Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Are any news stations honest and not over-dramatic?
    News stations? Probably not. News stories are rarely discussed in depth and without bias unless it's a major news story on a party-neutral issue.

NYT + WSJ covers my news needs well.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    There is a difference between painting things slightly diffrently and flat out lying :/.
    Of course, but to play devils advocate here, regardless of how much you do it (seeing as how thats the others news medias defense is "we don't do it as much as them, so it's ok") almost none of the lies any of these news stations are the parts that are news. They almost always are put as "Opinion Pieces" that can include people like Bill O'Reilly or Nancy Grace. If your only defense is, well we do it less than someone else, you don't have much of a defense. Which is why almost all cable news in the US is trash, FOX, MSNBC, CNN, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    God made humans to give handjobs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stop Pretending View Post
    Being older isn't an excuse for being wrong or obtuse. Grats on being the guy that makes me side with Didactic.

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    Fox News has a huge following who trusts them to deliver news. -snip- It means a lot of our countrymen are idiots. And these idiots unfortunately have some of the largest voter turnout of any group.
    I know a few people who watch it in the UK, entirely to laugh at it. I'd assume some of the USA viewer ship has the same intention. The likes of Jon Stewart, John Oliver, etc. also have to watch it to mock it.

It's probably just the sexist and racist op ed elements that people get so pissed off about. Their dissonant message of "keep religion out of government" and "get Christianity back in government" doesn't do them any favours either.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Woadnson View Post
    I know a few people who watch it in the UK, entirely to laugh at it. I'd assume some of the USA viewer ship has the same intention. The likes of Jon Stewart, John Oliver, etc. also have to watch it to mock it.

It's probably just the sexist and racist op ed elements that people get so pissed off about. Their dissonant message of "keep religion out of government" and "get Christianity back in government" doesn't do them any favours either.

There are plenty of conservatives who do actually watch it, but you just described the point. People are looking for confirmation bias. They already want those things, they are just looking for someone to tell them that. Same with the other news stations, want to hear the US is a police state and hunting black men all over the country? MSNBC is your choice. Want to hear that liberals are turning us communist, taking our guns, and going to cleanse us of our religion? Fox is your news.

Actually, you bring up a good point. I wonder if a decent portion of people watching Fox aren't just people looking for a way to bash them. Indirectly keeping them going by trying to find ways to criticize them, that would be some sweet irony.
    Being older isn't an excuse for being wrong or obtuse. Grats on being the guy that makes me side with Didactic.

Bleh, should read more pages.

I don't really consider the ABC in Australia to be particularly over the top dramatic or biased.

10+ Year Old Account
    CNN is just as bad if not worse.
    Here come the Irish.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Woadnson View Post
    I know a few people who watch it in the UK, entirely to laugh at it. I'd assume some of the USA viewer ship has the same intention.
    i know i do lol, ofc not watching it as actual news, and anything that does pique my interest gets researched and dies(usually)

i mean come on, the only way of being able to see into another world god created, and control certain denizens within with absolute perfection(they won't even do something to save their lives, like dodging fire)
    i mean...we don't only control them, but we can see BEHIND them, it's true third sight. (MMO's)
    only god can explain that.
    Still I cry, tears like pouring rain, Innocent is my lurid pain.

Quote Originally Posted by WillFeral View Post
    CNN is just as bad if not worse.
    I don't think it's worse but it's still pretty bad. They used to be a reputable news source :/

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    I don't think it's worse but it's still pretty bad. They used to be a reputable news source :/
    They all used to be, the reason they are becoming so extreme is that no one but the extreme people watch cable news anymore. A large majority has moved onto online news sources, which tend to be better. So the few that still stick around and watch them are those extreme people (In foxes case, a lot of older conservatives who haven't quite moved to computers).

Quote Originally Posted by Demoncrash View Post
    Fox news is awesome. You people are just desperate...

It's rather depressing how confident and sure of himself he sounds as he asks 'how the sun and the moon got there'.

All news channels have their bias, Fox is just the only one that people go crazy over.

Watch MSNBC one night and you could make the same 6 second clip.
    Last edited by Swagger; 2015-02-26 at 06:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drsolders View Post
    People are looking for confirmation bias.
    Thank you, the phrase I was failing to recall. There are people who watch it to laugh, people who watch for news and people who watch it, fly the flag, joined the tea party and cheered themselves as heroes after setting fire to abortion clinics.

It is important to remember though that there are the impressionable, who watch and quote their figures and... (let's go with) stories. Whilst they might sound like a devotee, their simple naivete means they simply don't know better (ie. to question, confirm, etc what they've heard). Not all Fox supporters are propping up their beliefs, some are having them moulded as we speak.

In this case I meant Vine, considering what they were trying to get across.
    Yeah I tried to stop at the following frame but my fast clicking lead to a double click event trigger and brought up the annoying "you need to be logged in to like" dialogue. I get it's made for shitty smart phones, but ugh, is it any better there?

10+ Year Old Account
    Whoever made that vine needs a slap up the head, its moving far too fast to be able to read what its actually saying.

15+ Year Old Account
    Damn those freedom hating euros and those countries and how they regulate minimum quality of what can be called news :/

Better with Kremlin & FOX lies.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    Damn those freedom hating euros and those countries and how they regulate minimum quality of what can be called news :/

Better with Kremlin, MSNBC, CNN, and FOX lies.
    FTFY /10chars

Quote Originally Posted by Rhine101 View Post
    While it is indeed scary, the above disturbs me.

Why the hell are the "sane" ones not voting? I feel like this is a hit on rationale people who are smart and not on these so called idiots. For as stupid as they are, they are still wise enough to get out there and vote. Or not lazy at least
    Through the electoral college's "winner-takes-all" solution for state votes, about 47% of all legitimate votes are inherently useless, namely all those that don't go to the party that wins. If the winning party in Texas had 20% of the votes, and 8 other parties would each have 10%, then all electoral votes of Texas go to the one winning party. The rest gets nothing. 80% of the votes result in nothing.

And since voter turn-out is still pretty damn large, with both of the only realistically existing two parties doing their best to convince people of their opinion with about mostly truthful statements, it quickly gets obvious that in certain states it doesn't change jack-shit if 50000 people do or do not vote.

BTW: This gets worse once you realise that 1 electoral vote stands for a different amount of people, depending on where you look. Wyoming gets 3 votes, but only has 584000 inhabitants. That's 1 vote per 195000 people. California has 55 votes for 38.8 million people. That's one vote per ~705000 people.
    So even if we leave aside the fact that any vote that doesn't go to the winning party becomes useless the moment the electoral college gets involved, then you'll still have the problem that the vote of a person in Wyoming is worth 3.5-times as much as one from a citizen of California.

PS: You guys also suffer from not being able to form coalitions, since your winner-takes-all-method has forced the originally multi-party-system the US had into a two-party-system over time.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drsolders View Post
    FTFY /10chars
    Hey I included them yesterday. Today only FOX will enjoy my attention given that it somehow is the largest culprit!
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    Hey I included them yesterday. Today only FOX will enjoy my attention given that it somehow is the largest culprit!
    Honey, sweet talking will never get my love ... Alright, maybe it will.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhine101 View Post
    What's the hate with Fox? I know they suck and are bias as hell, but aren't all the main news media?
    'Fox News' is a commentary not a news medium.