10+ Year Old Account

Looking for some help critiquing/Helping a warrior tank

Hey guys I am here looking for some advice to give our warrior tank, I've gone over talents and gear with him and he's generally on the right track for that, as far as I can tell. He's been significantly squishier and more spikey in HP than me (Blood DK Tank) throughout the expansion and we've typically been able to deal with it/work around it by me doing some extra stuff to mitigate the damage he needs to take.

With losing all of our core healers to other unrelated things his survivability is really bringing us down while we're trying to establish a new healer core. Unfortunately I'm not experienced enough with warriors or log digging to figure out what the major issues are, but I'm convinced that it's in the execution of the kit at this point.

Here's a link to tonights logs of heroic BRF: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/ABmz1LVrvyD4XQ8a

And in general a link to our logs overall, if you wanted more info to dig through: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/guilds/53770/

And finally a link to the armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rafaz/advanced

Thanks a lot for any help/advice you guys can offer!

10+ Year Old Account
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...s=-2&source=19
    These are his logs from just the boss fights

Right off the bat He is using Shield Barrier WAAAY to much compared to Shield block. Like insanely more. What I think he is doing is panicking when he starts to get hit hard and dumps rage into Shield Barrier. I used to be the same way.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...uras&source=16
    These are my logs all thought Not Perfect you can see my Shield Block uptime is around 33%. Closer to 50 % uptime is what your shooting for in Shield Block.

Also he seems to be enchanting for Crit. I like going for more mastery than Crit maybe give that a try and see what happens. Also Get the Blackrock Enchant on that Weapon extra bonus armor gona go a long way.

Like I said im not the BEST warrior tank but just at quick glance the shield barrier usage needs to come WAY down and Shield Block needs to be alot higher then what he is doing.
    326 Shield Barriers to his 83 Shield Blocks kinda scary

Deleted
    From quickly looking over the first log CptFatman linked there are alot of things he has to work on.

Talents:
    Replace Unyielding Strikes with Heavy Repercussions because dmg increase is insignificant for tanks and it sacrifices survivability by making the rotation overly complicated which causes more mistakes, also all the rage used on Heroic strike is better used to cast Shield block or shield barrier.
    Replace Mass spell reflection with Vigilance to help the other tank during heavy moments.
    He used Ravager 8 times during the whole raid which makes him waste that whole talent. Also majority of the fights in BRF and HM Glad stance passive is better (especially for him)

Abilities:
    As you said use Shield Block over Shield barrier. Ideally you should use Shield block whenever it comes off CD when you're actively tanking and use Shield barrier before predictable spike dmg and when shield block is down.
    He almost never uses his CDs, for example Demo shout has such a low CD you can ALMOST weave it into your rotation.
    He used prepot only 5 times during the raid which is not acceptable. He should use it twice during a boss. Once before the pull and another time during the fight.
    He should not be afraid to use Enraged Regeneration to lift some weight off healers.

Stats:
    The Mastery vs Crit is a subject which is fairly regularly discussed and there are more detailed lists out there, but I'll include a small list of what they do and which I prefer.

Mastery gives increased Block chance, Crit block chance and AP. It also increases amount absorbed by Shield barrier because it scales with AP. If you stack Mastery you will take generally more dmg but the dmg is much smoother compared to Crit. Smoother dmg is easier to controll and counter which makes it easier for the healers.
    Crit gives parry, more DPS, more rage gain. Stacking crit makes you take in general lower dmg but it's more spikey which puts more stress on the healers to use CDs and focus healing you after big spikes of dmg.

Personally I prefer and recommend going Mastery because tanking it not only about taking less dmg but also synergy with the raid and people around you and making their job easier to do.

Enchants:
    Depending on which stat he/you focus to go for he should stack that on all items. He should replace his current weapon enchant ASAP because Shattered hand doesnt help tanks survivability one bit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the input so far guys, I was under the impression that his shield barrier should be getting used more but it appears from further research and your posts that I was wildly wrong and with higher shield block uptime he'll be more consistent in the HP department. Any other feedback you or others can offer is greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev111 View Post
    Thanks for the input so far guys, I was under the impression that his shield barrier should be getting used more
    Really untrue since about MV in MOP if I recall the timing correctly.