Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ...
    Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thwart View Post
    My point was that Endus is the king of arguing semantics so he should absolutely be sure that he states his positions clearly.

Yes, sadly there is a huge difference between bad grammar and fundamentally misunderstanding evolution. It is far sadder and a clear indication of the poor education levels that native speakers of a language cannot form sentences correctly.
    *this is not a commentary on Endus as he is usually very good with spelling/grammar*
    And how is it that you've come to determine whether or not someone is a native speaker through this forum?

10+ Year Old Account
    My point was that Endus is the king of arguing semantics so he should absolutely be sure that he states his positions clearly.

Yes, sadly there is a huge difference between bad grammar and fundamentally misunderstanding evolution. It is far sadder and a clear indication of the poor education levels that native speakers of a language cannot form sentences correctly.
    *this is not a commentary on Endus as he is usually very good with spelling/grammar*
    Virtually everyone makes grammatical or spelling errors on occasion, even people who are very good at grammar and spelling. I, unfortunately, tend to use too many commas at times.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

15+ Year Old Account
    Rust, the adjective, is a color. See I have a vocabulary as well.

In his sentence, if using rust as a verb it was used improperly. It is being used as an object of a sentence, thus if referring to a verb it should have been "rusting"
    This is some fine irony after calling someone else out for being "the king of semantics".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Virtually everyone makes grammatical or spelling errors on occasion, even people who are very good at grammar and spelling. I, unfortunately, tend to use too many commas at times.
    Oh, yes, I tend to do that quite often, too. I suppose, the intention is to make written language appear more flowing, like spoken language. Of course, you usually end up sounding like Shatner.

Excessive commas, intended.
    "In life, I was raised to hate the undead. Trained to destroy them. When I became Forsaken, I hated myself most of all. But now I see it is the Alliance that fosters this malice. The human kingdoms shun their former brothers and sisters because we remind them what's lurking beneath the facade of flesh. It's time to end their cycle of hatred. The Alliance deserves to fall." - Lilian Voss

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    True, but Endus has a penchant for arguing against the semantics of a person's position rather than the content. I'm just holding him to his own standard.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    There are a lot of examples of evolution in the modern age (not really, but just follow me).

*Elephants are evolving to become tuskless, as most of the elephants with tusks are being hunted or are already killed, elephants are either selecting the males without tusks or the only elephants left are the tuskless ones.

*Fence Lizards evolving to run

*Anole

https://www.sciencenews.org/blog/wil...on-lizard-feet

Any other examples?
    The way a lot of people speak of evolution, much like you have worded yourself, implies that there's some force behind evolution. Elephants don't decide to stop growing tusks. What you're refering to is natural selection, which is the process of evolution. Elephants get with tusks get show, those without don't get shot, therefor those that survive are the ones without tusks and thus you will see less elepehants with tusks if that kind of selection is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    This is some fine irony after calling someone else out for being "the king of semantics".
    That was the entire point.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    The king of semantics ....

Rust is a compound - iron oxide - not a chemical reaction. It is created by a chemical reaction.
    Pot, meet kettle.
    You just argued semantics.

Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    Pot, meet kettle.
    You just argued semantics.
    I'll assume you stopped reading at that point rather than assuming you have no reading comprehension.

I couldn't stand reading past page eleven. Have we moved away from the Your Best Warrior Versus My Best Warrior approach to arguing against an as-yet to be disproven scientific framework lifetimes in the making?

10+ Year Old Account
    The problem with Darwin is that, although On the Origin of Species had plenty of begetting, it lacked enough smiting, and certain people like their books to have lots and lots of smiting in order to believe them.

Looking at the history of humans, you can see the evolutionary changes that we as a race have made, as a whole. And then you can look at different areas of the world and see how different races have evolved to handle the living environments that they are in. We are scientific proof