Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

Feds raid Texas secessionist meeting.

It seemed like a typical congressional meeting for the Republic of Texas. Senators and the president gathered in the center of a Bryan, Texas, meeting hall, surrounded by public onlookers, to debate issues of the national currency, develop international relations and celebrate the birthday of one of their oldest members.

But this wasn't 1836, and this would be no ordinary legislative conference. Minutes into the meeting a man among the onlookers stood and moved to open the hall door, letting in an armed and armored force of the Bryan Police Department, the Brazos County Sheriff's Office, the Kerr County Sheriff's Office, Agents of the Texas District Attorney, the Texas Rangers and the FBI.

In the end, at least 20 officers corralled, searched and fingerprinted all 60 meeting attendees, before seizing all cellphones and recording equipment in a Valentine's Day 2015 raid on the Texas separatist group. http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/hou...ng-6096637.php

Can you just take everyone's cellphone? I don't know the law on this but that seems like an invasion of privacy.

You can if they had a warrant.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Can you just take everyone's cellphone? I don't know the law on this but that seems like an invasion of privacy.
    I'm pretty sure they can, under Title 5 of the Patriot Act.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
    You can if they had a warrant.
    Not needed if they are suspected of terrorism. They even get a gag order to not talk about it.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

7+ Year Old Account
    I doubt they would have done it without a warrant, now whether the warrant had grounds to be served will be taken up at trail. Just because a warrant is served doesn't mean it should have been, and just because it is declined doesn't mean it wasn't the right thing to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    God made humans to give handjobs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stop Pretending View Post
    Being older isn't an excuse for being wrong or obtuse. Grats on being the guy that makes me side with Didactic.

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Not needed if they are suspected of terrorism. They even get a gag order to not talk about it.
    http://www.cnn.com/2015/02/19/politi...land-security/

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's fine Texas, you can leave. I've heard that most southern states are just a money drain anyway. So you go away and we'll see how that goes for you.

- - - Updated - - -

The land of the free; to be abused and have your liberties taken from you on a whim.

10+ Year Old Account
    Under this administration? Do you seriously think they give a damn about "the law?" Good one!

"History does not allow freedom to be defended by the weak and the timid." -- Dwight D. Eisenhower, 1953

Lol dude, the federal government can do as they please, who is going to stop them? I don't know how people don't realize this by now.

7+ Year Old Account
    Is it bad that all I can think of is, thank god it isn't South Carolina for once?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    God made humans to give handjobs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stop Pretending View Post
    Being older isn't an excuse for being wrong or obtuse. Grats on being the guy that makes me side with Didactic.

10+ Year Old Account
    If this would have been a group of Muslims or anybody else, my guess is the narrative would be something else here. I think ill side with the Feds on this until there is a good reason not to.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

15+ Year Old Account
    I just love that name, the "patriot act". Surprised there's no "American exceptionalism act" that let's them seize your house or "freedom eagle act" to deny your right to representation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    If this would have been a group of Muslims or anybody else, my guess is the narrative would be something else here. I think ill side with the Feds on this until there is a good reason not to.
    It's over reach... They should have been served a warrant at the very least...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

- - - Updated - - -

It says in the article they were suspected of a misdemeanor for sending the letters to the judge and other person. They were not suspected of terrorism lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    It's fine Texas, you can leave. I've heard that most southern states are just a money drain anyway. So you go away and we'll see how that goes for you.

- - - Updated - - -

The land of the free; to be abused and have your liberties taken from you on a whim.
    But before that they have to give us all the military assets the United States has on its lands. Those do not belong to Texas, they belong to the US. Sheppard, Lackland, etc. The fighter jets, the training facilities, everything.

You leave, you give the military its goods.
    Putin khuliyo

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I wish secessionist would just take initiative and leave on their own.

From the article "He acknowledged he used a "show of force," grouping officers from city, county state and federal law enforcement to serve a search warrant for suspicions of a misdemeanor crime."

Not everyone in the room of 60 people were suspected in that misdemeanor crime.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    I just love that name, the "patriot act". Surprised there's no "American exceptionalism act" that let's them seize your house or "freedom eagle act" to deny your right to representation.
    It's an acronym:

Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism Act of 2001

That's some spin skill...

- - - Updated - - -

It says in the article they were suspected of a misdemeanor for sending the letters to the judge and other person. They were not suspected of terrorism lol.
    That's a lot of force over sending a letter to a judge...

10+ Year Old Account
    Might have an illegal raid or not, either way I find it pretty funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Drsolders View Post
    I doubt they would have done it without a warrant, now whether the warrant had grounds to be served will be taken up at trail. Just because a warrant is served doesn't mean it should have been, and just because it is declined doesn't mean it wasn't the right thing to do.
    How does the warrant cover everyone? You don't even know how many people will be there.

15+ Year Old Account
    It's an acronym:

Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism Act of 2001

That's some spin skill...
    Haha! Man, they are excellent at branding.