickles.